U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 02:11 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,779,823 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm making a pizza for a party this weekend, and I have a friend who is lactose intolerant. I decided to use a dairy-free cheese on the pizza so she can be included, but I have exactly zero experience with dairy-free cheese (I love my regular cheese too much!)

So what is the best brand out there to use? I don't want to go the cheap chemical-cheese route like Totinos (bleck)...I'd rather have something healthy and of good quality that actually tastes like mozzarella and melts. Also, I'd like one that tastes like cheddar and melts well as I like making taco pizzas as well.

Any help/thoughts? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

627 posts, read 1,859,126 times
If you can find it, Daiya is suppose to be the best. It will be available at Whole Foods nationwide April 1st.
Besides that, there are many delicious non-cheese pizza recipes. Check vegweb.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:09 PM

1,334 posts, read 4,590,943 times
I don't use cheese on my pizza. Instead I have extra sauce and more toppings, and when eating front of others, they always want to try it.

If I don't have sufficient toppings and want to drizzle something atop, I take some hummus and mix it with nutritional yeast. I water the mixture together until the desired consistency and drizzle across the top of a fresh out of the oven pizza. (Not an original idea; I've seen it on several foodie blogs.)

Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM

2,200 posts, read 3,779,823 times
I'll have to look for Daiya here...we have a Whole Foods in Omaha.

Any other suggestions? I'm afraid if I don't use cheese, people will be confused! Haha... (plus cheese is just delicious!)

Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,660,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
If I don't have sufficient toppings and want to drizzle something atop, I take some hummus and mix it with nutritional yeast. I water the mixture together until the desired consistency and drizzle across the top of a fresh out of the oven pizza. (Not an original idea; I've seen it on several foodie blogs.)
i've never heard of that before - sounds good!

to the op - seriously, every fake cheese i've ever had besides daiya melts and usually tastes weird. although i'm vegan - there may be some that contain casein (a milk protein) that are ok for lactose intolerant people and melt better than vegan cheese. there was a big scandal in philly when this restaurant that had supposedly homemade, amazing "vegan" cheese on their pizzas and hoagies turned out to be using a storebought brand with casein in it. unfortunately for you, i don't know what the brand was!

i wouldn't be too scared of going cheeseless - some italian pizza traditions even include cheeseless pies (neapolitan tomato pies). my husband and i are originally from the new haven ct area, and some famous pizzerias there consider cheese a topping that you pay extra for. whenever we'd get a few pies to share, plenty of non-vegans would eat slices of our cheeseless pie. before finding daiya (which was, like, the other day), we just had cheeseless pizza all the time. the only fake cheese we used was fake parmesan.

there's also a fake cheese called teese, made by chicago soydairy, that is decent, and follow your heart is ok. but they're seriously nothing compared to daiya.

Last edited by groar; 03-30-2010 at 07:09 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 AM

oh, you can also make a tofu ricotta - of course that doesn't really melt, but it tastes good! the cookbook "vegan with a vengeance" has a bunch of good pizza recipes using that (check it out from the library!)

Old 03-30-2010, 10:37 AM

627 posts, read 1,859,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I'll have to look for Daiya here...we have a Whole Foods in Omaha.

Any other suggestions? I'm afraid if I don't use cheese, people will be confused! Haha... (plus cheese is just delicious!)
I've made pizzas without cheese that are more delicious than with cheese.
Don't be afraid to try something new.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
to the op - seriously, every fake cheese i've ever had besides daiya melts and usually tastes weird.
i'm always second- guessing myself - i meant that other fake cheeses MELT weird (if they melt at all).

Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,245,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
Original or not, I'd never heard of it. Good to know about...

OP: if you're still around, I know there's a Rice-based cheese (vegan) that's available. (I don't really like it).

Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 AM

4,267 posts, read 5,291,441 times
I make the cheese sauce form this recipe: VegNews : What's Cooking?*Macaroni & Cheese and put it on pizza. Sometimes I omit the carrots because I like it to look more like Mozzarella. You can also get away with omitting the shallots if you don't have any on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food