Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

Hi, vegetarians out there... help me understand more about your eating habits, please.

I am deeply inclined to vegetarianism but cannot, for the life of me, cut all meat, poultry, etc.
I am definitely keeping my fish/eggs/cheese.
I would like to reduce meat and poultry dramatically as I am sure it is so much better not to have much of both.

How did you become a vegetarian? Please no growling, defensive answers, etc. Just a reasonable answer to a reasonable question.

I often search for recipes using the so-called meat/poultry alternatives, but some of them are just not meant to be. I would much rather have a true, honest veggie than one disguised as a sausage. However, all I see is tofu, tofu, tofu, and one can only cook so many recipes with it. The other day I really wanted to cook something with it but it looked so sad, like a styrofoam block
Would you suggest anything? Help a tofu enthusiast, please!

I love veggie burgers and make my own on occasion: less processed stuff, less salt, and very tasty!!

All suggestions are much appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 02:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
However, all I see is tofu, tofu, tofu, and one can only cook so many recipes with it. The other day I really wanted to cook something with it but it looked so sad, like a styrofoam block
Would you suggest anything? Help a tofu enthusiast, please
There is a great thread on cooking with tofu here:

Tofu

If you want to be inspired, you might try looking into some vegetarian cookbooks. There are a bunch listed in this thread:

Good Vegetarian cookbooks

Why not head to your local library and "test ride" a few before you plunk down your cash?

Good luck and have fun in the kitchen.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:11 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
I rarely eat tofu or processed faux meats. There are many cookbooks out that offer recipes without soy products. (Check out the link posted by the PP)

IMOP, you just need to get your head in the right place. If it's something you want to do, then do it. Don't think of it as being 'hard' or make excuses.

In the end, it's your body, it's your diet and you can do whatever you want...whether it be no red meat or no meat at all or only fish or totally vegan. Whatever you chose, be excited about the journey!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
I wonder myself why consumption of meat is on the rise around the globe. The thing is that the meat like substances produced & distributed by agrobiz are mighty bland if not tasteless (salt&pepper aside), just like rubber. Another thing is that 80% (wild guess) of Americans would never taste "real" tasting meat (or a vegetable for that matter) in their lives to understand what I mean (and what they'd miss)

Some say meat and its byproducts are mildly addictive, and I believe it to be true. Most folks are hooked on meat since childhood, some (like me) have a genetic mutation and I couldn't care less about meat withdrawals and looking for meat substitutes (to fool myself), I just don't have meat cravings. I've been around farms and slaughterhouses and I really doubt I would ever crave the stuff laying on store shelves.

You seems are hooked on meat already. So the first question is "Why bother?" Why do you want to cut down on meat? Health, environment, $$$, weight ...?

Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM

As most people, I grew up eating all kinds of foods.

I am not becoming a total vegetarian or a vegan, I just would like to make more vegetarian choices... as I think they are pretty great I wonder why they are not more widespread and many people still see vegetarians as "alternatives".

I understand healthwise it is way better to steer clear from excessive meat consumption. As wisely stated by a previous post, the "meat" we eat today is all but real, given the ridiculous amount of salt, preservatives and hormones it contains...

It is not a decision based on money, as vegetarian products are not highly consumed thus still expensive, what I find to be unfortunate. And I am working on my garden.

Thanks much, plaidmom! A kind referral to other posts and words of encouragement. All I needed!

Oh, btw, I am not "saying it is hard or making excuses", I am just trying to make healthier and more conscious choices.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Fish is meat.

We just decided one day to stop eating meat, and that was it. Never had it again. after a little while, you don't even think about it.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,694,513 times
For me I just don't eat meat very often and I just really really love non meat dishes! I don't want to make the total jump to vegitarian because I coudn't give up Sushi and Steamers I do enjoy Tofu when I dine out but I just eat it when I feel like it I don't make any big effort to "replace" meat. I don't really feel like it needs to be replaced and if my husband makes a burger on the grill I eat it and enjoy it. My only concern is I really wish he would buy beef that had been locally raised and I knew raised with kindness. The way that some farm animals are treated just breaks my heart I do find myself enjoying natural peanut butter a lot although I don't know if that has anything to do with anything though

Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM

When I said "meat" I obviously meant "beef" is this clear for everyone now?!

Great post, Aptor!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 PM

784 posts, read 3,119,960 times
Miaiam, I have been a vegetarian for almost 20 years but it took me a very long time to get there. In my 20s, a loooong time ago, I read something about how calves are raised for veal and decided not to eat veal any more. I knew that other animals were treated similarly, but stopping veal was my token "save the animals" effort. I had lots of reasons for wanting to become a vegetarian and equally lots of reasons why I couldn't give up meat--taste, inconvenience to friends when I went to eat at their homes, difficulties when traveling etc. But gradually, I stopped eating one kind of meat after another. Beef was the first to go because I began to have problems digesting it. But right up to the end I was still eating fish, chicken and eggs.

One day I read a book that made me want to change and I did. Looking back, I know in my heart that the desire to become vegetarian came from within me and not really from the book, but the book helped me take action.

So my advice to you is to go with your gut feelings, your intuition. Stop if you want to, don't stop if you don't. Don't feel guilty by what others say. When the time is right for you to give up meat, you will know.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
First of all I applaud your attempt to try vegetarianism, and for people who really like meat, it can be a difficult change.

TAKE it EASY! First of all I do eat meat analogues but not exclusivly. Talk about unhealthy and processed - meat takes the cake here.

Do not worry about being Vegan - i.e. cutting out dairy right away. It is a process for most people.

I post on "Whats For dinner Tonight" thread with frequency as of late.
Check out some of my dinner plans and some of the other posters.

Vegetarian food need not be complicated or expensive.

Good lock and GOOD FOR YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food