U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 PM

759 posts, read 2,568,805 times

Advertisements

I don't know what to eat for breakfast that will keep me going till lunch time. I am a lacto-vegetarian so can eat non-animal rennet cheese, but I would like to lose some weight and cheese is high fat mostly. Any suggestions on healthy and heavy protein for a vegetarian weight loss program. I always feel better after heavy protein like tofu or cheese. Actually I need lots of advice on the weight-loss thing, so please help. I need to lose 30 pounds.

Thanks
Carole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 02:29 PM

627 posts, read 1,864,118 times
I eat oatmeal with sugar and cinnamon, banana or apple, cup of orange juice.
Filling and healthy!

P.S. If you want more protein, replace OJ with protein powder & soy milk.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:47 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,485,808 times
I rotate a few different things for breakfast. They all have fiber and protein.

1) Whole Grain toast with peanut butter

2) Yogurt (I like soy, but dairy would work too) topped with high fiber cereal, slivered almonds and some dried fruit

3) High fiber cereal, with slivered almond and fruit (dried or fresh) and a little soy milk

4) Corn bread or corn bread muffins (I think cornmeal is also a good source of protein )

Old 06-03-2010, 03:40 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,743,627 times
Oatmeal topped with toasted walnuts or pecans is one of my favorites. It is very very satisfying.

I use the old-fashioned oats and add maple syrup, cinnamon, and a tiny splash of vanilla. Blue berries if I have them, then the toasted nuts (a drizzle of heavy cream is heavenly, but not so much if you are wanting to cut fat and calories ).

Rye toast is very filling. I like dark rye or pumpernickle with a schmear of neufchatel cheese and some fresh sliced strawberries.

A whole-grain bagle topped with almond butter and thinly sliced apple can be wonderful as well.

Good luck and bon appétit

Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM

627 posts, read 1,864,118 times
BTW CaroleF, you are right about cutting out the cheese. I cut dairy out of my diet and lost 25 pounds in 6 months.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:21 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,485,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
BTW CaroleF, you are right about cutting out the cheese. I cut dairy out of my diet and lost 25 pounds in 6 months.
I agree! I have been on and off the vegan train many times in my life and I have always been thinned when I cut the dairy out. In addition to the weight coming off with little effort, I always found I felt better, craved foods that are much healthier for me, and required less before feeling satisfied.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:17 AM

1,338 posts, read 4,604,237 times
A high protein, lo carb wrap with a tablespoon of almond butter and a small sliced banana in it always keeps me full.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:28 PM

18,677 posts, read 23,246,850 times
My favorites: Low fat Greek yogurt with a half cup of blueberries.

a smoothie made with a high quality protein powder and a half cup of fruit.

Free range organic egg white omelet with spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms and peppers.

A nice cup pf tea with agave and you will be set and full!

Old 06-16-2010, 05:41 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,608,485 times
Default A very healthy breakfast !

I do not eat any dairy ! Here's my favorite breakfast:

Cooked oat bran, prepared with enriched Rice Dream
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
topped with fresh fruit of choice ~ blueberries, strawberries, banana, pear, peach, etc.
Toasted Dave's Killer Bread with flaxseed oil on it (instead of butter)
Coffee with Chocolate Almond Breeze (instead of milk or cream)

Old 06-16-2010, 06:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 1,795,604 times
Little different but:

In a food processor, put a banana, apple, pear, plum

Pulse it, then add in cinnamon to taste. It will look like oatmeal.

When I put it ina bowl I top it with some chopped nuts, sliced berries, raisins, and some more cinnamon. No dairy added, no salt needed.

I have this 4 times a week at least. Gets you lots of enzymes and vitmains and keeps you full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food