Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:26 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A global shift towards a vegan diet is vital to save the world from hunger, fuel poverty and the worst impacts of climate change, a UN report said today.

As the global population surges towards a predicted 9.1 billion people by 2050, western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable, says the report from United Nations Environment Programme's (UNEP) international panel of sustainable resource management.
Read more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
YYYAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not that I will live to see this happen and large agribusiness conglomerates as well as a nation of zombies who equate hamburgers with patriotism will conspire to make it NOT happen...
It is STILL Soooo good to see what you know to be true to be recognized as true by an organization such as the U.N!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Allow me to throw in a Yay too.

20yrsinBranson
not there yet, but working on it.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:50 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,314 times
One problem here. Not all grain can be consumed by humans and not all areas can produce food for humans. Our area is good at produce'n meat, not veggies. it is just the way it is. Meat feeds and employes many people. This isn't a world of this or that. It's a mix, no one rule works.

Later

Old 06-14-2010, 06:38 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
One problem here. Not all grain can be consumed by humans and not all areas can produce food for humans. Our area is good at produce'n meat, not veggies. it is just the way it is. Meat feeds and employes many people. This isn't a world of this or that. It's a mix, no one rule works.

Later
Kansas is perfectly capable of growing crops. Not ALL crops need lots of irrigation. There are many types of grains that can be grown (teff, amaranth, quinoa) that are suited to poor soil and arid conditions. You have to think out of the box. There is much more to life than wheat, oats, rye and barley. Not only that, there are a wealth of fruits and vegetables grown in other countries that would flourish in the United States (even Kansas), if they were grown here. We have to learn to diversify our food sources and our palate. Americans have been "force fed" (pun intended) our dietary culture for too long and our obesity rates and the level of sickness in this nation proves it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Kansas is perfectly capable of growing crops. Not ALL crops need lots of irrigation. There are many types of grains that can be grown (teff, amaranth, quinoa) that are suited to poor soil and arid conditions. You have to think out of the box. There is much more to life than wheat, oats, rye and barley. Not only that, there are a wealth of fruits and vegetables grown in other countries that would flourish in the United States (even Kansas), if they were grown here. We have to learn to diversify our food sources and our palate. Americans have been "force fed" (pun intended) our dietary culture for too long and our obesity rates and the level of sickness in this nation proves it.

20yrsinBranson
Do you know where at or who in KS raises these crops?(teff, amaranth, quinoa) Niche markets can be lucrative. Any info would be great, thanks.

Also a list of these fruits and veggies that can be grown here that are only grown in other countries would be great.

Are you from KS? Have you farmed before in KS? Just wondered. If you did, what area?

Thanks

Thanks for the info, too.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:23 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man
I don't recall the article specifically stating that your little corner of Kansas should stop producing meat. Rather, the recommendation is that there should be an overall "[l]esser consumption of animal products." Specificially, the report seems to be focused on developing areas of the world:

Quote:
developing countries – where much of this population growth will take place – must not follow the western world's pattern of increasing consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man
Do you know where at or who in KS raises these crops?(teff, amaranth, quinoa) Niche markets can be lucrative. Any info would be great, thanks.
She didn't say that those specific crops could be grown in Kansas, just that "[t]here are many types of grains that can be grown (teff, amaranth, quinoa) that are suited to poor soil and arid conditions."

As long as it's economically viable for farmers to raise animals for slaughter, they'll continue to do so. The U.N. report merely states that "western tastes for diets rich in meat and dairy products are unsustainable."

I'm sure you'll find a way to fault that conclusion.

Again, no one is suggesting that you, personally, change how you operate.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-15-2010 at 06:14 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post

She didn't say that those specific crops could be grown in Kansas, um, yes she did, I'm just ask'n where and for some info. I AM interested.

Again, no one is suggesting that you, personally, change how you operate.
I know, I was just interested in some info.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon

She didn't say that those specific crops could be grown in Kansas
, um, yes she did,
I can see how you could mis-interpret her comments but sorry, no, she didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Kansas is perfectly capable of growing crops. Not ALL crops need lots of irrigation. There are many types of grains that can be grown (teff, amaranth, quinoa) that are suited to poor soil and arid conditions. You have to think out of the box. There is much more to life than wheat, oats, rye and barley. Not only that, there are a wealth of fruits and vegetables grown in other countries that would flourish in the United States (even Kansas), if they were grown here.
So, may we now get back to the OP's topic? That is, of course, the UN's statement that -- globally -- there needs to be a move towards a more vegetarian/vegan diet.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-15-2010 at 06:43 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,472,373 times
Clear as day.

I noticed (I read the article) that the UN statement did not suggest that meat must be eliminated. But there is a NEED to move towards less consumption of meat as a primary source of food. The subject is a matter of survival, not necessarily one of desire on the UN's part.

There are many studies from meat-eating university and science-types, which clearly substantiate the projection that we cannot sustain our current food supply. Included in that projection is the loss of water supply. The statement by the UN as well as the studies I mentioned are pretty simple and forthright.

I have already quoted sources somewhere on here, but anyone can look them up and read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food