Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Is there any place that makes these or ships them? I am well aware that Eastern European food is not to Veg friendly - however anyone who has ever traveled in the former Soviet Union and the Satellite States would find as I have - that meat is more of a side dish.

Any recipies for vegan pierogies or variniki?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
They do exist because I've seen them on the menu of a couple of my haunts with vegan options.

Here's a recipe I found on vegweb. I'll also try to remember to look in some of my favorite cookbooks for you.

1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon soy margarine
1/4-1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Cut potatoes into chunks and boil until tender. Drain. Saute onions in water until translucent. Whip potatoes with garlic, parsley, margarine, milk, salt, and pepper. Stir in onions. Set aside.

Prepare dough by combining flour, water, and olive oil. Knead until smooth, adding very small amounts (1/8 tsp) of water if necessary.

Cut off a strawberry-size piece of dough and roll it into a circle. The dough should be rolled quite thin--just thick enough that it doesn't tear too easily. The standard size of pierogies is about a 3-inch diameter, but I like to make an assortment of sizes. Put a tablespoon or so of the potato mixture on the dough circle (more of less, depending on the size), fold one side over so it is a semi-circle, and seal shut. You may need some water if the dough has begun to dry out.

**Caution: Do not put uncooked pierogies on a paper plate. They will stick. Use a regular plate or cookie sheet.

After all the pierogies have been made, you can either freeze them, refrigerate them for a few days, or go ahead and cook them.

To cook: Boil pierogies in water for a few minutes. They cook quickly. Heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Brown pierogies on each side.

You can top pierogies in a variety of ways: tofu sour cream, tomato sauce, salsa, ketchup, etc. Of course, you can also eat them plain. Also, the ingredients in the potato filling can be varied. Bon appetit!

Serves: 2-4

Preparation time: 1 hour

Old 06-06-2010, 08:46 AM

Sounds very good! Thanks, JJingle!

Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
I love me some pierogies..we used to get veg ones that had mushroom, sour cream and sauerkraut filling. OMG. Why isn't there a 'yuuuuum' icon?

Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,649 times
The only ones I have ever had have been filled wisth potato and cheese or potato and onion. I don't really get the sauerkraut ones, but they are there. I don't think I have ever even seen any with meat. Mushroom sounds really good. I have had sour cream and appleasauce on top, but not inside.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 PM

so does anyone know of a place that will deliver these delights?
I know that Polana Foods has pierogies but I am not sure if the dough i.e. the needle paet is vegan.
Anyone know?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
pierogie dough often has egg in it, so you have to be careful about that. you should e-mail polana foods or see if they have an ingredient list on their website.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:58 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Is there any place that makes these or ships them? I am well aware that Eastern European food is not to Veg friendly - however anyone who has ever traveled in the former Soviet Union and the Satellite States would find as I have - that meat is more of a side dish.

Any recipies for vegan pierogies or variniki?

Thanks!
First--I'd have to know if eggs are verboten.

I've made varenyky, but the dough used one egg, though there is probably something you could substitute for it, and stuffed them with either mashed potatoes or sauerkraut. No meat in it.

You know, I should look up that gnocchi recipe. It's really pretty close to the same sort of dough texture wise, and method of cooking. I don't think it had egg in it at all.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:11 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
First--I'd have to know if eggs are verboten.

I've made varenyky, but the dough used one egg, though there is probably something you could substitute for it, and stuffed them with either mashed potatoes or sauerkraut. No meat in it.

You know, I should look up that gnocchi recipe. It's really pretty close to the same sort of dough texture wise, and method of cooking. I don't think it had egg in it at all.
Well first, it's Vegan so yeah she deffo wants no eggs.

And gnocchi is one of my specialties and I've never made it w/out egg.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't know how the various things work. I've even known "vegetarians" who eat fish. I've known people to call themselves vegetarians and just not eat red meat. Some eat eggs and dairy, some don't.

If you're sure the gnocchi has egg, then you're probably right. Perhaps there is something that can do what an egg does, without being an egg. It pulls things together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food