U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,261,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
-Downtown Ventura to Esplanade-

Any particular reason to take the roundabout way, rather than just ride straight down Main street until I get there? That seems a lot faster. I'd probably be making that ride in reverse, actually, heading downtown after getting dropped off by the vista.
Generally speaking, the best cross-town streets for bikes in Ventura are Santa Clara, San Nicholas and Loma Vista. Main Street is not very bike friendly, nor does it go all the way to Oxnard. You'd have to jog over to Market St./Valentine Road at some point, take it to the end near Victoria, cross some private property, the railroad-tracks and connect with Auto Center Drive. Or, use Walker St./Ventura Blvd. Either case involves the area near Victoria and the 101, which is a meat-grinder for bicyclists.

You're better off using the beach/Harbor Bl./Olivas Park route, where you have a dedicated bike path for part of the way, clearly marked bike lanes, and a whole lot less cross traffic. It's a little further, but a lot less problematic.

Alternately there is a pretty good bike route through Todd Ranch (Telephone east of Johnson). It uses low-traffic bike-friendly streets and dedicated bike paths. Let me know if you want specifics on this route.

If you're riding in reverse, don't forget about SCAT's route 6. It runs every 15 minutes, or so, most of the day. VISTA's Highway 101 line also goes between Oxnard and Ventura, but it's not so frequent during the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 12:07 PM

3,082 posts, read 9,131,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Generally speaking, the best cross-town streets for bikes in Ventura are Santa Clara, San Nicholas and Loma Vista. Main Street is not very bike friendly, nor does it go all the way to Oxnard. You'd have to jog over to Market St./Valentine Road at some point, take it to the end near Victoria, cross some private property, the railroad-tracks and connect with Auto Center Drive. Or, use Walker St./Ventura Blvd. Either case involves the area near Victoria and the 101, which is a meat-grinder for bicyclists.
Ah, I see. I'm a pretty fast rider, so I'd chose the safer route over the shorter route. I'll probably only be riding this once or twice a week at most, anyway, as I'm hoping to surf (and thus drive) 3-4 days a week. Also, riding along the beach and being able to check C-street on my way home sounds really appealing.

Quote:
Alternately there is a pretty good bike route through Todd Ranch (Telephone east of Johnson). It uses low-traffic bike-friendly streets and dedicated bike paths. Let me know if you want specifics on this route.
Sure, I'll check it out via google maps.

Quote:
If you're riding in reverse, don't forget about SCAT's route 6. It runs every 15 minutes, or so, most of the day. VISTA's Highway 101 line also goes between Oxnard and Ventura, but it's not so frequent during the evening.
About how long a bus ride is that? The bike ride looks to be about 15 minutes. I currently ride 15 miles to work in about an hour, but that includes a LOT of stoplights. I think I can spare 15-30 minutes a day, anyway. The exercise is good for me. Which is why I don't take the bus currently, as well.

It's hard to believe, with a bus line and a rail line going to the Canoga Park/Chattsworth/Warner Center area, that there's not a single bus or train that leaves after 8AM. More people need to be lazy like me!

Hopefully, I can find a carpool to ease the daily driving pain for the mornings I don't get up at some ungodly hour to catch the VISTA or Amtrak.

Thanks for all the info, cre8.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Bike route

Sponger42, regarding the bus, yes, the service levels certainly could be improved. The SCAT line 6 takes a while between Ox/Ven, so riding your bike is probably best. The bus is good for lazy times. The VISTA 101 goes express between the Esplanade and Ventura. It's much faster than SCAT, but doesn't run as often.

By bike the beach route is by far the most sane. It's probably around 7 miles. If you want to try the "Todd Ranch" route, I've outlined it for you. The route includes several dedicated bike paths that you might not otherwise find, so I've included some Google maps. This route works very well between Onxard and Ventura.

From downtown Ventura to Esplanade:
East - Santa Clara/San Nicholas

IMAGE 1
East - Loma Vista to the end, zig-zag over to Hill St.
South - Hill street, over the bike/ped bridge at Hwy 126.
East - Bike/ped path to greenspace at the north end of Johnson Dr.
South - Johnson Dr.
Left (east) - Telephone Rd -- NOTE: bike lane is on sidewalk.

IMAGE 2
South - bike path at the barranca by Todd Ranch. NOTE: there are two bike paths, one on either side of the barranca.
At end of bike path (at Ralston) continue south on Antelope Avenue.
Right (west) - Bristol Road for about 500 feet.
Left onto bike path on west side of barranca.
Continue bike path all the way to 101.

IMAGE 3
Go over the river on 101 bike path.
On Oxnard side, go under freeway to Wagon Wheel Rd; take it all the way to Esplanade Dr.
Attached Thumbnails
101 Commute from Downtown Ventura to Warner Center Area!-1_hill_126_johnson.jpg   101 Commute from Downtown Ventura to Warner Center Area!-2_toddranch_montalvo.jpg   101 Commute from Downtown Ventura to Warner Center Area!-3_montalvo_oxnard.jpg  

Last edited by Winston Smith; 06-21-2007 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 05:50 PM

Thanks again Cre8! Bumping this for my own edification. Maybe more later...

Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM

Default One Step Closer

We went apartment-hunting yesterday. Didn't find much open, but we've got a lot more looking to do.

Thanks for all the help, Cre8! I'm going to make a test-run next week.

Just need to get the wife out of her current job and into one in Chattsworth so we can commute together.

As far as apartments go: We're searching for something within walking distance of California and Main, around or bigger than 700 sqft (625, well-arranged would be a bare minimum) for 900-1300.

Anybody have any suggestions? Seems like the West end of Main is our best bet.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:52 PM

WOOT!
-Wife got the freelance job she was after.
-Found the perfect apartment at the perfect price (waiting for their call after the credit check).

Planning to investigate the commute this Thursday to see how bad the 101 can get.

The metrolink is kind of out. It just takes too long, and the connections just aren't there. There's a 20 minute bike ride or a 30 minute bus ride on the Chattsworth end. As much as I like the idea of relaxing on the train, for $7.50 a day and minimum 3 hours commute time, it's going to be a rarity that I am not one of the bodies clogging up the 101. It's $9 in gas to drive, but that $2.50 buys me an extra 1.5 hours of free time.

I have one last gasp question for you, cre8: Can you use the metrolink ($7.50) tickets to travel from Ventura Station, on the Amtrak, to Chattsworth? I know you can go from Oxnard, but Ventura is one stop further along the line and the metrolink ventura line doesn't go out that far. I don't want to ride/drive to Oxnard--especially not for the ridiculously early pre-7AM metrolink train--AND ride to Warner Center. That would be a 4 hour commute every day! Equivilant Amtrak tickets would be $30/day. Stupid Amtrak. I love riding it, but it's just too darn expensive. San Diego is 50 bucks pp round trip!!

So, does anyone want to carpool from downtown Ventura to Warner Center?
Leave VTU: 8:30AM
Arrive WNR: 9:15AM (Hopeful Thinking)
Leave WRN: 5:15PM
Arrive VTU: ~6:00PM (Wishful thinking)

Alternative (Some days, probably Thurs-Fri)
Leave VTU: 6:15AM
Arrive WRN: 7:00AM
Leave WRN: 3:00PM
Arrive VTU: 3:45PM (Hopeful Thinking?)

Old 10-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
WOOT!
-Wife got the freelance job she was after.
-Found the perfect apartment at the perfect price (waiting for their call after the credit check)

I have one last gasp question for you, cre8: Can you use the metrolink ($7.50) tickets to travel from Ventura Station, on the Amtrak, to Chattsworth? I know you can go from Oxnard, but Ventura is one stop further along the line and the metrolink ventura line doesn't go out that far.
Right on, sponger42, congratulations to your wife on the freelance job, and on the potential perfect apartment.

I doubt that you can use your Metrolink ticket on Amtrak from the Ventura station (at the fairgrouds), but Metrolink's Ventura stop is also its terminus at the Montalvo platform. The station is off Ventura Blvd just south of Victoria, Metrolink :: Montalvo. It's quite possible that an Amtrak ticket to Ventura would allow you a Metrolink ride to Montalvo, or Metrolink/Montalvo to Amtrak/Ventura. Check Metrolink :: Rail 2 Rail. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM

Well, the commute was pretty good. I left at 8:40 and arrived at 9:30 after hitting one slowdown. On the way back, I left at 5:42 and arrived at 6:30 hitting two slowdowns. But nothing like the traffic between Warner Center and NOHO or any place heading toward LA.

So, it looks like the commute will be 40-50 minutes one-way. Not ideal, but not terrible. Hopefully I can find a carpool and maybe take the train some days. Anyway, this is actually a short-term (<1year) thing just to have a chance to live near the water.

Now, if the darn apartment manager would call me back...

Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Hooray! I'm moved!

Cre8, thanks for all your help.

I need to get in to Warner Center tomorrow without a car. I have 3 options:

1. Amtrak: I ride 3 minutes down the street at 7:10, hop on the amtrak, pay the astronomical fare and relax all the way to CWT station, where I ride 20 minutes to get to work. Total travel time/cost ~1.5 hours. $15

2. Metrolink: I ride 10 minutes down to the Montalvo transit hub around 6:10, hop on the metrolink, pay the fare, ride to CWT, and ride 20 mins to work. Total: ~1.5 hours, $9.

3. VISTA: I ride 20?? minutes along the route you proscribed to the Esplande mall. Hop on the vista, pay the pittance, and ride all the way straight to work, almost. Total: ~1.5 hours, $2. The only problem is it is a long ride in the dark along a route I don't really know. Does the highway bicycle bridge come off of Johnson drive?

I'm leaning toward #1 for ease of use, but still debating.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Hooray! I'm moved!

Cre8, thanks for all your help.

I need to get in to Warner Center tomorrow without a car. I have 3 options:

1. Amtrak: I ride 3 minutes down the street at 7:10, hop on the amtrak, pay the astronomical fare and relax all the way to CWT station, where I ride 20 minutes to get to work. Total travel time/cost ~1.5 hours. $15

2. Metrolink: I ride 10 minutes down to the Montalvo transit hub around 6:10, hop on the metrolink, pay the fare, ride to CWT, and ride 20 mins to work. Total: ~1.5 hours, $9.

3. VISTA: I ride 20?? minutes along the route you proscribed to the Esplande mall. Hop on the vista, pay the pittance, and ride all the way straight to work, almost. Total: ~1.5 hours, $2. The only problem is it is a long ride in the dark along a route I don't really know. Does the highway bicycle bridge come off of Johnson drive?

I'm leaning toward #1 for ease of use, but still debating.
Right on, dude! From what I've gleaned of your personality, you'll like living in/near downtown Ventura (3 mins from Amtrak). Sounds like no matter what, you'll have a 20-30 min bike ride on one side or the other. Personally, I'd prefer to ride my bike in Ventura/Oxnard than in the SFV.

The 101's bike path does indeed let you out on Johnson Dr. I would seriously consider the beach route to Olivas Park Drive and through the auto center area. It's flat with clearly marked bike lanes for the section you'll be on the thoroughfares. If you want I can get you another Google Earth map of the exact route through Pierpont and the Keys. Let me know. The recommended bike route is marked by signs, too. The route through Todd Ranch is just an alternate for your info. That route has a bit of a climb along Loma Vista.

Regarding VISTA, the last thing you might check is catching the local bus, line 6 A/B, from the PV Mall over to the Esplanade, Welcome Aboard the Gold Coast Transit Website! (broken link). Or, catching VISTA's 101 route at the PV Mall at 5:50 a.m. It'll drop you at the Esplanade at 6:00 where you can catch the Conejo Connection at 6:08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County