Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 AM

30 posts, read 63,554 times

Advertisements

I'd absolutely look into Ventura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:53 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,146,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Camarillo and east into Thousand Oaks/Conejo Valley/Moorpark Simi: Family neighborhoods, possible too boring but nice places to live.
Oxnard: Some bad parts, some OK parts, great weather, close commute
Ventura: Best bet for single scene on the Oxnard Plain, excellent weather, historical, probably the "coolest" or "hippest".
Santa Barbara: Too far, very expensive
Santa Paula: Too far, too family, semi-rural
I pretty much go along with this except I will add there are some great coastal spots in Oxnard and the north part is developing (e.g. Riverpark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Ventura sounds like your best bet, but don't write off Oxnard, there are some very nice parts.

Ventura is slightly 'hipper' than some of the sleepier communities in the county, but not so hip it hurts. Personally I got bored after a while as I'm use to living in large vibrant cities with a lot of culture on offer.

I think a good place of reference is Ventura County Star: Local Ventura, California News Delivered Throughout the Day. - it's the daily newspaper for Ventura County, which has quite an interactive on line community....you might want to hit up some of the posters.

The VC Reporter I guess is the equivalent to The Stranger and is also online.
The VC Star has a collection of regular commenters and for the most part are off their rocker. I would not take their comments very seriously. They just bash each other. It is entertaining though.

Personally, I would not bother with Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, or Simi. yes they are fabulous towns (very safe, great schools) but the commute to Oxnard won't be the best. It isn't bad but unless you wish to raise a family, the east Ventura County may be too quiet.

Downtown Ventura has the biggest nightlife in the area. It pales in comparison to Los Angeles, Santa Monica, or Hollywood but it is probably where I would start.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:25 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
I believe he also wrote 'Ghetto' also...I don't see any racial bias in his post.
"White trash" is a racial epithet.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:29 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
It's a social economic label.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 14,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
Well that changes everything,rent a 1bd/condo in Malibu or its environs and spend at least 12 hours a day out of the house commute/work.
Don't worry about the space because after a few weeks you wont be seeing that much of your girlfriend anyway.
Joking aside Charles idea of Ventura is to be seriously checked out.

Haahahhaaa...

Old 08-24-2010, 10:38 AM

6 posts, read 14,694 times
Quote:
Ventura sounds like your best bet, but don't write off Oxnard, there are some very nice parts.

Ventura is slightly 'hipper' than some of the sleepier communities in the county, but not so hip it hurts. Personally I got bored after a while as I'm use to living in large vibrant cities with a lot of culture on offer.

I think a good place of reference is Ventura County Star: Local Ventura, California News Delivered Throughout the Day. - it's the daily newspaper for Ventura County, which has quite an interactive on line community....you might want to hit up some of the posters.

The VC Reporter I guess is the equivalent to The Stranger and is also online.
Thank you

Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Oxnard has had a bad rep for many years, but from what I've seen and heard the area is quickly becoming more desirable.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:34 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Not always. Some people are quite proud to call themselves "white trash" and they fully live up to the title, just as some people brag about being from "the ghetto."

I lived in AZ for 9 years, in the areas of Higley, East Mesa and Central Mesa. So, I can fully understand why the OP has included labels for certain types of areas.

Apache Junction / some areas of East Mesa = Enclaves of white trash culture

Lower Buckeye area = Ghetto

Snotsdale (I mean Scottsdale) = Barbie *******

These labels are not meant to be denigrating, they are very real and valid descriptors of particular areas.

For the record, Tony, some might make the claim that Simi Valley is full of "white trash." Ignore them. Simi does have a predominantly white population and for reasons unbeknownst to me some see this as evidence that Simi is full of rednecks and racists.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:15 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
I'm in Oxnard and love the area....I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I've been here for almost 10 years and haven't had any issues...I'm in Riverpark though and I like it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:51 PM

168 posts, read 549,245 times
yeah I bought a house in North East Oxnard last year. No regrets. Best bang for the bucks. I'm glad I didn't listen to a people that dont know anything about Oxnard except for making stupid remarks.
Got a newer house in a gated community with awesome neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County