Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB1210 View Post
Excellent point. I definitely want to stay away from the concrete jungle, I dealt with that for 3 years living in Chicago. Views of hills, mountains or beaches is what I am looking for. I've had some difficulty finding anything decent around the beach and while it was my first thought, it's not a priority. I found one complex, Malibu Canyon Apartments. What do you know about that area?

Thanks!
Okay, from a professional point of view (I'm in the leasing business) I hear good things about Malibu Canyon. They are one of our competitors but I would highly recommend them to you. Its in a nice "in-between" location for Ventura beaches and L.A. nightlife. By the way, Ventura beaches ARE nicer than those in L.A. County. However, if you are a smoker Calabasas will NOT be a very friendly place for you and smoking laws are very, very strict. If you are a non-smoker you will love it Its an upscale area and full of young professionals. My son worked in Calabasas and loved it. But he also loved seeing the top-dollar vehicles parked everywhere, LOL!

In regards to recommendations other than housing, what do you like to do in your free time? Nature? Museums? Nightlife? Lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM

5 posts, read 9,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Okay, from a professional point of view (I'm in the leasing business) I hear good things about Malibu Canyon. They are one of our competitors but I would highly recommend them to you. Its in a nice "in-between" location for Ventura beaches and L.A. nightlife. By the way, Ventura beaches ARE nicer than those in L.A. County. However, if you are a smoker Calabasas will NOT be a very friendly place for you and smoking laws are very, very strict. If you are a non-smoker you will love it Its an upscale area and full of young professionals. My son worked in Calabasas and loved it. But he also loved seeing the top-dollar vehicles parked everywhere, LOL!

In regards to recommendations other than housing, what do you like to do in your free time? Nature? Museums? Nightlife? Lifestyle?
Which property management do you work for? My preference is to either find a nice place with an ocean view (doesn't have to be on the beach) but not a large complex or somewhere like Malibu Canyons, fairly isolated and away from traffic noise with nice mountain views. I dealt with enough noise living in Chicago. Do you know of any properties that offer ocean views? I don't know if I stated this earlier, but my monthly housing allowance is $2,000. If you have other ideas, please share!

I am a pretty laid back person and a NON smoker. In my free time I'm an avid golfer and runner. Other than golf I like to stay active and be outdoors. I don't really see myself as a museum person but I also like to see the sights if I'm in an unfamiliar area. My lifestyle is nothing out of the ordinary for someone my age, at least in the midwest. The only thing I don't enjoy is going to clubs - call me boring but it just doesn't do it for me! I know I'm not being too descriptive of myself but I'm open to most suggestions. Thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Which property management do you work for? My preference is to either find a nice place with an ocean view (doesn't have to be on the beach) but not a large complex or somewhere like Malibu Canyons, fairly isolated and away from traffic noise with nice mountain views. I dealt with enough noise living in Chicago. Do you know of any properties that offer ocean views? I don't know if I stated this earlier, but my monthly housing allowance is $2,000. If you have other ideas, please share!

I am a pretty laid back person and a NON smoker. In my free time I'm an avid golfer and runner. Other than golf I like to stay active and be outdoors. I don't really see myself as a museum person but I also like to see the sights if I'm in an unfamiliar area. My lifestyle is nothing out of the ordinary for someone my age, at least in the midwest. The only thing I don't enjoy is going to clubs - call me boring but it just doesn't do it for me! I know I'm not being too descriptive of myself but I'm open to most suggestions. Thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
I can't name the property management company I am working for at the moment, due to the fact that I need to make sure I keep my apartment until I am ready to move in October, LOL! If you rent in Ventura County you won't accidently rent from them. They are only in Los Angeles & Orange Counties.

Going by the lifestyle you've described I would say that Simi Valley is ideal for you. The Villas at Wood Ranch are right down the road from a golf course, plus there are a few other smaller ones scattered throughout the Wood Ranch community. They offer a full cardio & weights gym, 3 swimming pools, 3 jacuzzi spas, a lighted tennis court and I believe 3 or 4 laundry facilities. Also provided as a courtesy service are valet trash pickup from your front door, valet dry cleaning service and flex rent payments. Also located in Wood Ranch is the trail head to Long Canyon for hiking. There are also numerous running tracks and trails and the streets in the community are safe to run on, ride bikes or walk. Very little traffic. Within less than a 5 minute walk from the apartment complex you'll find a Ralph's grocery store, Starbucks, a bank, Subway sandwiches, a Postal center, an Italian restaurant, a bistro with live music on the weekends (retro kind of stuff, mostly from the 70's & 80's) and LOTS of parks nearby for picnicking, basketball, baseball, etc...

That is just in the Wood Ranch area. Simi Valley has over 25 public parks, a plethora of hiking, walking & running trails, a few decent places to go out for a drink with friends, like Judge Roy Beans. Decent crowd, not rowdy. The Simi Town Center offers a relaxed shopping experience and often has a live band playing for the shoppers. The Ronald Reagan Library is a must see, no matter what your political views are. The views from the hilltop are breathtaking and its a very friendly and welcoming place.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:37 AM

As a side note, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks are ranked highly as two of the safest cities in the United States. Simi Valley has a large population of police officers, sheriffs and deputies living in the city. They work predominantly in the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Orange and Kern. While out and about in Simi at any given time you probably have no less than 3 off-duty officers shopping, eating or hanging out where you are.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 PM

5 posts, read 9,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
As a side note, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks are ranked highly as two of the safest cities in the United States. Simi Valley has a large population of police officers, sheriffs and deputies living in the city. They work predominantly in the counties of Ventura, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Orange and Kern. While out and about in Simi at any given time you probably have no less than 3 off-duty officers shopping, eating or hanging out where you are.
I will check out the Villas at Wood Ranch. However, the only deal breaker is no washer/dryer in unit. I know I'm getting picky but that is something I just don't want to have to deal with. Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I will check out the Villas at Wood Ranch. However, the only deal breaker is no washer/dryer in unit. I know I'm getting picky but that is something I just don't want to have to deal with. Thanks again!
Ah, but they do come with a laundry room in the apartment, with hook ups, which will fit full sized washers and dryers Not many offer a washer & dryer in the unit. However, Indian Oaks does, in the east end of Simi.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
Both places I mentioned in my first post provide washer and dryer in unit. When we moved to Dallas we had hook ups only and bought our own. It's a good thing we did because it is one less expense for when we move into our house in a couple of months!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:13 PM

Default This is a nice change

I'm really enjoying the difference between our threads and those in other counties. Most of us are not refering to other members prefered Ventura County locations with nastiness or derision. Just friendly competition in promoting our towns, LOL!

I think this shows people interested in moving to Southern California the difference between L.A. County and Ventura County. While Los Angelos are telling other people to stay away, they aren't wanted, we have a more welcoming "open arms" approach to new residents

Listening to Van Morrison's "Dancing in the Moonlight" while typing this. I feel so warm and fuzzy now, LOL!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,225,619 times
I guess I am fortunate to have grown up and lived where I did for 27 years. It's pretty much all I know. Now that I'm not there, I guess I can kind of live vicariously through others seeking to live in my favorite places. I kind of took it for granted.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I kind of took it for granted.
I did, too. Very grateful that I can now go back to my hometown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County