U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,295,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Checking in with Capt. Nita, LOL!

Soontobe - You bought a new home? Is it in Ventura County? Yes, I'm being incredibly nosy, LOL!

Winston - the in-laws are still recovering from the loooooong flight, plus dealing with L.A. traffic during rush hour. Took them out shopping today and now they are both zonked out asleep on my sofa and love seat, LOL!
ok, keep checking in, we want to know how you are doing.

Mommy, Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,271,783 times
Checking in, Mommy Nita, LOL! My cute little mum-in-law has become quite the "cougar." The 80 year old "wee woman" is collecting new American boyfriends every where we go, LOL! Sis-in-law talked me into another pilgrimage to Albertson's grocery store tonight We are all having a very fun visit

Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 PM

16,587 posts, read 19,691,177 times
Is she fascinated with American grocery stores?

Old 11-06-2010, 07:13 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,926,991 times
Was it the newer Albertsons over by 24hr fitness?

I remember when I went to England, I thought the grocery stores were way too small.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Is she fascinated with American grocery stores?
She is now! LOL! Stores in the UK are very different

Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Was it the newer Albertsons over by 24hr fitness?

I remember when I went to England, I thought the grocery stores were way too small.
The one on Madera & Royal Yes, the grocery stores in the UK do tend to be small compared to American stores. Plus, we have a much larger selection in everything.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 AM

12,312 posts, read 10,209,535 times
Are they from small town? The UK has numerous large grocery stores, in fact some of the supply-chain methods used in the US were developed first by Tesco, as you can see:

File:Tesco Kingston Park.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have big stores in the UK too.

Old 11-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Are they from small town? The UK has numerous large grocery stores, in fact some of the supply-chain methods used in the US were developed first by Tesco, as you can see:

File:Tesco Kingston Park.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have big stores in the UK too.
Yes, I know they have "big" stores in the UK. Lived there for 8 years and used to shop at the Kingston Park Tesco you have cited. I was able to get my American-style chocolate cakes there But, when compared with American stores they are still small in comparison and have nowhere near the amount of food items that we have. My in-laws are from Newcastle, which is over twice the size on Simi Valley, where the Kingston Park shop is located. Kingston Park (aka Kinky Park) is an estate within the boundaries of Newcastle upon Tyne. Furthermore, unlike Albertsons, Tesco is a full-service shop which would best be compared with Wal-Mart or Target. Incidently, the ASDA stores in the UK are owned by Wal-Mart. Neither ASDA nor Tesco are just grocery stores like Albertsons. On the other hand, the Fresh & Easy stores opening up all over California are a UK owned company, which operate in conjunction with Tesco. In other words, Fresh & Easy is a popular food product line sold through Tesco stores in the UK. Only about 1/3 of the floor space in Tesco is dedicated to grocery items.

So, you are wrong. The UK does NOT have GROCERY stores which are as large as American ones. My in-laws have also lived in London, where larger grocery stores would be expected if they exist. They do not.

Last edited by Cyanna; 11-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-07-2010, 03:00 PM

12,312 posts, read 10,209,535 times
Quote:
YBut, when compared with American stores they are still small in comparison and have nowhere near the amount of food items that we have. My in-laws are from Newcastle, which is over twice the size on Simi Valley, where the Kingston Park shop is located.
If you replaced "American stores", with "stores in the greater Los Angeles", I would agree, but most of the US is not like the LA metro area. The sort of variety we have here is not available in much of the country. Also, Simi Valley is not an isolated city, rather its part of the greater Los Angeles, on the other hand Newcastle is part of a metro area that is around 20 times smaller. There is no comparison.

Quote:
My in-laws have also lived in London, where larger grocery stores would be expected if they exist. They do not.
But they do exist, there are numerous supermarket chains throughout the UK, including the London area:

ALDI:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Al...ton,_Leeds.jpg

ASDA (Wal-mart):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Asda_wb.jpg

Booths:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Booths_sharp.JPG

Why would supermarkets only exist in the US? It would be particularly odd considering the supply-chain methods that make them possible were largely developed in the UK, not the US.

Last edited by user_id; 11-07-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM

10,203 posts, read 13,345,333 times
User_id,

I checked out all three stores and could hardly find anything that would resemble an Amercan Supermarket. ALDI is a company committed to selling its own brand of foods and seldom sells name brands. The company is based in Germany with stores in England, and even here in the USA. Something that ALDI prides itself on are no advertising, keeping things small and simple, and focusing on selling its own brand of items, not a lot of choice at an ALDI.

ASDA looks like a store that sells it all. Kind of like a Wal-Mart in fact. Hardly a Supermarket, but a large store that happens to sell food items. Still they don't seem to have the selection that even our Oxnard Wal-Mart has.

Booths are the smallest of the bunch. The chain has a total of 25 stores all in the North Western part of England. The stores are also small compared to our Supermarkets. In one picture I saw on the Booths site the store looked like it could be the size of a Walgreens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County