Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
So things are going well with the family. Yes, I noticed, the couple of times we visited London they didn't have the same style grocery stores we have in America. by style, I mean size and choices. Every country is different. Our daughter lived in Poland for 2 years, the same thing there: few large grocery stores, but awesome open air markets.

Nita
Thank you, Nita, for jumping in on this. I finally put user_id on ignore because I found them to be too obnoxious to bother with

Introduces my mum & sis-in-law to the joys of Kohl's Department store yesterday. They loved it so much we went back oday, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Thank you, Nita, for jumping in on this. I finally put user_id on ignore because I found them to be too obnoxious to bother with

Introduces my mum & sis-in-law to the joys of Kohl's Department store yesterday. They loved it so much we went back oday, LOL!
who wouldn't love Kohl's, things marked down from $40 to $10 and worth about $5 but boy do we think we are getting great deals. I have had a charge card with them since 1998 which might have been their first year in business.

NIta

Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
who wouldn't love Kohl's, things marked down from $40 to $10 and worth about $5 but boy do we think we are getting great deals. I have had a charge card with them since 1998 which might have been their first year in business.

NIta
Yes, my Kohl's card is my favorite of all, LOL! Big weakness...the Godiva chocolates.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:45 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
I don't know how many places you have lived or shopped, but almost every major city has grocery stores just like those in Los Angeles and 2-Aldis is in Europe
1.) Los Angeles is very car based, supermarkets only make sense in areas that depend on automobiles. Most large European cities are much less car based than LA and there are numerous cities in the US that are much less car based as well, in these areas you'll find a lot fewer supermarkets. 2.) ALDI has stores in the US, and I'm not trying to suggest its equivalent to say Albertsons.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
who wouldn't love Kohl's, things marked down from $40 to $10 and worth about $5 but boy do we think we are getting great deals.
Yeah, I'm amazed how well their pricing strategies work, I mean they have "sales" of 40~50% every day, yet people still think they are getting a sale price.

But you can get some good deals there especially when they are doing their "Kohl's cash". I like redeeming my Amex rewards points for Kohl's gift-cards, just got $200 in cards the other day.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
1.) Los Angeles is very car based, supermarkets only make sense in areas that depend on automobiles. Most large European cities are much less car based than LA and there are numerous cities in the US that are much less car based as well, in these areas you'll find a lot fewer supermarkets. 2.) ALDI has stores in the US, and I'm not trying to suggest its equivalent to say Albertsons.
I am very much aware of what you are saying: I have traveled to Europe, Asia and Mexico plus the Caribbean and have lived in sevearal large cities like Abq and DAllas, plus DC and all over Ca and we have Aldi's here. WE shop there on occassion. Have you ever shopped at an Aldi's store? Did you know the same family owns Aldi's that owns Trader Joes, just different brothers? Actually the brother who owned Trader Joe's just passed away a couple of months ago??

Nita

Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
I am very much aware of what you are saying: I have traveled to Europe, Asia and Mexico plus the Caribbean and have lived in sevearal large cities like Abq and DAllas, plus DC and all over Ca and we have Aldi's here. WE shop there on occassion. Have you ever shopped at an Aldi's store? Did you know the same family owns Aldi's that owns Trader Joes, just different brothers? Actually the brother who owned Trader Joe's just passed away a couple of months ago??

Nita
Some of Trader Joe's items are beginning to be stocked in ALDI stores in the UK. Apparently Brits who have visited California and shopped at Trader Joe's started asking about getting the products in the UK and it has paid off. They wanted to be able to enjoy some of the same variety they experienced in the USA

Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM

By the way, my in-laws had this to say about user_id's comments regarding the comparisons between the two countries....

"Get away, the gowk doesn't knaa wot he's taakin aboot ."

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Have you ever shopped at an Aldi's store?
I've been in one, but more out of curiosity than to shop, the demographic they target isn't me.

Quote:
Did you know the same family owns Aldi's that owns Trader Joes, just different brothers? Actually the brother who owned Trader Joe's just passed away a couple of months ago??
No, I don't keep track of these stores. But again, I wasn't trying to suggest that ALDI's are like a general grocery store in the US, but they at times are just as large.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I've been in one, but more out of curiosity than to shop, the demographic they target isn't me.

No, I don't keep track of these stores. But again, I wasn't trying to suggest that ALDI's are like a general grocery store in the US, but they at times are just as large.
not normally our store either, but if we are near one and they have a couple of things I want we do stop. eggs are less expensive as is butter. The produce can be a bargain and I did get a honey basted, spiral ham for Turkey day last week: $1.49 a lb. I wasn't about to pass that by, plus they carry wild salmon for a great price.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County