Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Pie View Post
From what I could tell Sawadee is family-owned and the cooks are family members (not minimum-wage workers).
They still may be minimum wage workers, worse yet they may not be getting paid at all instead working out of obligation to "the family". More importantly, do they actually know how to cook? Usually not. Most ethnic places are family owned and operated by people that know little about cooking...

Pad Thai is American food, you're only going to find Americanized Thai food in Ventura County. What real Thai food? Go to Thai town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 AM

50 posts, read 77,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
They still may be minimum wage workers, worse yet they may not be getting paid at all instead working out of obligation to "the family". More importantly, do they actually know how to cook? Usually not. Most ethnic places are family owned and operated by people that know little about cooking...

Pad Thai is American food, you're only going to find Americanized Thai food in Ventura County. What real Thai food? Go to Thai town.

What you say about most ethnic places being run by people who know little about cooking is true, however...

We spoke to the owners at Sawadee on the day we were there; the cook was the father and not some wage-slave as you describe. And yes, Pad Thai may be "Americanized" Thai food but I still love it and will eat anyplace that makes it well. The same can be said about some Chinese food dishes. For me, it's not worth the hassles of driving to L.A. just to say I've eaten what some people consider "real" Thai food, or "real" Chinese food, etc.

In fact, do you KNOW what "real" Thai food is? You should be careful what you wish for. I love Chinese food, but you won't catch me eating chicken feet, fish eyes, or monkey brains anytime soon.

The idea that you need to go to an ethnic area to experience good ethnic food is a fallacy. Some of the most successful ethnic restaurants have left the squalor of the big cities and have moved to the suburbs. I've lived in China where I ate plenty of "authentic" Chinese dishes (and made it back without contracting hepatitis) but the best quality Chinese food I've ever eaten has been in USA...and not in a big city.

Anyway, before you jump to conclusions I'd suggest opening your mind and giving Sawadee a try. It might save you a trip to L.A.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
We spoke to the owners at Sawadee on the day we were there; the cook was the father and not some wage-slave as you describe.
Right, many smaller ethnic places are almost entirely family operated. But that doesn't mean they aren't "wage-slaves", often these restaurants only work financially because the family is working very long hours for little money. More importantly, its the lack of culinary knowledge that is the issue though.

Quote:
In fact, do you KNOW what "real" Thai food is? You should be careful what you wish for. I love Chinese food, but you won't catch me eating chicken feet, fish eyes, or monkey brains anytime soon.
Hmm....yes I know what real Thai food is and there is nothing to be careful about. Also, the majority of Thai (and...Chinese) dishes don't involve things that Americans find "gross".

Quote:
The idea that you need to go to an ethnic area to experience good ethnic food is a fallacy. Some of the most successful ethnic restaurants have left the squalor of the big cities and have moved to the suburbs.
No its not, its simple economics. Authentic ethnic food is only palatable to those who have acquired a taste for it, mostly that is people of the ethnicity. As a result authentic ethnic restaurants only work in areas with sufficient numbers of people from the particular ethnicity, an ethnic restaurant has to be apparently Americanized (i.e., made palatable to Americans) for it to work without the ethnic population.

Also, this isn't a suburb vs big city issue, its an ethnic population issue. Squalor of big cities? Don't follow...most wealth is in major cities. A successful "big city" restaurant would be absolutely foolish to relocate to a suburb.

Quote:
Anyway, before you jump to conclusions I'd suggest opening your mind and giving Sawadee a try.
Jump to conclusions? I looked at their menu (its online) and its extremely Americanized. They even have Americanized Chinese dishes, which is weird, but they are obviously just serving what is familiar and popular with the largely white suburb community they are serving.

Give it a try? No thanks. What they are serving is essentially canned/frozen food. Similar to an American "making" spaghetti by boiling some noodles and topping it with ragu. Its also, in no sense, a replacement for authentic Thai food. But if you enjoy it, by all means go there, but I'd highly suggest taking an adventure to the big bad city and try some serious Thai places (e.g., Thai town).

Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
What you say about most ethnic places being run by people who know little about cooking is true, however...

We spoke to the owners at Sawadee on the day we were there; the cook was the father and not some wage-slave as you describe. And yes, Pad Thai may be "Americanized" Thai food but I still love it and will eat anyplace that makes it well. The same can be said about some Chinese food dishes. For me, it's not worth the hassles of driving to L.A. just to say I've eaten what some people consider "real" Thai food, or "real" Chinese food, etc.

The idea that you need to go to an ethnic area to experience good ethnic food is a fallacy. Some of the most successful ethnic restaurants have left the squalor of the big cities and have moved to the suburbs. I've lived in China where I ate plenty of "authentic" Chinese dishes (and made it back without contracting hepatitis) but the best quality Chinese food I've ever eaten has been in USA...and not in a big city.

Anyway, before you jump to conclusions I'd suggest opening your mind and giving Sawadee a try. It might save you a trip to L.A.
Sawadee is pretty good. It's been a while since I have been there. Thanks for making the suggestion. As far as Chinese food....well, the best Chinese food I have had was in China...it was different that what I have had here....very different but very good too!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
I see that user_id found some fresh meat to pick at!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Are you seriously going to make the same lame comment again and again? If you need something to do with your time I have a bunch of shelves that need to be built....

Old 09-28-2011, 02:26 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
I liked Sawadee. They were always really nice when I went there. There is also another Sawasdee, though I think they are unrelated, in Simi Valley. My wife was able to request a dish there that she enjoyed when she visited Thailand and said they made exactly how she remembered.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM

Well...at least I'm starting to understand why the food in Ventura County is so terrible.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,223,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Well...at least I'm starting to understand why the food in Ventura County is so terrible.
Good to know. No one cares.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Good to know. No one cares.
Oh, I'm sure you don't care Mr Young Professional, but I'm hoping there are at least a few people in the area that have an interest in good, well-prepared, authentic food. And in the case of Thai, you can forget Ventura County and take a short trip to Thai town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County