Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 PM

20 posts, read 85,524 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job in Ojai. Because I prefer to live in a larger city, is it realistic to commute from Ventura to Ojai? How long would it take if I need to be at work between 8-8:30am? Any input would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Depending on where you live, it shouldn't be more than a half hour drive up 33 and back. Not a bad commute at all.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:57 PM

Great! Thank you for posting. Do you recommend any safe areas for a female to rent an apartment or any particular parts of town to avoid?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
It is about 15 miles from downtown Ventura to the west side of Ojai. It would be highway speed the whole way. You can even ride a bike up a class I bike path (path separate from the street).

Downtown Ventura is safe, going north on Ventura Ave (the area called "the avenue") is less so. Also, you wouldn't be getting out of the city lifestyle you want.

Midtown Ventura is also nice. It will only add a few minutes to the commute but if you want a small 1920's style house, this is the place. The neighborhoods are real nice.

It depends on how much you wish to spend on an apartment. There are some nice places in downtown, right on the beach, or up in the hills. There are some, shall we say, modest places too. Depends on your budget. $2,000/month gets you a nice 2BR2BA place. I would guess $1500 for a decent 1BR1BA place. Anything less, you start to make some compromises.

In the hills above downtown, the views are spectacular. Downtown has the walkability, walk to restaurants/clubs, the beach, etc. Midtown is a little suburbanish yet minutes from downtown. A nice blend.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I will add the bus even takes the 33 from Ventura to Ojai. If you ride a bike you can place it on the bike carrier at the front of the bus.

Since i can still edit this, I will add that the commute into Ojai from Ventura will probably be better than if you were going from Ojai into Ventura. I have quite a few coworkers that live in Ojai and work in Ventura. The 33 can be congested at times with people coming into Ventura to work or when they are heading home after work. The reverse is much better. For the most part the 33 is a two lane highway.

Then again that rush hour traffic is not bad in the Ojai Valley. And to add, the view isn't all that bad either. Just one more reason to love Ventura County. LOL

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 03-17-2011 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-17-2011, 09:38 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I will add the bus even takes the 33 from Ventura to Ojai. If you ride a bike you can place it on the bike carrier at the front of the bus.
+1. The Ventura Transit Center is on the east end of midtown; the VTC is a junction of sorts for most of the buses in Ventura. It's on the north end of the Pacific View Mall. If I were on a budget, I'd look at locating within a short walk of there (also easy access to the new Trader Joes, Allison's and Danny's )

Here's the map.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Wow, thank you for all the great information. I'm actually looking for an apt- short term stay less than 6 months. And I'm on a budget, so knowing there are alternatives up the 33 is great! $1500 is a bit much but could go as high as $1100. Thanks again!!

Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

just to add- the view up the 33 to Ojai is amazing!! Good point about the flow of traffic too. I'm fortunate to be traveling in the opposite direction. Thanks again!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 06:14 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
I can't think of a more perfect commute ... lucky you. A lot of those apartments in the hills over looking Thompson Blvd do 6 month rentals. Any closer to the beach would not be considered budget (unless things have changed since I left).

A little further out in Summerland and I can highly recommend .... will have to look up the name of a lovely complex I rented a condo for 5 weeks, years ago, while waiting for my new home in Santa Barbara to be ready. Right on the beach ..... but maybe not your cuppa tea.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:15 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
My faux pas. It's not Summerland, but Carpenteria and I still can't remember the name.... don't want to have to call up my ex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County