Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:53 AM

24 posts, read 108,122 times

Advertisements

VLWH--that's EXACTLY why we want to move.

Two things that are stopping us right now.

1. I have 2 parents that are old and sick (mom with terminal cancer. Dad with congestive heart failure). They won't leave with us and I am an only child so I can't leave them behind. They live in Chicago's 'hood' so I'm not comfortable leaving them alone. This is what happens when you're two 80 year old stubborn people.

2. Affording it. IF we could sell our home, we will only get about $30k profit if that. We want to put down a good down payment in CA, Unfortunately, the only way we can do that is wait out for #1 and see what probate turns up. I know that sounds horrible but on a $400k home, it's the only way we can do it. DH doesn't make a good salary and has to restart his biz. So we will rely on my salary like we do now. And right now, I'm paying for all major bills. We need to ensure our mortgage is no more than $1,700 and I have a salary like I do now out in CA. My IDEAL goal is to have a mortgage that is $1,200 with taxes. Then we can breathe and I won't get ulcer attacks.

Finally, I just read an article in LA Times about earthquake insurance and only 12% of Californian's have it. It feels like a very important thing to have but I also saw that a 2,000 sq ft home (which is about what we are looking at or less) is $3k a year. Are all the insurances that expensive? I'm sure we would have to get fire, earthquake, and flood. Currently we live on a high hill so we only have fire in Chicago.

I just can't imagine risking it and then the "big one" hits and we lose EVERYTHING. Now that would suck.

Thanks for all of the information. We are very hopeful and having fingers crossed. It's another friggen 30 degrees here in Chicago and I'm FED UP WITH ALL OF IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
who or what is a DH that you keep mentioning in your posts or what does DH stand for I dont get it???.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,359,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You are seeing things correct, you can get modest homes around here in the $400k~$500k range. Personally, I find them overpriced, and they are still coming down in price. Another reason why renting for a bit is preferable.

In terms of Newbury Park, Thousand Oaks and Westlake Village. Generally speaking the Conejo Valley gets more wealthy as you move away from Newbury Park. Although safe, Newbury Park is home to most businesses and lower-income housing in Thousand Oaks. In that sense, you're likely to find the cheapest homes in Newbury Park and the more expensive homes in Westlake Village.

Don't forget to look in Oak Park, Agoura Hills and the Conejo Valley part of Calabasas.
what would you consider the most AFFLUENT RICHEST areas in Ventura County???

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
who or what is a DH that you keep mentioning in your posts or what does DH stand for I dont get it???.
DH is Dear Husband

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,893,720 times
My parents moved from Chicago, Illinois in the early 50s. They spent a few years in the San Fernando Valley, and moved to Thousand Oaks in 1962.

Any time my mother expresses an interest in moving, my father says,"Where we gonna go?"

They're firmly ensconced in Thousand Oaks.

Last edited by cricket_factor; 03-29-2011 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

24 posts, read 108,122 times
In all honesty, I wish they would come with (DH--dear husband) doesn't have same sentiment (think Archie/Edith Bunker so I can see why he feels that way. *eye roll*) But I would love for them to spend their remaining years (which seem really short) in nice weather and out of the 'hood.

They currently live in Marquette Park area in the SW side of the city and if you know Chicago, you know that SUCKS.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccupiccu9 View Post
Finally, I just read an article in LA Times about earthquake insurance and only 12% of Californian's have it. It feels like a very important thing to have but I also saw that a 2,000 sq ft home (which is about what we are looking at or less) is $3k a year. Are all the insurances that expensive?
Earthquake insurance sounds better than it really is, the deductibles are rather high and the premiums are high as well.

Although earthquakes are a problem, the Thousand Oaks area doesn't have extreme earthquake risks. That is, we are talking about 6 pointers, not 7, 8, etc. Those are enough to damage your home, but rarely does it cause structural failure.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:40 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
what would you consider the most AFFLUENT RICHEST areas in Ventura County???
As a whole its Thousand Oaks, in particular the westlake side of the city. But there are pockets of wealth throughout the county, for example Somis, some beach and hilly areas of Ventura, Bell Canyon, etc. Most wealth in Ventura county is hidden, that is, you're unlikely to see if you're not looking for it.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccupiccu9 View Post

Finally, I just read an article in LA Times about earthquake insurance and only 12% of Californian's have it. It feels like a very important thing to have but I also saw that a 2,000 sq ft home (which is about what we are looking at or less) is $3k a year. Are all the insurances that expensive? I'm sure we would have to get fire, earthquake, and flood. Currently we live on a high hill so we only have fire in Chicago.

I just can't imagine risking it and then the "big one" hits and we lose EVERYTHING. Now that would suck.

Thanks for all of the information. We are very hopeful and having fingers crossed. It's another friggen 30 degrees here in Chicago and I'm FED UP WITH ALL OF IT.
Check out California Earthquake Authority (CEA) Premium Estimator , I tried a few scenarios (thousand oaks, 400K) and got between $980-$1230.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:12 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
DH is Dear Husband
30STM don't feel too bad, I had to look it up the other day myself.

Last edited by VLWH; 03-29-2011 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County