U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM

1,812 posts, read 1,401,276 times

Advertisements

When I visited PH and Oxnard a few weeks ago I was impressed with SOME of the mobile homes.

Only thing is I never lived in one. I have stayed in a few in NV but, have no idea what the upkeep is etc.

I want to be educated and KNOW what I am getting into IF i find one I like and make sure I am not taken by a broker etc.

You gals and guys ALWAYS have educated answers and advise and I appreciate any advise you can give me xo
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 11:22 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,081,759 times
I personally would never buy one because of the land rent prices that can continue to rise. There are some really nice beach mobile homes in Oxnard Shores, Silverstrand and Hollywood Beach but me personally, I think not knowing what the land rent could be would probably drive me insane.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:48 AM

1,465 posts, read 2,817,865 times
I agree with Lady, it just doesn't seem to work in my mind. A mobile home on a rented spot is a hybrid of buying and renting.

The big advantage of renting is the flexibility to move whenever you want. It could be because the rent has increased past what you want to pay. You don't get that with mobile home because they are not that easy to move. In a traditional apartment, the rent can't rise past market conditions because people will just leave. If the mobile home park increases the rent, you are stuck.

The big advantage of buying is you control the costs long term. You don't get that with a mobile home on rented land because the rent will just keep increasing.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 PM

2,655 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Just wanted to add a couple of points to this discussion to give a more complete picture. Many mobile home parks in Ventura County are owned by the residents via a co-op of sorts, kind of like a condo situation. I believe this is the case for both mobile home parks on the beach in Oxnard. For those parks where the residents don't own the land, there is rent control.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:31 AM

Thank you all. I was reading that SOME of these Mobile home association fees cover a lot of things and offer you other nice ammenities, like pool, tennis, spa etc.

How about the up keep of the actual MH... is it the same as a regular home? SOunds stupid I know...lol I am assuming the utils are just like a reg home Water etc...

Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM

30STM, I don't know anything about the upkeep but in my feeble mind, I kinda think there are some monthly maintenance things that might have to be checked since the house is...you know..mobile! Whether that is checking the tie downs to make sure they are secured or retrofitting things, I imagine a lot has to be done??

Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 AM

2,655 posts, read 7,321,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
30STM, I don't know anything about the upkeep but in my feeble mind, I kinda think there are some monthly maintenance things that might have to be checked since the house is...you know..mobile! Whether that is checking the tie downs to make sure they are secured or retrofitting things, I imagine a lot has to be done??
Actually, the homes in "mobile home parks" in Ventura County are difficult to call, "mobile." It's quite the misnomer. These things are far from mobile. As an example, check out the places on the beach in Oxnard, or in east Ventura near Telegraph and Wells. These are nice, spacious homes in nice settings. Some have block patios and attached two-car garages! They're more appropriately manufactured homes. They can perhaps be moved, but you wouldn't just hookup to them and drive away.

Also, homeowners in VC mobile-home parks pay property taxes, hinting at their permanence. I remember a situation in Santa Barbara County where the owners paid registration fees to the DMV. This is not the case in VC, at least not as far as what I'm familiar with with regards to mobile home parks.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 04-04-2011 at 03:16 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM

Wow, I learn something new everyday!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:35 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,386,817 times
I have family members who live in very nice "mobile" homes. But, if given the option to sell and move into a house they would do so. For many people buying a mobile home is the next best thing if they don't want to be in an apartment but can't afford to by a house. But as others have so rightly said, in a mobile home you will always have to pay rent, even if you own the home, and these rental fees can be as high as the cost of renting an apartment. Plus, you can be forced to remove your home from the mobile home community if you break the rules.

Another thing to remember is that it is often more difficult to qualify to buy a mobile home than a house since you have to pass TWO creditr checks. Just because the bank approves your loan doesn't mean the mobile home park will accept you.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:08 AM

Thank you all for all of your posts. I have decided NOT to buy a mobile home. I am looking at Condo's . Yes there will be a Maint Fee each month but, I like having someone take care of the gounds for me. Perfect for when I retire and want to relax and let some one do the weed pulling and cleaning he pool...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County