Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 13,616 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Where can a young professional live that's within commuting distance to Simi Valley?

I'm a 20 somethings female moving from the DC area for a job. My job is going to be in Simi Valley, which I've read is more family-oriented and suburban. I had really hoped to live by the beach, but it sounds like that might not be possible.

I'm looking for places with other 20 something singles / young professionals. Would like places with some culture and other weekend activities. I'm not really a huge partier, but I'd like some interesting things to do and people to meet in the evenings and weekends.

After doing a little research, it sounds like Studio City might be a decent option? Or what about Ventura going the other way?

Not looking to buy a place, I'm just looking to rent a place, and willing to spend about $1500/mo. Maybe more if the location is really good.

Help me out please!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:04 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,244,564 times
Have you considered Burbank? Not sure what the rents are but that might be an option. To live near the beach you'd need to move to either Oxnard, Port Hueneme or Ventura and depending on where your job is in Simi Valley, that could be a 35-50 minute commute one way and possibly could be longer depending on the traffic.

here's a small 1 bedroom in Oxnard near the beach:
1+1 in Oxnard Shores (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/2341067396.html - broken link)

Another place:
Renovated 1 Bedroom with Harbor Views! 743sf! (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/2340909899.html - broken link)

tiny studio in Ventura:
Ventura Studio, Like New, Ocean & Mountain Views! (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/2340896080.html - broken link)

Old 04-23-2011, 03:42 PM

699 posts, read 1,338,901 times
This is a tough one. You will be commuting, count on it - but it would be a reverse commute if you were in Burbank. That's where I'd aim. Second choice would be Sherman Oaks, but it's a distant second. Studio City is overrated. Public transit is weak vs. the others, always heavy traffic, extremely dense, expensive, and it isn't all that different from the adjacent areas. Hard to know when SO ends and SC begins.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,012,973 times
As the others said, Burbank is likely to be the best fit and the commute shouldn't be that bad. Though, you may have to increase your budget a bit. Burbank is very close to other "hip" areas of LA as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County