Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 12:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
in terms of recreation (hiking, biking, accessibility etc.) how does Agoura Hills fare in terms of access to to hiking places (how far, do I have to drive?) and in DT Ventura, obviously I can walk to the beach, but how far does that bike path go? What other "natural" kind of stuff can I do?
The hiking in the Conejo Valley (including Agoura) is some of the most beautiful in Southern California, its far superior to what you'll find in Ventura.

All the mountains you can see around you have hiking trails, you can even hike to the ocean (around 7~8 mile hike). It will likely take you a few years just to exhaust the hikes within 10~15 miles of your home.

Personally I prefer living in an area within a natural setting than a suburban area pretending to be urban, if I'm going to live in an urban environment it has to be a real urban environment. Anyhow, this is one of the things I like about the Conejo Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:01 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Provides refuge for individuals without indication of U.S. residency status.
that crossed my mind! When I first read it I was thinking bald eagles or petunias/gardens or something, which is what it would mean in the midwest!

Old 05-08-2011, 01:05 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
that crossed my mind! When I first read it I was thinking bald eagles or petunias/gardens or something, which is what it would mean in the midwest!
Haha, yep, the U.S. is a big country with varying interpretations for things. In Ventura County that kind of "sanctuary" is called, Sespe, as in reference to an area in the Los Padres where heroic efforts were made to give Condors a new lease on life.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The hiking in the Conejo Valley (including Agoura) is some of the most beautiful in Southern California, its far superior to what you'll find in Ventura.

All the mountains you can see around you have hiking trails, you can even hike to the ocean (around 7~8 mile hike). It will likely take you a few years just to exhaust the hikes within 10~15 miles of your home.

Personally I prefer living in an area within a natural setting than a suburban area pretending to be urban, if I'm going to live in an urban environment it has to be a real urban environment. Anyhow, this is one of the things I like about the Conejo Valley.
That's cool. I like to be able to get to places like that easily (then I'm more likely to do it

The drive to Malibu was stunning. (I don't use that word a lot, oddly, lots of advertisers do when selling apts. which I find strange!)

That is probably the biggest trade off for me with Thousand Oaks/Agoura/Westlake...the beach access.

I do like the character of DT Ventura but I am wondering how quickly the newness of that downtown would wear off on me. Just because I've moved to several smaller cities and had that happen!

I think I'm going to try and focus on a nice one bedroom tomorrow, if I can get a better price on a an apartment I might feel better about my decision. I don't want to have to leave the cat in Spokane over this

Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Haha, yep, the U.S. is a big country with varying interpretations for things. In Ventura County that kind of "sanctuary" is called, Sespe, as in reference to an area in the Los Padres where heroic efforts were made to give Condors a new lease on life.
all arguments aside -- it is very real and fascinating to see why politics can be so polarizing in Calfornia.

I've always been pretty middle of the road when it comes to things. Things here are so magnified in terms of immigration, the enviornment, even two towns 10 miles apart being in different climates. I can see it's hard for people to rmeain somewhat unopinionated.

I'm educated as a planner...but I guess kind of like some people who specialize in some subjects...you kind of go rouge at some point. I worked with a great planner in Illinois that I find most practical.

Density is a great theory. And in theory I support it. But suburbs work because people just like to have their space. I like to try to find a happy medium, I think it has to do with what you grew up with too...cities can feel claustrophobic to me after awhile, I'd like to be able to afford a place in both.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Density is a great theory. And in theory I support it. But suburbs work because people just like to have their space. I like to try to find a happy medium, I think it has to do with what you grew up with too...cities can feel claustrophobic to me after awhile, I'd like to be able to afford a place in both.
As a planner, you know the need for balance. For a lot of Americans, "density" means "Manhattan" -- a place I could never imagine living. For me, in the context of a place like Ventura County, "density" means convenience. I know that many of my daily errands can be done on foot or at worst with a quick drive. And, in the context of Ventura County, I know that if the "density" is wearing on me on any particular day, in 10 minutes I can be sitting on the beach or unwinding on a hillside hike. This kind of "density" is what one might find in traditional New England cities, or cities in certain countries in Europe or Latin America. Cities that came into being before the automobile age.

ETA: Even though Oxnard and Ventura grew up with the automobile age, the leaders of both cities are recognizing that there are many redeeming values to "traditional cities" that these two cities are now trying to incorporate. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 05-08-2011 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-08-2011, 02:09 AM

well I certainly support balance, but I don't really work as a planner anymore.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:12 AM

ok, I'm going to sleep. User ID if you want to give me a biased opinion on the best apartments in Conejo Valley while I'm sleeping...that would be ok.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,145,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

I am curious how good the hiking is in the Los Padres National Forest

Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,096 times
Stunningly gorgeous morning hiking Arroyo Verde.

Happy Mothers Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County