Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,905,969 times

Advertisements

If you're into hiking and/or cycling Ventura County in general is a great place to live and play.
Cycling 20 miles to hike somewhere is what a lot of us adventurous active people do.
Seattle and especially Portland were wonderful for that though.
But anybody who wants a short hike outside a shopping district in a populated area probably won't be hiking in 100+ degree weather anyway.

If you want the beach outside your doorstep, move near the beach and cycle or drive to a trail a short distance away. If you want more secluded and closer to trails, move to the valley.
But how is it that Ventura is 2 hours to any real trails, but the Conejo valley has tons on it's doorstep?
That makes no sense. These places aren't that far apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,132,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2000 View Post
If you're into hiking and/or cycling Ventura County in general is a great place to live and play.
Cycling 20 miles to hike somewhere is what a lot of us adventurous active people do.
Seattle and especially Portland were wonderful for that though.
But anybody who wants a short hike outside a shopping district in a populated area probably won't be hiking in 100+ degree weather anyway.

If you want the beach outside your doorstep, move near the beach and cycle or drive to a trail a short distance away. If you want more secluded and closer to trails, move to the valley.
But how is it that Ventura is 2 hours to any real trails, but the Conejo valley has tons on it's doorstep?
He meant that the 'good' trails in Los Padres National Forest are 2 hours away. Of course, there may be some that feel he might not be right on that one.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,001,900 times
Quote:
I
This is where reading helps, to say it once more, my comment was about the Los Padres National Forest. In particular, that the really nice areas of it are around 2 hours or more away from Ventura.

More importantly, the Los Padres National Forest does not represent local hiking options for a resident of Ventura. Locally, there aren't that many options.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,905,969 times
It's a trade off. Live near the beach and, as you claim,
the better trails are in the valley, you cycle or drive to the valley to hike.
But if you live near the valley, you'll have to drive to the beach.
And from my understanding, the OP did seem to want to live near the beach.

So either you drive to the beach or trails. Either way the OP
Needs to figure out what they want outside their doorstep.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:02 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,001,900 times
Quote:
So either you drive to the beach or trails. Either way the OP
Needs to figure out what they want outside their doorstep.
The OP asked about biking, hiking, etc options and that is why this topic came up, they were already (obviously) aware of the fact that Ventura is by the ocean...

The only reason we're still talking about it is due to the Ventura spin-machine.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,046,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Anyhow, if you're into hiking, biking, etc the Conejo Valley is a better option, just as if you're into surfing, etc Ventura is a better option. The denial around this simple fact is just weird....
Oh, yiieeeaah, there are no biking opportunities in Ventura. As a matter of fact, Thousand Oaks is a meat grinder for bicycles. One of the most bike-unfriendly cities in Ventura County.

Anyhoo, what's weird is the black-and-white world of user_id. What's even weirder is picking apart everyone else's view point ad nausueum. Oh, did I just post this out-loud? I thought user_id was on my ignore list. Better check my settings.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
the only thing I've really decided is I'm selling my mattress in Spokane and purchasing the Hampton Home Bedroom collection.

yes I did look around all mentioned areas. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what everything is going to cost me and what everything is worth to me. If my apartment doesn't rent in Spokane I could have a long summer ahead of me if I make an expensive choice that isn't worth it for me. And it's hard to measure.

In so many ways I feel like I'm going backwards instead of forward, I hope I made the right choice to take the job. I would leave the cat behind if I knew he'd have a good home somewhere, pet rent ...really? A deposit suffices everywhere else. Renting in California so far has been an unusal experience.

The Archstones are not as nice as I'd expected but considering there is so many of them and you can move out after 30 days if you don't like it...and no fees if you break a lease for a home, relocation help etc. is kind of nice.

I did find a small apartment with low rent (haha, at $1430 including the pet rent) in a nice area, that I also liked because it had lots of built in shelves and fixtures so in case I do sell all my furniture I won't have to repurchase very much. Seems logical to me but not exactly an ideal situation. It feels very weird to have accepted a job for more than I've ever made and be more worried than ever about my finances and happiness. Maybe I'm just worrying too much, I don't know.

I think part of it may be mental because of the situation in California, the agent today talking to me about families losing their homes, etc. That most people in her complex came from homes and such. That's not my situation and I can feel the desperation around, and the general feeling of "I don't really want to be in an apartment but I have to be because I lost my house" it's clearly considered transitional housing there.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:34 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,314,379 times
this map is really cool

City of Agoura Hills : Recreational Trails Map

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM

699 posts, read 1,337,758 times
Quote:
Incorporated part of TO? What in the world are you talking about!?
Incorporated -- as in, not including unincorporated places like Casa Conejo that are TO adjacent.

Quote:
Anyhow, if you're into hiking, biking, etc the Conejo Valley is a better option, just as if you're into surfing, etc Ventura is a better option. The denial around this simple fact is just weird....
You're comparing a valley with several cities & communities that is over 70 square miles in scale with one city in the coastal plain that is 22 square miles.

You sit there and stack the deck and accuse the rest of us as spinning.

Last edited by HSP1161; 05-09-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM

699 posts, read 1,337,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
How far does the bike path along the ocean go? (not the ones along the highway but actual paths...)
The bike path along the ocean stretches from the Pierpont area all the way north to Solimar Beach. It is about 7 miles miles. It egresses from Solimar to a Class II bike lane along a frontage road, and eventually the 101 near La Conchita and on up to Carp.

The Class I path bows inward at the end of Surfer's Point (that part of the path is under construction as I type this, circled in red below) and stretches inland toward Main Street across a bridge, connects to Emma Wood then on to Solimar from there. It's a gorgeous ride.

You can also choose to connect to the Ojai path (also separated/Class I, an old 'rails to trails' project) and bike up to Ojai (highlighted in yellow). It has a slight grade that even beginners can do. There are myriad hiking options in Ojai that are bikeable from Ventura, especially if you use user_id's rules for drawing area boundaries.

Last edited by HSP1161; 05-09-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County