Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to start a bash thread ( atl all!!) I'm just a bit concerned. I was about 100% sure I wanted to take a job here because I've always loved California. I've spent time in most parts from Sac to San Diego and always loved the coast. I'd read good things about Ventura and figured I'd probably love it.

I only had a short short while to visit today after my interview and I fly home early tomorrow morning. I drove around most of the afternoon and this whole area just strikes me as a bit scary. I mean, I'm wondering if I would feel safe anywhere here or if it's just a bad first impression. I actually saw two teenage girls get into a fight in the street ... I think it was technically Oxnard...but I didn't find Ventura to be all that much nicer. There were lots of bums downtown and thug like folks all over the place (but maybe that's just the style these days)

I'm actually staying at the laquinta tonight and afraid the gang of people outside my room is going to bust in any moment. Ridiculous!

I'll have to find housing from a distance....where are the best places to be, if anywhere? Yes, I'm serious. I'm a single woman and I like to be able to walk to my car at night, at the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM

699 posts, read 1,344,551 times
It sounds like you're staying in Montalvo, which is a very spotty area. There's a La Quinta Inn there very close to the train station. It's a transient area, quite unsettled. It is part of the city but on the southern tip adjacent Oxnard.

Drive up to Downtown (California and Main is a good place to start). Then make your way back through midtown (drive south on Main St) to Telegraph. Make a left on Telegraph and drive through the College area (when you see Ventura College, make a left and drive through the homes up there). Keep going on Telegraph and you'll hit east Ventura, which is more stucco-box-ish.

We live in midtown near the mall and walk/jog in the evenings all the time. Also spend a bit of time in downtown with our kids, and have always felt very safe.

One of my favorite residential areas in Ventura is in midtown on Eugenia Street (south of Poli). Classic mid-century homes, well-kept and gorgeous.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM

What do you feel the future of Ventura is? I've lived in San Antonio before, I'm white and I was a minority in San Antonio but it never really bothered me.

For some reason I felt very unsafe in this area, San Antonio seemed more stable to me.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM

You were in Montalvo. There are two areas I'd avoid in Ventura, Montalvo is one of them (the Avenue is the other).

Ventura is a beach community that was established 1782. It is sandwiched between two job hubs but isn't an economic engine by itself, more of a seaside residential community.

The City, like many, has gone through some tough times (California cities are dependent on sales and property taxes, both of which have taken a hit - and the latter of which is much lower than Texas). That said, it is making a ton of investments in infrastructure - its downtown is vibrant and successful (so much so that they now charge for parking in the premium spaces), Surfer's Point is getting a huge rehab right now, and the City is investing millions on pedestrian/cycling infrastructure. On jobs, the City has some really innovative programs like V2TC to incubate high tech startups, and that program has already bore some fruit.

It's a mature community that has been around for over two centuries. I believe it will continue to progress on a stable, prosperous path.

Last edited by HSP1161; 04-28-2011 at 11:25 AM..

Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM

what about bums and thugs in the parks, do you think the city will crack down on these things? I thought the downtown looked nice, and thought the park looked nice. The bums/thugs were so off putting, and I was looking at apartments in that area. I read reviews to avoid Somerset because of this issue, then saw it with my own eyes. If that park were controlled and more safe a woman would feel safer parking in a parking garage on the 3rd floor then walking across the street to go home (which is what they have to do there)

Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM

also read that a tenats car was broken into 4 times...

Old 04-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Do you know of a beach community that doesn't have a homeless problem?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
also read that a tenats car was broken into 4 times...
I had the most problems with car breakins in Irvine, California. Renowned as one of the safest cities in the country.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
what about bums and thugs in the parks, do you think the city will crack down on these things? I thought the downtown looked nice, and thought the park looked nice. The bums/thugs were so off putting, and I was looking at apartments in that area. I read reviews to avoid Somerset because of this issue, then saw it with my own eyes. If that park were controlled and more safe a woman would feel safer parking in a parking garage on the 3rd floor then walking across the street to go home (which is what they have to do there)
You were at Mission or Plaza Park.

I'd suggest looking in east Ventura or midtown. There are plenty of apartments and parks elsewhere in the City. The simple fact is homeless flock to areas near the coast. The inland areas get extremely hot in the summer and very cold overnight at other times of the year. Not only is it temperate, there are sympathetic tourists who give loose change. Those two parks are also close to a number of resources near Main St. that support the needy.

Last edited by HSP1161; 04-28-2011 at 05:25 PM..

Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM

I lived in Naples, FL. No problems there of that nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County