U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM

14,824 posts, read 23,606,191 times

Advertisements

Too bad that your not going to Santa Paula. Santa Barbara is nice though. Lets see in Santa Paula as an exchange student you will have probably went to live on the hillside where there are some amazing homes. Santa Paula has many wealthy people living there as well. Chances are you would have lived with one of them. If you had you may have ended up going to school with their kids to either St Boneventure, or Oaks Christian. Will Smiths oldest son plays for Oaks Christian. Did you know that a few wealthy people live in Santa Paula? Did you know that on Friday evenings Main Street is turned into a classic car show with cars predating 1973? Did you know that one of the greatest collections of rare aircraft are sitting in Santa Paula? Chances are an exchange student isn't going to be living with field workers or homes where 3 families of 8 are living. Chances are an exchange student will be living in a home that will offer the chance to take part in an amazing experience. I know people that live in Santa Paula that have homes on the beach between Ventura and Santa Barbara. Too bad that your going to Santa Barbara. Would have been cool to live with a family that has two area homes. Have fun up in Santa Barbara though. You may want to check out the gang issues that they are having. Just noticed on the news about all that. I am sure it is safer their though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 02:35 PM

16 posts, read 63,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Too bad that your not going to Santa Paula. Santa Barbara is nice though. Lets see in Santa Paula as an exchange student you will have probably went to live on the hillside where there are some amazing homes. Santa Paula has many wealthy people living there as well. Chances are you would have lived with one of them. If you had you may have ended up going to school with their kids to either St Boneventure, or Oaks Christian. Will Smiths oldest son plays for Oaks Christian. Did you know that a few wealthy people live in Santa Paula? Did you know that on Friday evenings Main Street is turned into a classic car show with cars predating 1973? Did you know that one of the greatest collections of rare aircraft are sitting in Santa Paula? Chances are an exchange student isn't going to be living with field workers or homes where 3 families of 8 are living. Chances are an exchange student will be living in a home that will offer the chance to take part in an amazing experience. I know people that live in Santa Paula that have homes on the beach between Ventura and Santa Barbara. Too bad that your going to Santa Barbara. Would have been cool to live with a family that has two area homes. Have fun up in Santa Barbara though. You may want to check out the gang issues that they are having. Just noticed on the news about all that. I am sure it is safer their though.
Well it's nice that you say that Santa Paula is good too! But I would have attended Santa Paula High. I think the fact that I won't go there had something to do with some exchange student who had been using drugs there. And my organisation thought it was a dangerous place. But I'm not sure about the details.

I am really excited about going to Santa Barbara though. It's like the best ever

(Thanks everybody by the way!)

Old 04-30-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte.Ellinor View Post
Well it's nice that you say that Santa Paula is good too! But I would have attended Santa Paula High. I think the fact that I won't go there had something to do with some exchange student who had been using drugs there. And my organisation thought it was a dangerous place. But I'm not sure about the details.

I am really excited about going to Santa Barbara though. It's like the best ever

(Thanks everybody by the way!)
Santa Barbara is a nice place and I hope that you have a good experience when you are there. Santa Paula is also a nice area, even the high school. My Brother in Law teaches there at the school along with coaching Soccer, or Futball depending on where you are from. Maybe when your in Santa Barabara you could have your host family bring you down to check it out for yourself, just for fun. Come on a weekend when something is going on. Like others have said in the post, it is a sleepy little town. Friday Cruise nights are fun. Also you can visit the areas only Bob's Big Boy resteraunt. Used to have these all over but they left the area years ago. The location in Santa Paula is on the East edge of town, not really in town. Also it is more of a fast food version of the original, still with some of the great food.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,202 times
Quote:
I must second everything stated here. Good balanced post, SOON2BNSURPRISE. Absolutely agree that Santa Paula is a great little town with its own character and unique things to offer. (Ditto for Fillmore, for that matter.) It pleases me to know that Santa Paula is reaching out to the big world and trying to attract foreign exchange students. That's an awesome effort for a small town.

Santa Barbara is nice, Charlotte Ellinor, but please don't get lulled into a false sense of security. Gang crime is on the rise there, too. Don't mean to scare you or imply that Santa Barbara is unsafe. It is safe. But so is Santa Paula. Just don't think that you are any more or less safe in either place.

If you get the chance, I encourage you to take a trip one day from the Santa Barbara coast, over the mountains to Ojai and then on to Santa Paula and Fillmore. You won't regret it. Absolutely beautiful scenery. The best the area has to offer, IMO.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:53 PM

633 posts, read 2,723,944 times
Santa Paula is all you say it is but for a high school student I think she will enjoy Santa Barbara much more because there is so much more to do there. Best of luck on your adventure!

Old 04-30-2008, 07:28 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,182,895 times
Quote:
Santa Paula has many wealthy people living there as well. Chances are you would have lived with one of them. If you had you may have ended up going to school with their kids to either St Boneventure, or Oaks Christian. Will Smiths oldest son plays for Oaks Christian.

Oaks Christian is in Westlake Village; long way from SP for high school.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 AM

16 posts, read 63,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Santa Paula is all you say it is but for a high school student I think she will enjoy Santa Barbara much more because there is so much more to do there. Best of luck on your adventure!
Thank you!

I don't think I will be safer in Santa Barbara, I just think it seems like a far better place to live.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oaks Christian is in Westlake Village; long way from SP for high school.
Just over the hill from Santa Paula, and you may want to check out all the Private Schools in Santa Paula. Most of the kids I know either went to St Bonaventure or Oaks Christian. Just because someone lives in Santa Paula, doesn't mean that their parents can't take them to another school.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,182,895 times
Quote:
Just over the hill from Santa Paula, and you may want to check out all the Private Schools in Santa Paula. Most of the kids I know either went to St Bonaventure or Oaks Christian. Just because someone lives in Santa Paula, doesn't mean that their parents can't take them to another school.
Just over the hill is 33 miles and 45-55 minutes.

from: Santa Paula, CA to: 31749 La Tienda Drive, Westlake Village, CA 91362 (Oaks Christian School) - Google Maps

But heck, I lived in Canoga Park (Saticoy and Fallbrook) and took a bus to Our Lady of Malibu from grades 1-6, 1967-1973. Long way for a first grader.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,790 times
Hey everyone. So I have been reading all the threads in this forum so far. I might be getting a job with a horticulture company in Santa Paula that I assume would pay high 30's or maybe low 40's. I live in Florida at the time and am a recent college graduate and that's what I would be getting paid here. So I have a few questions. First of all, is there a state income tax in Cali., there is not one in Florida, and if so how much should I ask for to make the equivalent pay for Cali. be similar to the mid to high 30's I would get in Florida. Also, how affordable is housing in Santa Paula? Obviously I don't have money to just go and buy a house, so are there quality apartments in or close by Santa Paula? I don't mind traveling up to 30 mins. to get to my job in Santa Paula. Are there affordable apartments 30 mins. away in a fun place with a little more people my age that is safe and "hip"? I really like this company and think I would love working for them but I realize for me to move across the country I also need to enjoy the area I move to. What do you all think? Thanks for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County