U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 45,507 times

Advertisements

Do you know anyone who uses T-mobile in Lompoc/Santa maria area? If so, do they get decent phone reception? I have T-mobile and have not read favorable posts on their webpage for coverage in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,057,342 times
I don't know about that...I had Sprint and had no issues there. Let me ask my friend's mother what she has and she lives in Lompoc.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:53 AM

69 posts, read 120,342 times
I am relocating to the area. My new job is in Santa Barbara. Which is the better/ easier commute Lompoc to SB or Ventura/Oxnard to SB?

Rent is SB is much too high not having any luck of finding a suitable affordable place. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM

7,973 posts, read 9,905,951 times
Ventura is only 25 miles and if you work during normal work hours you will have the sun at your back in both commute directions. Coming from Lompoc is longer (35 or 40 I think?) and you are driving into the sun in both directions which as you know can be problematic due to other drivers who apparently have never learned what sunglasses are and who freak out when driving into the sun.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM
LDH

168 posts, read 350,306 times
I've lived in the area for 31 years; some of those years being in Santa Maria, Vandenberg AFB and Vandenberg Village (VV).

I would stay away from Lompoc and stay in VV if you are trying to stay close to the base. Depending on where you were to live in Lompoc, you might get into the higher crime areas. Be warned though, there isn't much to do in this area unless you like the bar scene. Stores are also sparse as well as good restaurants. An hour drive south and you will be in Santa Barbara. Orcutt is another option and is 12 miles to the south and Santa Maria is just a bit further at 20 miles.

Verizon offers better cell phone service in this area of CA. The others offer horrible reception and most people complain of dropped calls.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM

69 posts, read 120,342 times
BayAreaHillbilly - thanks for the tip. from the sounds of it Ventura will be best. LDH makes LOMPOC sound like the place I currently live in and trying to get away from. So I guess I will try looking in the Ventura area.

Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,494,985 times
V. Village is nice, it is closer to the base and has some little shopping places of its own as well some food joints...and SM is only 15-20 min. away for any major shopping

Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 AM
LDH

168 posts, read 350,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
V. Village is nice, it is closer to the base and has some little shopping places of its own as well some food joints...and SM is only 15-20 min. away for any major shopping
The market is very small and very limited. It has a horrible Mexican restaurant (I've eaten there 3X at lunch and it hasn't improved), Dominoes Pizza, a bar and Subway.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:11 PM

20 posts, read 45,507 times
Given an option I would live in Ventura. There is so much more to do and the commute to SB from Ventura is simply breathtaking. It took me only 30 minutes to get there from Ventura to SB on a weekend. Do not know the commute time during the week. I lived there for a work assignment and loved it. Now I am in Lompoc which is a small town with a friendly feel to it. But unless you are into cycling there is nothing here to do. Many of the stores are shut down and there are very few places to eat out.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:34 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,057,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel99 View Post
Given an option I would live in Ventura. There is so much more to do and the commute to SB from Ventura is simply breathtaking. It took me only 30 minutes to get there from Ventura to SB on a weekend. Do not know the commute time during the week. I lived there for a work assignment and loved it. Now I am in Lompoc which is a small town with a friendly feel to it. But unless you are into cycling there is nothing here to do. Many of the stores are shut down and there are very few places to eat out.
Interesting...I generally have no issues finding places to eat there....lol, there are the usual places like the Jetty and some Italian place that is escaping my mind right now. You might have to drive to Solvang for places like AJ Spurs, Hitching Post and other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County