Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
If there wasn't an active food culture, why would the Star put together a VCS Eats column and staff ? Why would they use the word "foodie" and not "wine connoisseur" in the article ?
Are these serious questions? Are you not aware that local news sources contain large amounts of puffery on local events? Anyhow, you can find such columns on pretty much any decent sized newspaper, in that case any decent sized community would be a "foodie area" rendering the notion entirely vacuous.

Why would they use the word "foodie"? Because its popular and more searchable than "wine connoisseur", I image that is how you found the article in your attempt to show that Ventura County, despite a banal food culture, is some how a "foodie area". Anyhow, whatever, think whatever you wish. I really don't care whether you think this area has a great food culture or not, what is troubling is that you can't allow someone to express a viewpoint that differs from your own. Your comment about thread assassination is pathetically ironic, but what's new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 03:54 PM

8 posts, read 12,349 times
*ahem. I value everyone's viewpoints and I think we've discovered that the quality of food in the county is really subjective. To tell the truth, any change would be welcome from the cuisine in my suburb, which is either a big chain or sports bar.
Can anyone suggest:
A place with great atmosphere (quiet)
Good flea market/second hand store
Hole in.the wall type places?

Last edited by ms-java; 06-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Oops

Old 06-30-2011, 11:49 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
On Friday, our sales tax will go back to 7.25%.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/news/pdf/l277.pdf

Well amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-java View Post
Oooh! That's great news about the sales tax! Thanks all for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I have a few other questions for everyone. Now my curiosity is piqued!

1. In other areas, it's common for locals to snub their noses at people from out of town. Is it like that there?
2. If I was a friend what would you tell me to look out for? I feel pretty prepared for the highways, Chicago is aggressive, as far as driving goes.
3. Great restaurants, markets, grocery stores. I know Ventura County is a large area, but some places you just can't pass up! So share your favorite digs.

Thanks!
We have a thread for restaurants which has already been mentioned! I even tried someone's recommendation tonight and it was awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
I was just a lurkin', but all this talk of food has gotten me hungry! Now I'm gonna break my diet and EAT!! hee hee ...
LOL, be strong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-java View Post
*ahem. I value everyone's viewpoints and I think we've discovered that the quality of food in the county is really subjective. To tell the truth, any change would be welcome from the cuisine in my suburb, which is either a big chain or sports bar.
Can anyone suggest:
A place with great atmosphere (quiet)
Good flea market/second hand store
Hole in.the wall type places?
There are a lot of nice interesting stores in Ventura on Main Street. I wish I could go snap some photos to show ya!!

Hole in the wall places.....depends on what you like....I'm in Oxnard so I know many places here. I will list some later on...I'm supposed to be sleeping...have early morning flight tomorrow!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have a few other questions for everyone. Now my curiosity is piqued!

1. In other areas, it's common for locals to snub their noses at people from out of town. Is it like that there?
Many people are from somewhere else here in this part of the world. I would say that people are welcome here. The one snub I have seen is when someone comes here and tells us how they do it back where they are from and then ask why we don't do it that way. Here is one, "How come none of the homes have basements?" I did have a friend that grew up getting an orange in his stocking when he was a kid during Christmas time. He continued the tradition here in Oxnard. I asked him about that and he said that as a kid it was a big treat to get an orange. I told him that his kids may not appreciate it as much since they can go out back and pick one off the tree. Not that it was a bad tradition just that it may not have the same affect on his kids. I guess what I am saying is to embrace what is differant about living out here.

Another thing is that we are a relatively accepting bunch. It is nothing to see someone that has decorated their body in an interesting way lets say. Also nothing to see couples from differant nationalities married, dating, or living together. Nothing to see men with men or women with women. We see it all here and it doesn't raise too many eyebrows.

2. If I was a friend what would you tell me to look out for? I feel pretty prepared for the highways, Chicago is aggressive, as far as driving goes.

With driving, follow the croud. If people speed up to get on a freeway do the same. My thought on this is that everyone thinks that they are the best drivers where they are from. The real deal is that unwritten rules are followed by the people that use the roadways in a given local. Learn what others are doing and you will be fine. It is not better or worse here, just differant.

3. Great restaurants, markets, grocery stores. I know Ventura County is a large area, but some places you just can't pass up! So share your favorite digs.

I like hole in the wall places. I love night clubs. One of my favorite places now is Ruby's in Oxnard. I also like Bombay's but think it has lost its vibe from a few years ago. Not sure if you are into the night life or not. Another great place is the Water Mark in Ventura. I will make a list and post it later.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Fences to keep animals in (or out, as in the case of deer).

Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM

24 posts, read 43,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Food is not taxed.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Like groceries?!?!?!?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 PM

24 posts, read 43,012 times
Btw, Californians, I know it's of little consolation for all the nickel and diming you get in your state, but we live in one of the poorest states in the nation and we pay 9.9% sales tax for everything. And, we aren't a state with no income tax.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by califbound View Post
WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Like groceries?!?!?!?
They don't tax food, they do tax paper products, trash bags, items you don't eat. If you can eat it you don't pay tax. If it goes on your body, is used to put waste in, is used to hold food, or what ever it is taxed.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:27 AM

Forgot to add Ciscos to the list of clubs to visit. Their are two Ciscos. The one in Westlake Village has the night club. They also have some amazing Mexican food at both places.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 42,678 times
Default fences

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Fences to keep animals in (or out, as in the case of deer).
Not only deer, but coyotes and rattlesnakes, both of which I've seen in the first week I moved here. Im currently living in what would be the border of Westlake Village and Oak Park. I saw the coyote outside my apartment complex, and I saw the rattlesnake outside the Oak Canyon Dog Park.

Now, I've only been here in the area for 2.5 weeks, so I can't speak to much of the other questions. Except driving... I moved here from Boston and I have to say that in contrast to what I expected, the driving here is pretty civil. It's fast, it's crowded, the for the most part, the other drivers are conscientious and courteous (note "for the most part"). Again, I've only been here for a few weeks, so my opinion may be changed for me over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County