Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:29 PM

11 posts, read 35,432 times

Advertisements

Hey there

Does anyone know much about these apartments? I've read mixed reviews about them. From what I've seen online, they look ok but it's hard to tell from a distance (I currently live out of the area). What's the neighborhood like? They're located on Channel Islands Boulevard and South J Street.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times
I would definitley recommend coming to look in person. I was in the same position and coming to see first hand was not at all convienient but well worth the expense. You just don't know til you see.

I was not impressed with most of what I saw....in ways that would indeed live to un-livability

Old 08-07-2011, 01:41 PM

89 posts, read 421,108 times
Just put Channel Islands Boulevard and South J Street in Google search and you come up with a street view of the area.
Channel Islands Boulevard and South J Street - Google Maps

I don't live there but have driven through this area and I would say it is a lower income, working class, Hispanic neighborhood. There looks like apartments on both sides of the street so I am not sure which ones you are looking at.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
I agree with olypentax on the description of the area. A few weeks ago I stopped by the shops at the channel island and most of the stores were vacant, kind of depressing.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
You will have lots of neighbors as many of the neighbors have lots of kids. You can also tell what kind of clothes they wear as they will hang dry them outside of their apartments. Chances are you will see plenty of classic cars, that is if you think that the 70's and 80's were clasic car eras. Many of these cars offer parts that fall off as they drive. From time to time you can also get a deal on car parts as that part of Channel Islands curves and the side of the road is loaded with parked cars that can get tangled up in the occasional wreck. because many apartments house more than one family with lots of drivers you will get a work out as you park down the street and walk to your place. If you don't allready speak Spanish you will learn a new language while living there.

If you do visit make sure it is on the weekend or evening just to see how easy it is to get a place to park. LOL

Old 08-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Hmmm

Not exactly painting a pretty picture. I think I'll keep looking ...

Old 08-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Why did you want to live there anyway? Will you be working near by? There are nicer areas within the area. If you have your heart set on living near there you may want to consider Port Hueneme. Near the Navy base there are some nice apartments. The area around Channel Islands and Ventura road. Along Victoria just North of Channel Islands Road are plenty of places to rent as well. If you could list your price range and what you are looking for in a place it would be easier to direct you to the kind of place that would meet your needs.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Sorry for the slow response. I've been away for a while ...

I'll be spending a couple of months this winter (possibly January thru March) in Ventura county and was just looking at apartments online when I came across the Channel Island apartments. What I'm looking for specifically is something in the Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo area, safe neighborhood in a pet-friendly apartment for less than $1400/month. I've been looking at Camarillo lately thinking it may be a little less foggy that time of year. (I'm from Seattle and I'm wanting to get away from that)

I like the outdoors and would prefer to spend my free time hiking/biking, so forth.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-d-guest View Post
Sorry for the slow response. I've been away for a while ...

I'll be spending a couple of months this winter (possibly January thru March) in Ventura county and was just looking at apartments online when I came across the Channel Island apartments. What I'm looking for specifically is something in the Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo area, safe neighborhood in a pet-friendly apartment for less than $1400/month. I've been looking at Camarillo lately thinking it may be a little less foggy that time of year. (I'm from Seattle and I'm wanting to get away from that)

I like the outdoors and would prefer to spend my free time hiking/biking, so forth.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Our foggy time is around May to July. June's weather is called June Glume. (Did I spell glume right?) anyway, the weather in January to March should be fine. Saying that, the further inland you travel the better the weather allthough even in Camarillo they can have overcast weather. Pet deposits will probably start around $250 and up. Many places will have a size limit on dogs. Camarillo is a safe place to live. More of a family friendly town. You could try out Via Camarillo Apartments. That is a nice area. Not sure on the price. They have another complex in North Oxnard called Los Arbolitos. I know you can find places in Los Arbolitos for less than $1,400. Chances are you may be able to find a 2 bedroom for that place.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Hey Soon2

Thanks for the info. I've checked online and couldn't find any info on Via Camarillo Apartments. Only Villa Camarillo. We have a 20 pound terrier so most any place that allows dogs would likely allow him. (but then again, he is a terrier

I'll look into Los Arbolitos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County