U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:38 PM

625 posts, read 2,154,137 times

Advertisements

Simi reminds me of that movie COPLAND. I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 08:49 PM

39 posts, read 131,646 times
Hi,

My husband and I raised two sons here in Simi Valley. We have lived here for 30 + years and have liked it.

The Weather is nice, it does get hot, 100 sometimes in the summer. Winter doesn't get much colder than 40, air is pretty good but a lot of people have trouble with alergy stuff (sinus) we have the Santa Anna winds that blow from time to time.

There is not much night life here, crime is very low.

Simi is 9 miles long 7 miles wide, they are working on widening the Fwys. Schools are very nice and kept up, Simi valley is kept clean for the most part.

There are quite a few Police Officer's here and they do a terrific job. The Fire Department is outstanding too.

We have a nice new shopping mall plus several other's.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,393 times
Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village, way, way better than Simi Valley/Wood Ranch which is nothing but yucko stucco homes - if you like HOA comunities and chain restaurants, than SV is for you! But remember . . . . B.O.R.I.N.G. . . . . Plus it is HOT. Thousand Oaks/WLV is a million times better. Agoura, Oak Park, great but just as HOT as Simi. And forget Moorpark, you will be stuck on either the 118 or the 23, which come to think of it is the same for living in SV. I lived at Wood Ranch before there were any homes built there, then it was gorgeous. Now, a million little boxes that all look the same!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 5,326 times
Default Simi Valley - An Oasis from the Hustle & Bustle

Simi Valley is conservative, Republican, and the ethnicity population is overwhelmingly Caucasian. None of which describes me! My family and I moved here 14 years ago and although the Northridge Earthquake nudged us here, we've been happy here.

If you are planning on having children soon, this is a good place to settle down and raise them. There are many, many parks to choose from. Great schools. Lots of hiking trails. If you love to ride horses, we have trails for that too.

My husband and I love to attend the plays at the Cultural Arts Center. A beautiful building set in Central Simi. We also take the 30 - 45 min. drive to L.A. and watch plays there.

Yes, of course we have chain restaurants/stores - This is a suburb in California, not a village in Alaska. We have privately owned restaurants as well. Mouth-watering pasta, delicious Thai food and the best BBQ around - (Hit up Red's BBQ - You won't regret it!) A lot of great cuisine for the taking.

In conclusion, Simi Valley is a great place to live. You want to go to the beach - Oxnard is 30 minutes away. You want to go to the theatre and the night life - Hollywood is 30 minutes away. Nobody stays in their town for everything.

If you want a safe place to live w/a small town atmosphere feel, spiced w/a touch of class - Simi Valley is the place to be.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,210,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwench View Post
Simi Valley is conservative, Republican, and the ethnicity population is overwhelmingly Caucasian. None of which describes me! My family and I moved here 14 years ago and although the Northridge Earthquake nudged us here, we've been happy here.

If you are planning on having children soon, this is a good place to settle down and raise them. There are many, many parks to choose from. Great schools. Lots of hiking trails. If you love to ride horses, we have trails for that too.

My husband and I love to attend the plays at the Cultural Arts Center. A beautiful building set in Central Simi. We also take the 30 - 45 min. drive to L.A. and watch plays there.

Yes, of course we have chain restaurants/stores - This is a suburb in California, not a village in Alaska. We have privately owned restaurants as well. Mouth-watering pasta, delicious Thai food and the best BBQ around - (Hit up Red's BBQ - You won't regret it!) A lot of great cuisine for the taking.

In conclusion, Simi Valley is a great place to live. You want to go to the beach - Oxnard is 30 minutes away. You want to go to the theatre and the night life - Hollywood is 30 minutes away. Nobody stays in their town for everything.

If you want a safe place to live w/a small town atmosphere feel, spiced w/a touch of class - Simi Valley is the place to be.
Good post. Also check out Oaks Korean BBQ on LA Avenue at Sequoia. Whenever we travel back to see our folks we eat there.

More Kim Chi please....

Last edited by Charles; 01-14-2008 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 04:56 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,554,874 times
Anybody notice that the original poster hasn't posted again?

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM

20 posts, read 76,978 times
Simi Valley used to be an oasis but lately it has really changed. Higher crime rates, more building on the hills, more gangs, more drugs, more arrests for having firearms, more large amount of people living in single family homes renting floor space, illegal add-ons causing fires and even 2 deaths so far. I had a police helicopter hovering over my house 2 nights ago looking for gang suspects (or so the police told me when I called them!) Simi used to be on the safest city lists for the country but is not any more. We had 3 deaths here last year and Simi is not that big. There has been no street widening to accomodate the increase in traffic. The previous poster said that Simi is mostly white and while that was once true....my whole neighborhood is mostly hispanic so I think he needs to double check his info. There are alot in my area that don't even speak English so I think that old demographic is out of date. I moved here to get away from the violence and high crime in the San Fernando Valley and I have loved it for over 15 years but now it seems as if the Valley is coming here. There are alot of people who wanted to move here for the safer lifestyle and to get their kids away from gangs but they have brought all those things with them when they came. It is such a shame. Sad to say..I am probably going to be moving on soon to try and find the old Simi Valley spirit somewhere else. Is Simi better than Lancaster? Yes!! Is it still safe? No.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:33 AM

44 posts, read 202,193 times
My sister owns a home in simi and honestly, it's not bad.It's a very nice and clean city. Not much to do, but if you are raising kids do you really want a bar or nightclub around the corner? Obviously not.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:56 AM

44 posts, read 202,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Good post. Also check out Oaks Korean BBQ on LA Avenue at Sequoia. Whenever we travel back to see our folks we eat there.

More Kim Chi please....

My fav is Reds BBQ, MMMMMMM, Good Affordable, Friendly, Fast service.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 PM

61 posts, read 356,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dawggy View Post
My fav is Reds BBQ, MMMMMMM, Good Affordable, Friendly, Fast service.

Okay since you're on food, my husband's "must eat at" place whenever we're back in town is Ken of Japan on Cochran and Sycamore. He thinks their food is better than Benihana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County