Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:29 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Except it wouldn't have a basement or enough room for a tennis court.
Yes, and I should have written Oxnard will cost 20% less than TO. Didn't want to imply Oxnard was 20% cheaper than Georgia...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik Sorenson View Post
Oxnard/Ventura are expensive. They are close to the ocean, and have good air. Oxnard used to be a farming area, veges, still is and is the most resonable in price.

A 5 bedroom home in a decent area would cost more than 400K. I think much more.
A five-bedroom home in a decent area of Oxnard costs much more than $400k. Riverpark 4+3s were almost $700k the last time I checked, and that doesn't include association and certain development-specific fees.

For $400k+ you might find an older, foreclosed 3+2 or 1. Under that price, you're still looking at so-so condos. Nice condos start at around $1/2 million.

Oxnard, like most of Ventura County, is still a farming area, but it's not a farming town. You'll find ag fields and road-side fruit & vegie stands within the mix of the city's commercial, retail and residential areas. Good farmers' markets downtown and at the harbor, too.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-16-2007 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: AG/FM par addition

Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,455 times
I'm checking out this area as well. Look for a foreclosers or bank owned homes. There are tons of them in Ventura County.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADRMNDANES View Post
I'm checking out this area as well. Look for a foreclosers or bank owned homes. There are tons of them in Ventura County.
In nice places? I am curious. Thousand Oaks? Newbury Park? Simi? Camarillo? I would think not so.

But...I am reading about Amgen's problems.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In nice places? I am curious. Thousand Oaks? Newbury Park? Simi? Camarillo? I would think not so.

But...I am reading about Amgen's problems.
Ventura County's largest city, Oxnard, number one for foreclosure; Simi Valley number 2.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Ventura County's largest city, Oxnard, number one for foreclosure; Simi Valley number 2.
Challenge: Show me 91362

Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Challenge: Show me 91362
Thousand Oaks, 91362, 16: Ventura County Foreclosures.

The foreclosure rate in absolute numbers per city follows more or less the cities' size in population. The largest cities have the most foreclosures; smaller cities, least. Makes sense to me that Oxnard has more foreclosures than Ojai, for example:

Oxnard, Simi Valley, Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Santa Paula, Moorpark & Fillmore (tied), Ojai.

As I said, more or less according to population size. I believe TO is bigger than Camarillo, yet its foreclosure number are higher than TO.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Thousand Oaks, 91362, 16: Ventura County Foreclosures.

The foreclosure rate in absolute numbers per city follows more or less the cities' size in population. The largest cities have the most foreclosures; smaller cities, least. Makes sense to me that Oxnard has more foreclosures than Ojai, for example:

Oxnard, Simi Valley, Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Santa Paula, Moorpark & Fillmore (tied), Ojai.

As I said, more or less according to population size. I believe TO is bigger than Camarillo, yet its foreclosure number are higher than TO.
Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I should have worded this inquiry better. However, the inquiry wasn't addressed by your post. To restate, Does Oxnard (or Watts or Beverly Hills or Compton or Malibu) have the equivalent percentage of foreclosures as TO? I think we're looking for foreclosure percentage vs home prices (price/sqft) in one sense. ("Rate" is probably not a good word. "Rate" implies incidences with time...not incidences with number of samples.)

To attack this, I would expect a correlation of foreclosure percentage and subprime loans. Is there a correlation of subprime loans with home prices (price/sqft)? Is there a differential of home prices (price/sqft) with cities/towns/regions? (The answer is Yes to the last question.)

So, does Oxnard have a higher percentage of foreclosures than TO? My guess is yes, it does have a higher percentage. I don't think the percentages are equivalent. I may be wrong. Shoot, maybe they are the same???? That's why we're asking.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I will check it out. I should have worded this inquiry better. However, the inquiry wasn't addressed by your post. To restate, Does Oxnard (or Watts or Beverly Hills or Compton or Malibu) have the equivalent percentage of foreclosures as TO? I think we're looking for foreclosure percentage vs home prices (price/sqft) in one sense. ("Rate" is probably not a good word. "Rate" implies incidences with time...not incidences with number of samples.)

To attack this, I would expect a correlation of foreclosure percentage and subprime loans. Is there a correlation of subprime loans with home prices (price/sqft)? Is there a differential of home prices (price/sqft) with cities/towns/regions? (The answer is Yes to the last question.)

So, does Oxnard have a higher percentage of foreclosures than TO? My guess is yes, it does have a higher percentage. I don't think the percentages are equivalent. I may be wrong. Shoot, maybe they are the same???? That's why we're asking.
Lol! You are an engineer (pr. public profile). Forgive my loose use of terms.

You're correct, of course, the correlation to foreclosures cannot be analyzed solely against population. I haven't done any deep analysis of VC foreclosures, but I agree, it would be interesting to see the percentage of foreclosed homes to total listings, price per sq ft., and to the number of sub-prime loans for each city. Thousand Oaks has the highest household income in the county, so there should be fewer foreclosures there than almost anywhere else since most foreclosures are in the sub-prime market, and since most sub-prime loans are with lower incomes. But population shouldn't be completely ruled out in getting a clear picture of the situation in VC. Oxnard's household income is lower than TO, but Oxnard is much denser and almost twice as big as TO. A closer apples-to-apples comparison might be Ventura and Thousand Oaks when comparing cities. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County