U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:53 PM

110 posts, read 328,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
I dont really know the answers to your questions, but I do know that my son has a really rough time with his allergies when he is up there for camp vs. when he is at home (Thousand Oaks). Im not sure what allergens are higher in Ojai, whether its the grasses, weeds or mold. He doesnt have an allergy for trees, I dont think.

I found a website that lists the peak times for allergies in Ojai
CLICK HERE
Thank you, that's very useful. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 PM

130 posts, read 448,376 times
i would maybe like to add (i didnt read every post) the traffic after work in the area is going northbound on the 101. therefore, if u pick to live in TO, u will be driving south after work and going the opposite direction of traffic . ppl dont like driving up and down the "grade" (the steep hill/mountain on 101 between TO and camarillo). there is nothing wrong with the "grade", u just have to slow down alittle, thats all.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:02 PM

1,482 posts, read 4,451,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleword View Post
...there is nothing wrong with the "grade", u just have to slow down alittle, thats all.
If you're going to "slow down alittle" stay to the right. Nothing more irritating to the people coasting down the grade than those people slowing down / constantly hitting their breaks.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM

32 posts, read 56,643 times
Smile Oxnard backyard gardening/birding

Hello to all...

Can anyone recommend a strategy for creating (as quickly as possible) a treed, bushy, flowery backyard in Oxnard where currently there is mostly weedy grass? (If you can recommend specific trees, vines, shrubs, even a favorite garden center, this would help.) Finally, are there any songbirds/hummingbirds in Oxnard that would come to backyard feeders? Thanx.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:14 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,265,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL99 View Post
Hello to all...

Can anyone recommend a strategy for creating (as quickly as possible) a treed, bushy, flowery backyard in Oxnard where currently there is mostly weedy grass? (If you can recommend specific trees, vines, shrubs, even a favorite garden center, this would help.) Finally, are there any songbirds/hummingbirds in Oxnard that would come to backyard feeders? Thanx.
Everything grows well in Oxnard, and there are tons of birds of all types around that'll be attracted to the type of habitat you describe, Humming birds, too. A garden like the one you want will keep bugs out of your house, plus provide a food source for birds. Great idea!

Geraniums grow fabulously well. I've heard that it's the 'official plant of Oxnard'. Other things that grow well with low-water needs are rosemary, sages, garlic, mint, honeysuckle to name a few. Fruit trees, too - citrus, fig, plumb, avocado. They'll grow so well, in fact, that if you're not careful you'll have a jungle on your hands. Have fun!

Old 05-14-2008, 04:22 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,227,823 times
Don't forget the Oxnard strawberries. My parents drive to Oxnard from Thousand Oaks for those wonderful strawberries!

Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks so much to cre8 and cricket_factor! I'm hoping to get into the gardening soon and this helps a lot. I love all the plants cre8 mentioned--and a jungle would be most welcome! Never thought about growing my own strawberries, but hey, if the big fields can support them, why not a wee patch in the yard? Whee!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:57 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,265,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAL99 View Post
Thanks so much to cre8 and cricket_factor! I'm hoping to get into the gardening soon and this helps a lot. I love all the plants cre8 mentioned--and a jungle would be most welcome! Never thought about growing my own strawberries, but hey, if the big fields can support them, why not a wee patch in the yard? Whee!
We grew tomatoes, celery, carrots, kale, even corn in our west-Oxnard yard. All grew very, very well and tasted great. The nice thing is that with Oxnard's climate, we grew something year round. We did grow strawberries, but you have to keep you eye on them because the snails love them. We put out dishes with beer, which helped a little. Mostly you just have to pick your strawberries the minute they're ripe to keep them for yourself. Even then, you'll probably end up sacrificing a few.

A couple of other plants that do well in Oxnard are daisies (that daisy tree plan) and lavender. You can spread both fast with cuttings.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Hello to Winston Smith and Cricket_Factor! And anyone else out there who loves gardening--My last post here was more than a year ago, when I was just starting to plan to maybe move to Oxnard from the cold northeast. A few months later, I moved. And as I suspected, my house, which had been in my family for decades, was a wreck--and the back yard could have passed for a piece of Death Valley. The front yard still has a way to go, but hey, thanks so much for the encouragement--in the back yard, I've planted several lovely trees, some gorgeous flowering shrubs, and bougainvillea all over the boundary walls. I've put tomatoes, squashes, artichokes, peas, cucumbers in among the flowers, and I have never seen such a bonanza--tomorrow I'll have to pick a zucchini that must weigh ten pounds (I didn't see it under the leaves until it grew so big!).The trees are amazing...lemon, dwarf orange, avocado, carrotwood, tuliptree--and there's still room for another two, I think. (Being a northeasterner, I'm used to scads of trees, generally much taller than what I can grow here--but I'm quickly making up for height with sheer lushness and color-clamor--how gorgeous!)Thanks again. I think I'll be living here a long while!--GAL99
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County