Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Lowes, KFC, IHOP, Target.....gee its hard to find those places in other cities...

Oxnard has air...perhaps we should mention that too?
If you would like to add something of value feel free to do so. The OP wanted to know what was happening in Oxnard. Productive posters are informing the OP on changes that the area has faced over the past 20 years since the OP's leaving the area. I have yet to see how tearing down possitive posts is informative or helps the thread.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:22 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,049,444 times
Quote:
What's to like about Oxnard? Not too much..... There is the beach, the weather is good....and....?
What's more to like about Oxnard: the undercurrent of community involvement in terms of spiritual/religious, arts, theater, bicycling, community gardening.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
What's to like ... NARDCORE!!!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,010,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If you would like to add something of value feel free to do so.
I already did, whether you find it valuable is a different issue...now isn't it?

The point, if you missed it, is that there is nothing particularly special in Oxnard.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I already did, whether you find it valuable is a different issue...now isn't it?

The point, if you missed it, is that there is nothing particularly special in Oxnard.
In your opinion. But the more you post the more you display your superficiality and ignorance about Oxnard. If all you know about are strip malls, then I'll give you credit for knowledge about the Oxnard you see when strapped down and caged up inside of an automobile speeding down 101. I also give you credit for your geographical understanding that Oxnard has beaches. But I'm not impressed that you think that's all there is. You clearly don't know about things going on in Oxnard in terms of what many of the city's 200,000 people actually do that give the city a lively and interesting character. That level of familiarity does not interest a KIA like you. And that's ok. Just don't act like you know. You don't! So keep on posting. All you'll do is prove me right!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
In your opinion.
Yes and your comments, I imagine, are in your opinion.

Quote:
You clearly don't know about things going on in Oxnard in terms of what many of the city's 200,000 people actually do that give the city a lively and interesting character.
Umm.....things happen in every city in the country. The question, in relation to my comment, would be whether anything particularly special happens in Oxnard. Obviously I'd suggest that the answer is no....Oxnard is a pretty generic place, take away the beach and its not much different from the central valley.

What is a KIA? I assume you're not talking about the car brand....

Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Yes and your comments, I imagine, are in your opinion.

Umm.....things happen in every city in the country. The question, in relation to my comment, would be whether anything particularly special happens in Oxnard. Obviously I'd suggest that the answer is no....Oxnard is a pretty generic place, take away the beach and its not much different from the central valley.

What is a KIA? I assume you're not talking about the car brand....
My point is, you're judging the "book by its cover" and calling it final. Is that all we're doing around here on C-D? Someone asks an intelligent question and then we give superficial answers with a footnote, "nothing to see here, move along"!? The OP's question seems to me is more than about strip malls and outward appearance. Then again, maybe I just think too much.

Urban Dictionary: Kia

ETA: The undercurrent I wrote about is not my opinion. But of course my familiarity with the city is a lot different than yours, so it probably strikes you as "opinion" not knowledge about what goes on in Oxnard, which was meant to address the OP.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-30-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
My point is, you're judging the "book by its cover" and calling it final. Is that all we're doing around here on C-D?
No, I'm judging the book by its content, its merely your contention that I'm only superficially familiar with Oxnard.

But I'm sure a lot happens in Oxnard that I'm not familiar with, after all, its largely a Hispanic community and I'm not Hispanic.....Still....I'm certainly familiar enough with Oxnard to make judgements about it.

Anyhow, your "undercurrents" are just vague assertions, every city of a decent size has such "undercurrents".

Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
What's to like ... NARDCORE!!!
Yeah, sorta odd that such a small area would have a strong music screen in the 80's/90's...but that is all history. Its pretty much dead today...

Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
No, I'm judging the book by its content, its merely your contention that I'm only superficially familiar with Oxnard.

But I'm sure a lot happens in Oxnard that I'm not familiar with, after all, its largely a Hispanic community and I'm not Hispanic.....Still....I'm certainly familiar enough with Oxnard to make judgements about it.

Anyhow, your "undercurrents" are just vague assertions, every city of a decent size has such "undercurrents".
But there's a lot more to Oxnard in spite of a high-Latino population! Truth is, the city is a pretty nice mix of cultures blending, 30% or more foreign born, from all continents of the world. There is certainly a healthy and celebrated Hispanic heritage in Oxnard, but it doesn't stop there. And I was not vague about "undercurrents." I noted exactly what they are! My answer may not be relevant to you, but it's relevant to the OP's question. Actually, it's relevant to you too since you asked: what else? Was that rhetorical or were you inciting something?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-30-2011 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County