Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 01:03 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If I don't like something I tend to stay away from it and focus on things that I do infact like. I would think that individuals that have the time to exert such effort in explaining what is negative about an area must not have much of a life at all. I feel sorry for such people.
Oh yeah? You seem to be doing a good job of it here....or are you just trying to be ironic?

You can like Oxnard all you want, and I can dislike it all I want. Insisting that someone is miserable and has no life because they discuss a city they don't care for is ridiculous....... But yeah if insulting me gives you pleasure in life go for it....doesn't mean a thing to me.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oh yeah? You seem to be doing a good job of it here....or are you just trying to be ironic?

You can like Oxnard all you want, and I can dislike it all I want. Insisting that someone is miserable and has no life because they discuss a city they don't care for is ridiculous....... But yeah if insulting me gives you pleasure in life go for it....doesn't mean a thing to me.
You do realize you are lashing out at a mod right?

I was born in Oxnard and I'm damn proud of it and I used to spend Summers visiting my grandma who lived in downtown Oxnard and she would take me to all the places a high schooler could have fun at. I loved those years and my fond memories of Toys R Us and Chuckie Cheese and the old Esplanade in Oxnard when I was growing up there.

Oxnard is building a great mall, getting Whole Foods, already has high end car dealerships, great weather and the beach, has Fry's, and has a great restored part of their downtown.

Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley do NOT have a downtown and they LACK history like Heritage Square and they do NOT have the beach.

Oxnard has 200,000 population compared to 125,000 population in Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. A bigger city will have more crime. Look at Long Beach which has the beach and a nice port and downtown, but also has some poor areas with higher crime.

At least Oxnard is building a great mall with a movie theater, Whole Foods, and high end stores where the mall in Santa Maria has lame stores, no movie theater, and no draw.

I'd also say Fremont is the Bay Area version of Oxnard which has more Asians instead of a large amount of Hispanics. Fremont is building a high end mall with Whole Foods and a movie theater too.

The only communities in Ventura County I'd say that are not nice are Port Hueneme and Rio Linda which are mostly run down areas.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Oxnard is building a great mall, getting Whole Foods, already has high end car dealerships, great weather and the beach, has Fry's, and has a great restored part of their downtown.
Oxnard isn't building a "great mall", that mall was planned during the peck of the real estate bubble and as a result it was a poor plan...that is why its sitting their half built as we type.... You see the same thing in the "Simi Town Center", though it was actually built....

Building movie theaters, malls, etc can be rather damaging for a city if the developments are not well planned and justified by the economics conditions in the city.

Quote:
Thousand Oaks and Simi Valley do NOT have a downtown and they LACK history like Heritage Square and they do NOT have the beach.
Thousand oaks actually has a downtown, though its not "historic".

Quote:
Oxnard has 200,000 population compared to 125,000 population in Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks. A bigger city will have more crime.
Umm.......you measure crime relative to population. All crime indexes do this...

Quote:
I'd also say Fremont is the Bay Area version of Oxnard which has more Asians instead of a large amount of Hispanics.
Umm...huh? The only thing Fremont and Oxnard have in common are their populations...they are totally different demographically, socioeconomically, geographically, etc.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Why are we still comparing Oxnard and mentioning negative things? Go back to the thread's title>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
"WHAT'S TO LIKE ABOUT OXNARD?"
Yes, please, let's get back to the point, "What's to like about Oxnard?"

Salsa, tamales, foreign films, tree-lined "slow-lane" neighborhoods, quaint downtown, the only historic district in Ventura County, active citizenry, local arts, community gardens, temples and churches of many faiths, and a tolerance for the difference to go along with it.

These things are not fodder for debate. They are simply some things to like about Oxnard from one person's perspective (because I only speak for myself).

Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
These things are not fodder for debate. They are simply some things to like about Oxnard from one person's perspective (because I only speak for myself).
They're not "fodder" for debate because they are your perspective? I don't follow.....

There are personal perspectives and then there are facts...the two should not be confused. For example, Oxnard is not a diverse city, the data speaks for that very well. On the other hand you may like the way the Oxnard air feels in the morning.......which is entirely a personal matter. Anyhow, I have never suggested that you, or anybody else, should dislike Oxnard. Though I do find the focus on generic shopping centers filled with pseudo-luxury stores a bit odd.......

Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
They're not "fodder" for debate because they are your perspective? I don't follow.....

There are personal perspectives and then there are facts...the two should not be confused. For example, Oxnard is not a diverse city, the data speaks for that very well. On the other hand you may like the way the Oxnard air feels in the morning.......which is entirely a personal matter. Anyhow, I have never suggested that you, or anybody else, should dislike Oxnard. Though I do find the focus on generic shopping centers filled with pseudo-luxury stores a bit odd.......
So just let it be. You've stated your position ad nausium. We get it: you're a number's wonk. Statistics, charts and economic data get you off. That's fine. In a skeletal kind of way, it's one way to see the world and Oxnard, but not the only way.

ETA: People here are discussing a lot more than shopping centers and air quality. Let others have their say without your constant nitpicking.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 12-14-2011 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
So just let it be. You've stated your position ad nausium. We get it: you're a number's wonk. Statistics, charts and economic data get you off. That's fine. In a skeletal kind of way, it's one way to see the world and Oxnard, but not the only way.
My point has nothing to do with being a "numbers wonk", instead not to confuse factual matters with matters of personal taste.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
My point has nothing to do with being a "numbers wonk", instead not to confuse factual matters with matters of personal taste.
Exactly my point, genius, don't confuse statistics on a chart -- a skeleton view -- with years of day-to-day personal experience and intimate familiarity with the city. And if you're going to rely primarily on numbers, then do a little more work. Look at the numbers individually for the 50+ different neighborhoods in Oxnard. How about 10% -- five neighborhoods, by name and any type of detail you want. My challenge to you. Go on, research and tell us all about it.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point, genius, don't confuse statistics on a chart -- a skeleton view -- with years of day-to-day personal experience and intimate familiarity with the city.
Umm....no, that isn't your point....you're just repeating your "personal experience" fallacy. To say it once more, some issues are matters of fact some matters of personal taste. "Personal experience" provides little information about factual matters...indeed it generally leads to mistaken conclusions. You know....like how you think Oxnard is diverse when its not...

Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
You do realize you are lashing out at a mod right?
What makes a mod deserve special handling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County