Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oxnard is more than Hispanics? I'm not even sure what that is suppose to mean... In terms of culture the Hispanics in Oxnard are largely Mexican. Oxnard is a Hispanic working-class community, that is its defining characteristic more than anything....the existence of such and such big box retailer really doesn't tell you much which was my point earlier. Whether that is something to "like about Oxnard" is obviously up to the individual....

What depth exactly are you adding? You responded to my factual post about Oxnard's demographics by talking about "corners" and how wrong I was even though I was citing the US Census.... I still don't get what you were getting at....

SOON2B went into depth on the development side of matters and I think everyone can agree there are a number of new developments. Now, whether these developments are a positive for Oxnard is another matter..... Most were built out of the delusion of the housing bubble, after all, who builds a large strip mall with faux "high end" housing in a lower income Hispanic community? Developers drunk on cheap credit.....and city officials with little foresight.
There are so many flaws, inaccuracies and and lacking of understanding with these statements that I'm not even going to attempt it. You have a surface bias about Oxnard, but you don't know the city in detail nor in its nuanced patchwork and variety. To see that variety it takes getting to know the city beyond the big-boxes along 101. What depth am I adding? Go back and r-e-a-d!

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,077,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
You have a surface bias about Oxnard, but you don't know the city in detail nor in its nuanced patchwork and variety. To see that variety it takes getting to know the city beyond the big-boxes along 101.
No, as I said before, its merely your contention that I have a "surface bias about Oxnard"....that is your way of trying to invalidate my view on the city.

Why would I be more familiar with the big box retailers in Oxnard? Why would anybody in the Conejo Valley drive to Oxnard to shop? My primary reason for going to Oxnard is industrial...if you haven't noticed Oxnard has a large manufacturing sector.... As I said before, I'm most familiar with the older parts....I really have no reason to drive through some of the new Mc-developments.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
For those who don't know who Nardcore is:

NARDCORE 30 YEARS LATER - YouTube
That got my blood moving!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,091 times
Quote:
Yes and your comments, I imagine, are in your opinion.

Umm.....things happen in every city in the country. The question, in relation to my comment, would be whether anything particularly special happens in Oxnard. Obviously I'd suggest that the answer is no....Oxnard is a pretty generic place, take away the beach and its not much different from the central valley.

What is a KIA? I assume you're not talking about the car brand....
Um Oxnard is very different from the Central Valley. Oxnard is getting a Whole Foods and a high end mall, it has high end car dealerships, a part of their downtown that attracts people, and has a good mix of races even though Hispanics are the majority.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Um Oxnard is very different from the Central Valley. Oxnard is getting a Whole Foods and a high end mall, it has high end car dealerships, a part of their downtown that attracts people, and has a good mix of races even though Hispanics are the majority.
Oxnard has been "getting" a Whole foods for what, 3 years now? That development has been an eyesore for a few years now.....just a really bad idea.

But I don't understand your post, you suggest that Oxnard is "very different" from the Central Valley yet name things that can all be found in the central valley. There are whole foods stores in the centrally valley, there are "high end" shopping centers, there are "high end" car dealerships, there are downtown areas...etc.

So how is Oxnard different? The beach...and that is about it.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 PM

299 posts, read 1,152,821 times
user_id,

Every time I read your posts I always look for the..... [-] Rate this post negatively. Oh do I wish they had one and bet ya that you would be right up at the top of the rating list. I'm sure you will reply to this post with your usual garbage but as this is strictly MHO and for me its Nuff said!!!!

jOE

Old 12-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Oxnard has been "getting" a Whole foods for what, 3 years now? That development has been an eyesore for a few years now.....just a really bad idea.

But I don't understand your post, you suggest that Oxnard is "very different" from the Central Valley yet name things that can all be found in the central valley. There are whole foods stores in the centrally valley, there are "high end" shopping centers, there are "high end" car dealerships, there are downtown areas...etc.

So how is Oxnard different? The beach...and that is about it.
There is ONE Whole Foods in the Central Valley and thats in Fresno a city twice the size of Oxnard. If Oxnard is smaller and is getting a LARGER Whole Foods, then must mean richer people live in Oxnard or more rich people live in Oxnard.

Second, what upscale centers in the San Joaquin Valley are you talking about? The Marketplace in Bakersfield and Fig Garden Village in Fresno are nothing compared to the high end stores Oxnard is getting.

And again, all the high end dealerships are in Fresno.

And downtown areas in the San Joaquin Valley? No No No! Oxnard's downtown has some live in them, and the downtowns in the Central Valley are dead at night. Oxnard's downtown has a park, a big movie theater, restaurants, night clubs, and a historic district. You won't see all that in Bako or Fresno.

The downtowns in the San Joaquin Valley are old and have not been redeveloped in years. Oxnard's new developments have helped it out.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
There is ONE Whole Foods in the Central Valley and thats in Fresno a city twice the size of Oxnard. If Oxnard is smaller and is getting a LARGER Whole Foods, then must mean richer people live in Oxnard or more rich people live in Oxnard.
Which is one more than exists in Oxnard. Also, the market for this store wouldn't be just Oxnard...but rather the entire Oxnard plain. You lost me on the rich people thing....what does whole foods have to do with rich people? Certainly people on the bottom of the economic spectrum aren't concerning themselves with organic food, etc....but whole foods stores aren't filled with rich people...

Putting a Whole foods in Oxnard makes no sense.....

Quote:
Oxnard's downtown has a park, a big movie theater, restaurants, night clubs, and a historic district. You won't see all that in Bako or Fresno.
Except that you will, Fresno has a more developed downtown than Oxnard.

So your argument seems to be that Oxnard is "very different" because it is getting...maybe.....at some point.....a store that already exists in the central valley and some "high end" stores that also already exist in the central valley. I'm not even sure why you are referring to the stores as "high end" in the first place....just your typical stores.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,611 times
Putting a Whole Foods in Oxnard makes sense because this means I don't have to make my trek to TO when I need to get some of the products I can normally find there and nowhere else...

Old 12-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Which is one more than exists in Oxnard. Also, the market for this store wouldn't be just Oxnard...but rather the entire Oxnard plain. You lost me on the rich people thing....what does whole foods have to do with rich people? Certainly people on the bottom of the economic spectrum aren't concerning themselves with organic food, etc....but whole foods stores aren't filled with rich people...

Putting a Whole foods in Oxnard makes no sense.....

Except that you will, Fresno has a more developed downtown than Oxnard.

So your argument seems to be that Oxnard is "very different" because it is getting...maybe.....at some point.....a store that already exists in the central valley and some "high end" stores that also already exist in the central valley. I'm not even sure why you are referring to the stores as "high end" in the first place....just your typical stores.
Um, have you ever looked at the requirements for where they build a Whole Foods? I don't see the poor Hispanic and Black families shopping there. It's mostly the educated and rich folk who shop at Whole Foods.

The one in Oxnard is going to be about 50,000 sq. ft. and the one one in Fresno is about at 33,000 sq. ft.

Fresno and Bakersfield have say about 20 high apparel and other mall stores each.

Oxnard having a 600,000 sq. ft. open-air mall will have about 40 high end apparel and other mall stores. Oxnard will prob get H&M and one of those r in the Valley. Oxnard is getting a huge REI store and none r in the Valley.

This means Oxnard will have stores that the San Joaquin Valley doesn't have.

Also, Oxnard has Fry's Electronics and none r in the valley.

I have never seen a Lexus dealership in the Valley.

Fresno having a more developed downtown means ****. There are cities like Long Beach which have built up downtowns and are much nicer.

Oxnard has a nice part of downtown. There is no part of downtown Fresno that is nice.

Oxnard has people there making lots of money. It makes sense Whole Foods would come.

Not to mention Oxnard has 2 Fresh N Easy stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County