Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM

306 posts, read 603,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
No......they two cities are very different demographically....which is my point about Oxnard and the Central Valley. Those two areas are very similar demographically.......they just differ geographically.

So then, the question in the OP is entirely relative to one's socioeconomic perspective. You can make a long list of interesting things in Oxnard and none of it will change the fact that its primarily a lower income Hispanic community.......and as such it will be difficult for many to feel "at home" there.
No big city in the central valley has 75% Hispanic population. Hispanic populations are between 30-50% in the bigger cities. Whites and mexicans for the most part have equal populations and account for 80% or more of a cities population in most locations. There are also large population of blacks and asians and east indian. Last checked there were at least 40,000 blacks in Fresno city limits, and around the same amount of Asians. You must be talking about the smaller farm towns Delano, Madera, Tulare etc.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:53 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
No big city in the central valley has 75% Hispanic population. Hispanic populations are between 30-50% in the bigger cities.
My comment was more so referencing socioeconomic status and not ethnicity...though both areas do have large Hispanic communities.

But yeah, Fresno is more ethnically diverse than Oxnard...but socioeconomically its about the same.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:57 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
No......they two cities are very different demographically....which is my point about Oxnard and the Central Valley. Those two areas are very similar demographically.......they just differ geographically.

So then, the question in the OP is entirely relative to one's socioeconomic perspective. You can make a long list of interesting things in Oxnard and none of it will change the fact that its primarily a lower income Hispanic community.......and as such it will be difficult for many to feel "at home" there.
Oh, never mind, I'll be banned from the forums if I write it....

Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Oh, never mind, I'll be banned from the forums if I write it....
The fact that cities differ socioeconomically and that people, in general, seek out areas where they fit in socioeconomically shouldn't be the sort of thing that generates a nasty remark.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:05 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
My comment was more so referencing socioeconomic status and not ethnicity...though both areas do have large Hispanic communities.

But yeah, Fresno is more ethnically diverse than Oxnard...but socioeconomically its about the same.
Why are we still comparing Oxnard and mentioning negative things? Go back to the thread's title>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
"WHAT'S TO LIKE ABOUT OXNARD?"

Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Why are we still comparing Oxnard and mentioning negative things? Go back to the thread's title
"WHAT'S TO LIKE ABOUT OXNARD?"
Because that is how discussions work....now as for the thread title....as I said before: Not much.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Because that is how discussions work....now as for the thread title....as I said before: Not much.
Sir, you are killing your credibility and I may be the only one who sees the irony in this all....

You have pointed out one of the reasons you don't like Oxnard because of the higher number of Hispanics and sprawl and crime.....

While yet you live in the WHITE suburban Conejo Valley.

Your prejudice against Oxnard because it has more Hispanics and more crime makes you lose credibility. EVERYWHERE there is crime. There is more crime in Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks than people know because there is a thing called corruption where the police don't report everything.

My family was in the Ventura County from Oxnard to Thousand Oaks for many years.

You want to live in a an elitist White area, then move out of SoCal or better yet out of state. This state was built up by the Hispanics and their hardwork on our farms and it's culture is rooted in Hispanics.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
You have pointed out one of the reasons you don't like Oxnard because of the higher number of Hispanics and sprawl and crime.....

While yet you live in the WHITE suburban Conejo Valley.
The primary reason I'd never live in Oxnard isn't because it has a large number of Hispanics, but rather because it has a large number of low income..or rather working class folks. If Oxnard was primarily upper-class Hispanic families I'd rather live there than a city filled with working-class whites....

Quote:
Your prejudice against Oxnard because it has more Hispanics and more crime makes you lose credibility. EVERYWHERE there is crime.
The fact that you can find crime everywhere doesn't negate the fact that different areas have different levels of crime. But I didn't even say much about crime in Oxnard....so I'm not sure why you are talking about this. Indeed, I suggested that this is one area where Oxnard has likely improved on since you've been there.

Quote:
You want to live in a an elitist White area, then move out of SoCal or better yet out of state.
Just to repeat my earlier comment, which I'm sure you ignored, this isn't a racial issue for me but a socioeconomic issue.

Also, just to note, not wanting to live around working-class Hispanics is much different than finding no value in them. I don't want to live in Oxnard for much the same reason Oxnard is primarily Hispanic, people like to live among people that are like themselves.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
The fact that cities differ socioeconomically and that people, in general, seek out areas where they fit in socioeconomically shouldn't be the sort of thing that generates a nasty remark.
No but your pointless circle arguments do....

Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I doubt that I spend much time in my life on subject areas that I don't like. I have always wondered why it is that some people have the idea that it is ok to talk in a negative light about subjects, people, places, or things. personally I don't have the time to spend informing people of negative ideas on any given subject. If I don't like something I tend to stay away from it and focus on things that I do infact like. I would think that individuals that have the time to exert such effort in explaining what is negative about an area must not have much of a life at all. I feel sorry for such people. They must be living a sad sad life. To continue a conversation and add no additional details other than to rehash the same or similar subject matter seems to be a waste of key strokes. When it comes to light that an individual is not living within the community they are tearing down and have little knowledge of what is happening in the city then I tend to brush their thoughts aside and take what they say with a grain of salt.

Many of us do infact love the Oxnard area and what it has to offer. we like living here. We are a part of the framework of this community we call home. It has life and history. The place is vibrant with growth and opportunity. Plenty of things are happening here. No need to push an agenda that places hate on an area. Share the love.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 12-13-2011 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County