Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM

635 posts, read 1,652,156 times

Advertisements

I know...CA has not been doing so well. I was born in Ventura in 1970 but left at the ripe old age of 4. Visited relatives during the summers. My how things have changed. I am now 41 and have been doing a lot of soul searching and thinking about where I want to be in the next few years. I just survived the Joplin, Missouri Tornado and would like to venture out and explore. If I were to choose (take a chance) a small (less than 100,000) area...what would you recommend? I have a BS in Psychology, not a big money maker but can get by on that salary. I have family...that I've never met in person in Ventura. Keep in mind...I was standing in my living room when the tornado wrapped itself around my house. Life is too short to be too scared of taking some risks. I would be working in Social services, Psychiatric institutions etc. Any advice? I love the ocean and would love to feel the sand between my toes again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,629,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I am now 41
f I were to choose (take a chance) a small (less than 100,000) area...what would you recommend?
I have a BS in Psychology,
can get by on that salary.
I would be working in Social services, Psychiatric institutions etc.
I love the ocean and would love to feel the sand between my toes again.
Oxnard or Port Hueneme are in the ballpark. Everything depends on a job. Ventura County government services may have a job.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,286,433 times
Ventura has over 100,000 people.

Oxnard is in the 200,000 range and is just across the River bottom from Ventura.

Port Hueneme is surrounded by Oxnard. I think that they are in the 20,000 range.

Basically what you have is an area with well over 300,000 people.

Not sure if you are looking for an area that is just at the 100,000 mark.

As far as your degree, their is Vista Del Mar Hospital in Ventura that you could try. Not sure what they look for in a degree. They are a Psych Hospital. In Oxnard their is another place that may have a need. I have friend that live in Joplin that were from here. They own a few businesses and a Pizza place. Have not been there myself. Just wondering though, when you get here we could have an earthquake or something. LOL. Every area has its thing you know.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,041,475 times
Small communities for the most part, along the central coast. Not the easiest place to find a job.

Atascadaro has a state mental hospital with some job openings.

It's in San Luis Obispo county, not very populated, certainly not compared to Ventura/Oxnard.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Ventura has over 100,000 people.

Oxnard is in the 200,000 range and is just across the River bottom from Ventura.

Port Hueneme is surrounded by Oxnard. I think that they are in the 20,000 range.

Basically what you have is an area with well over 300,000 people.

Not sure if you are looking for an area that is just at the 100,000 mark.

As far as your degree, their is Vista Del Mar Hospital in Ventura that you could try. Not sure what they look for in a degree. They are a Psych Hospital. In Oxnard their is another place that may have a need. I have friend that live in Joplin that were from here. They own a few businesses and a Pizza place. Have not been there myself. Just wondering though, when you get here we could have an earthquake or something. LOL. Every area has its thing you know.

Lol...very true. But we have gotten earthquakes recently. Granted the epicenter was in OKlahomah but we still felt it. I'm like geezzzzzzzzzz we can't catch a break. I feel that if I'm going to experience more potential for natural disasters I'd like it to be because I've ventured out to explore new things. I've been here 22 years...first tornado that I've seen personally and largest known to man (on the EF scale) .

Thanks for the info...think my grandma was in the psych hospital in Ventura...came down to see her from Oregon in 1989. Long story...LOL
I know its going to be difficult to find lesser populated areas...thinking mainly some place that has a closer community feel to it.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oxnard or Port Hueneme are in the ballpark. Everything depends on a job. Ventura County government services may have a job.
Thanks!!! My brothers dad lived in Port Hueneme. I appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County