U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,197,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

Thousand Oaks has the best library. It's only for TO residents, and not a county library. It's fantastic.
I found this to be a negative. One library (actually about 1.5 considering the NP branch) vs entire library systems (LA County, LA City, Ventura County,Orange County, etc) which have dozens of branches which have a lot more materials. Would prefer TO join the Ventura County library system. Mission Viejo Library is the same way, not part of the OC Library System.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM

3,638 posts, read 2,705,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I found this to be a negative. One library (actually about 1.5 considering the NP branch) vs entire library systems (LA County, LA City, Ventura County,Orange County, etc) which have dozens of branches which have a lot more materials. Would prefer TO join the Ventura County library system. Mission Viejo Library is the same way, not part of the OC Library System.
Thousand Oaks may have been the first to drop out of the County system back in the late 80's, but since then Camarillo and Moorpark have too, and now Simi Valley is dropping out as well.

Large county library systems may have quantity, but not quality. T.O. has all the new best sellers, and they are actually THERE when you want to read them. They have lots of computers. You can talk with a reference librarian easily. They will gladly go to LA County or other systems for what you need if they don't have it. And there is not a bunch of homeless people hanging out there.

KCLU | Simi Valley Library To Be Run By Private Operator

Old 03-16-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thousand Oaks may have been the first to drop out of the County system back in the late 80's, but since then Camarillo and Moorpark have too, and now Simi Valley is dropping out as well.

Large county library systems may have quantity, but not quality. T.O. has all the new best sellers, and they are actually THERE when you want to read them. They have lots of computers. You can talk with a reference librarian easily. They will gladly go to LA County or other systems for what you need if they don't have it. And there is not a bunch of homeless people hanging out there.

KCLU | Simi Valley Library To Be Run By Private Operator
I never had any problems at any of the CO or City libraries like that mentioned above.

While we're on libraries in that region, what irked me a few years ago is when LA County built the Westlake Village library one mile from the beautiful LA County Agoura Hills library.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I never had any problems at any of the CO or City libraries like that mentioned above.
A friend is an LA County librarian. She says the homeless folks hanging out is a big issue. You are fortunate not to have encountered it.

Quote:
While we're on libraries in that region, what irked me a few years ago is when LA County built the Westlake Village library one mile from the beautiful LA County Agoura Hills library.
Irked me, too. Oh, that story goes back 20 years. Here's a link for the basic setup. Yes, stupid. But that's the petty politics of small "cities."

Cities, County Grapple With Library Issue : Improvements: Agoura Hills, Westlake Village and Calabasas cannot reach a consensus on a facility that would best serve the public. - Los Angeles Times

Old 03-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
A friend is an LA County librarian. She says the homeless folks hanging out is a big issue. You are fortunate not to have encountered it.
The absence of homeless at the TO library has nothing to do with it being an independent library. There are no homeless there because it is TO.

I experienced no homeless at the county library because I only visited the Agoura Hills Library for LA CO libraries (and the Platt Ranch library for LA City and the Oak Park for Ventura County and now Rancho Santa Margarita for OC Libraries). It depends on the neighborhood.

Now, if you visited an independent (not system) library in a neighborhood with homeless, then that library might be visited by homeless too.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM

5 posts, read 5,557 times
I grew up in Agoura and still live there now. They are all nice areas with slight differences.
1. Westlake -- I feel it is a nice middle ground of all these places. Big area, larger school, more shopping and things to do in the city itself.
2. Agoura Hills -- a bit more diverse, but not as diverse as T.O. Smaller (though not as small as Oak Park) with few options of things to do. Places to shop are slowly growing, but for anything but groceries you really have to drive out of town (even for a Petsmart you got to go to Westlake). There are A LOT of parks in the city, which is great for the kids.
3. Calabasas -- Very high end rich community. I went to middle school there and I don't really have much of an opinion other than it is full of very rich people.
4. T.O. -- the most diverse of all the options. It is much larger than the rest and has a lot of options of things to do and places to shop within the city itself.
5. Oak Park -- very small community. I feel that their schools are probably ranked the best in the area. I have always heard how awesome their academics are and how people from all over want to transfer into their schools. It is a cute city. Not much to do in the town unless you like hiking and going to the park, which is nice for family fun! The most "home town" feel I think you will get out of these options. I always feel the need to mention that it is so small that they don't even have a gas station in the city.

All of these communities are very safe areas for a young family to move to. Any option would be good. I would probably choose Oak Park myself with Westlake as a second choice probably. All of these communities will have 16 year old kids driving brand new high end cars bought for them. Thousand Oaks will have a little less of that and Calabasas with the most of that.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:43 AM

5 posts, read 5,557 times
Oh btw Agoura and Calabasas are considered Los Angeles County, which means higher taxes for those who live in those areas. The rest are in Ventura County which has slightly lower taxes if that makes any difference to you.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelzzz View Post
Oh btw Agoura and Calabasas are considered Los Angeles County, which means higher taxes for those who live in those areas.
And so is 1/2 of Westlake Village, east of LaVenta.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelzzz View Post
5. Oak Park -- very small community. I feel that their schools are probably ranked the best in the area. I have always heard how awesome their academics are and how people from all over want to transfer into their schools.

Another reason is Oak Park invites people to transfer to its schools because it is (was?) in need of students (there were more seats than fannies). My info is from about ten or so years ago, so things might have changed but the demographics of Oak Park has changed in the past 25 or so years. Less school aged kids - less state education dollars - this drives Oak Park to invites kids to its schools.

This doesn't take anything away from Oak Park being an outstanding school district.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM

119 posts, read 61,822 times
My opinion is Thousand Oaks is more diverse in it's housing suiting many price ranges and has a good commercial shopping area which means less driving around. Having lived in Oak Park and Westlake Village, I feel T.O. is also more easy going and less materialistic. Schools are good in all areas mentioned.
When my son was small, I was one of the few Mom's pushing a swing when living in Oak Park while nannies or housekeepers were with the other kids. My neighbors were always trying to move on up to the bigger house and better car whether they could afford it or not. That is my personal experience which is why I would chose T.O. next time around.
Lot's of drugs in the high schools and heroin is the newest drug to hit the burbs. It is a real problem now reaching all the way to Simi Valley. Point is there is no perfect place and you must look beyond the superficial and find out the history and who your neighbors might be. When I moved to our last home in the North Ranch area, I brought my son with me to introduce ourselves to our neighbors which was only eight as it was a cul-de-sac. No one really knew who their neighbors were and they had lived there for years! There were no sidewalks either. It really is a bubble living in Oak Park and Westlake. Pretty, yes. I hope the OP enjoys their life in T.O.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County