Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
but we feel like the area where we live is asexual.

As for "older parents,"
made my day

I ride road bikes with people 20 years older than me, age is far from an indicator of activity around me, they ride 60+ miles.

Quote:
Do you think we can find a 4/2 or 3/2 for under $750K in that area? We are open to a townhouse with a small yard for our dog as long as it is in a safe area with excellent schools.
For 750K, can I get a nice house in a good school district west of the 405

I'm a late comer, where is your husband intending to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:44 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
thelopez2,

Wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying that age had anything to do with the couples here seeming asexual. Rather, the age difference has made it extra difficult to connect with other couples as they are at a different place in their lives, most notably in the financial realm. This area is very homogenous and for whatever reason attracted a large amount of older, intelligent, affluent white people with little or no interest in sexual activity.

DH is finding jobs to apply for in the LA area, but so far none of them pay anything close to what he is making and everyone says the commute from TO to LA isn't reasonable long term.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:18 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
thelopez2,

Wanted to clarify that I wasn't saying that age had anything to do with the couples here seeming asexual. Rather, the age difference has made it extra difficult to connect with other couples as they are at a different place in their lives, most notably in the financial realm. This area is very homogenous and for whatever reason attracted a large amount of older, intelligent, affluent white people with little or no interest in sexual activity.

DH is finding jobs to apply for in the LA area, but so far none of them pay anything close to what he is making and everyone says the commute from TO to LA isn't reasonable long term.
I'm not trying to give you are hard time, made me laugh.

As far as kids dancing, maybe you can do some research on the Redondo School of Dance, it appear to be a very large facility , very crowded with dance moms and mini vans.

The cost of living in this "Southbay" is in the $650-1.2 range if you don't want a view of the ocean or live in Palos Verdes. If you start hoarding your cash you can easily buy something here, it will feel like 3rd world prices for you. Your 20% down might become a more of a 30% down.

I can't comment if you will find people to participate in the activities which you mentioned above, I actually don't get it, but there is a pretty active beach volleyball scene and the school aren't bad from what people tell me.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Do you think that we don't make constant judgements about almost everything we encounter as humans?
Yes.....we do but those judgments say more about your personal biases, etc than it does the person being judged.

Quote:
Also, the conversations I have been a party to have led me to the conclusion that physical intimacy isn't an interest amongst the adults here, quite the contrary. And I do "know" people here so that isn't exactly fair to say that I don't know them. Women divulge quite a bit to one another over a glass of wine at a mom's night out.
So you're basing what thousands of couples do together on what a few wives have said about their husbands? I mean, do you believe that there is something in the water in Thousand Oaks that makes the men less interested in physical intercourse?

Quote:
Yes, life here revolves around swim team and that is not an exaggeration in the least. They are quite proud of it in fact. In the summer, people paint all over their cars with team names etc... and put signs up all over town making reference to swim team such as "swim faster".
I think its a huge exaggeration and I've lived in the area for years.....I can't even recall the last time I've never heard about swim teams. But....maybe I'm not in? Though I'm not sure what that would mean.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
This area is very homogenous and for whatever reason attracted a large amount of older, intelligent, affluent white people with little or no interest in sexual activity.
Thousand Oaks has gotten more affluent over the years, but it has also gotten less white over the years. Thousand Oaks' population is older than average....but not significantly older. Santa Monica, for example, has less families with kids than Thousand Oaks and has very similar racial demographics. All these things, except people's sexual activity, is tracked in the US census so we don't need to speculate much about it.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 AM

961 posts, read 2,566,461 times
You do realize that I am speaking about where I live, the East Bay and not TO, right?

Old 04-05-2014, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,393 times
Hello everyone,
This thread has been helpful in helping us gauge the areas that we are looking at for an upcoming move to Southern CA. Can anyone point us to a realtor or property management company that they have used and were happy with? We were down there a few weeks ago (Agoura Hills) and visited 3 elementary schools and several different neighborhoods in TO, Newbury Park, Agoura Hills, Oak Park & Westlake (also Moorpark & Simi Valley). The best perspective we got was really from chatting with locals at the park, cafes, markets, etc. We'll be coming from Oregon and are ready to move on to the next phase by connecting with local realtors down there. TIA for any help.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:13 PM

136 posts, read 237,768 times
Yes! The Realtor's name is Brenda Hagen. She helped us buy two homes and sell one. Knows the area like the back of her hand. Not a snotty Westlake Realtor. Very nice and very accommodating. She did work for Prudential Realty in North Ranch years ago. Just Google her.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks, mikesmom! I'm currently making a contact list so will add her to it. We're thinking it might be best for us to rent for 6 months or so in order to get to know the different areas better. DH will have an office in Moorpark and West Hills and he's leaning toward the Moorpark office after our visit to both. We have a 4- and 2-year old and it seems that all the areas discussed in this thread cater to families just a matter of which will be the best fit.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:28 PM

mikesmom - thanks for that info. Looks like she is still with Prudential CA Realty and her site has a community information section that has basic info for each of the towns? cities? we're interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County