U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:10 AM

202 posts, read 725,554 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about the pros and cons of living in Wood Ranch (Simi Valley) How much is the HOA dues?
It it more of a family friendly place with lots of kids or more for singles and retires?
It is really as quite and relaxing and friendly as the sales people say?

Thanks much for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 06:30 AM

26,347 posts, read 76,282,719 times
Pros: Nice well planned community. Landscaped and maintained. Some people would call it cookie cutter. OK, others appreciate the covenants and amenities. Families and kids. Good schools. Played in many softball leagues there. Excellent mountain biking in the Santa Susana foothills. Almost as hot as the Valley. I would say relaxing. Probably not good for young single people - too boring. There's a big Ventura County Sheriff's station and a fire station nearby. I like that. There is virtually no crime, about as safe as it gets. Nice place. I'd live there or Thousand Oaks if I didn't have to commute too far.

Cons: Location. To get to the 101 you first have to head west on Madera/Olson to the 23 south (which when I was there a couple of months ago is being widened to three lanes each direction.) The 23 south is notoriously slow going up the grade. Finally, about 20 (in traffic) minutes after you left your house you arrive at 101/23.
Getting to the 118 isn't so bad but the 118 east can get rough after 7AM especially if the sun is in every driver's eyes. If you work in the Conejo Valley or the Oxnard plane you are OK. Gets rougher heading out to the Valley (unless you can flex your hours at start really early like six. That's what I did when I worked at Northrop Grumman (Litton) and commuted from Thousand Oaks). The 101 (and to a lesser extent the 118) get really bad after 7AM. And I mean really bad.

Do you have to commute? To where? That makes all the difference in world.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks for your input Charles
Yes, I would have to commute to Northridge so I am sure the 118 east bound will be a nightmare at 8:00 AM
Or I could go through Box Canyon and take Saticoy.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aween View Post
Thanks for your input Charles
Yes, I would have to commute to Northridge so I am sure the 118 east bound will be a nightmare at 8:00 AM
Or I could go through Box Canyon and take Saticoy.
Be in Northridge or, leave to Northridge at 8:00AM?

My bad. My question is irrelevant. You have to go 118. That's it.

No way Box Canyon. Unless a 747 crashes in the Santa Susana Pass.

Other alternatives in Simi are Royal to Tapo to LA avenue. You could work Santa Susana Pass Road (and visit Charlie Manson's Spahn Ranch hideout) down to Topanga and either get back on 118 or work Chatsworth Street or Devonshire Street east.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 AM

I have to be in Northridge hospital at 9:00 AM
The reason I mentioned Box was because when I lived in Lake manor Chatsworth,(I used to work at Simi hosp) Box Canyon was much quicker than going north to Topanga and catching the 118 west. Besides I adore Box and love driving though.(so peaceful and beautiful) Would love to live in Box or the santa susana knolls, but slim pickings in that area LOL!!
BTW do you know approx the HOA dues in Wood Ranch? I am looking for a simple two story detached home with security, a fireplace and a laundry room. and a community swiming pool And I have two very mean bulldogs and a very mean guard kitty. My body guards LOL!! Right
Thanks again for the imput Charles

Old 09-02-2007, 05:22 PM

9,342 posts, read 2,174,036 times
Aween,

HOA fees in Wood Ranch will vary depending upon which development you choose. There are apts, condos, single family homes, estates .. you'll need to check each development re: hoa fees.

I totally agree with Charles that Wood Ranch is a great place to live. I don't live there but I do have friends that do & they love it. Its definitely safe, and kept really nice. The parks are clean. They have a newer elementary school, but unfortunately they go to Simi schools for middle & high school.

You could take Royal almost all the way through Simi, then to Santa Susanna Pass, and into the valley, if you really want to avoid the 118. I dont know how bad the traffic is in the morning going into the valley, but it may not be bad. The bulk of the traffic seems to go the other way, I think.

You asked about the demographics of the people who live in Wood Ranch. Every time I have ever been there there are tons of people out walking around, at the parks, etc. and I would say mostly young families, or couples. Dont see too many older people (but they may be inside). There is the country club right there, too, so maybe all the retirees are golfing It is definitely a 'go outside and mingle with your neighbors' sort of area, which I love.

Hope you find a home that fits your needs.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 PM

20 posts, read 76,272 times
I have lived in Simi Valley for 15 years and it has really gotten worse the last few years. Lots of housing going up on the hills, destruction of habitat and bike and hiking trails, gang members moving in as people move here from the SF Valley and bring the problems here, crime going up and etc. Drugs becoming a problem as well. It has been my city of choice for a long time and it was always on the safest city in the nation top 10 list until 2005. Now not even in the top 20. There are alot of multi-family issues coming up and because of illegal additions there has been fires here and even some deaths due to faulty wiring, illegal garage conversions and etc. Also, even though building has been going up like crazy there has been no street widening going on and the freeways are a mess right now and it takes 30-45 minutes to go 13 miles (from Simi to Thousand Oaks). I live right next to Wood Ranch and do my grocery shopping there and etc. The prices are very high for housing so I really recommend lots of price comparisons. Please, don't get the wrong idea because I have enjoyed Simi for many years but now I am getting ready to move on (very reluctantly) and look somewhere else to try and find that old Simi spirit. I wish you lots of luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 AM
RN2

6 posts, read 31,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersperry View Post
I have lived in Simi Valley for 15 years and it has really gotten worse the last few years. Lots of housing going up on the hills, destruction of habitat and bike and hiking trails, gang members moving in as people move here from the SF Valley and bring the problems here, crime going up and etc. Drugs becoming a problem as well. It has been my city of choice for a long time and it was always on the safest city in the nation top 10 list until 2005. Now not even in the top 20. There are alot of multi-family issues coming up and because of illegal additions there has been fires here and even some deaths due to faulty wiring, illegal garage conversions and etc. Also, even though building has been going up like crazy there has been no street widening going on and the freeways are a mess right now and it takes 30-45 minutes to go 13 miles (from Simi to Thousand Oaks). I live right next to Wood Ranch and do my grocery shopping there and etc. The prices are very high for housing so I really recommend lots of price comparisons. Please, don't get the wrong idea because I have enjoyed Simi for many years but now I am getting ready to move on (very reluctantly) and look somewhere else to try and find that old Simi spirit. I wish you lots of luck.
where did you end up moving? I am going to be moving to Simi Valley probably the Wood Rance area and I am also reluctant (a little) probably just scared of change. I grew up in Moorpark, Ca and have lived in Franklin Tn for the past 15 years had my kids here age 13 and 10 real safe area but I want to move back with my family

Old 03-30-2008, 11:09 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,979,801 times
It's my opinion that the 118 is rarely, if ever, a nightmare.
That's reserved for the 101 and 405. Also, I haven't seen
the 23 backed up since they widened it. I think your fine
for freeways. Wood Ranch is nice. It's in Simi Valley but
right on the border with Thousand Oaks. It's like its own
little town. It seems very peaceful and civilized. Like
someone else said there's always people out walking, running,
biking. Everyone looks happy like they're enjoying their
surroundings. I wonder if it's possible to go to TO or
Moorpark High Schools from there?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
It's like its own
little town. It seems very peaceful and civilized.
I just posted this on Wood Ranch

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3300226-post2.html

and I'll add the only thing I'd ever be concerned about are the commute as it is an extra freeway leg away from anything and maybe schools...not sure what the school serving Wood Ranch are. As mentioned above the 23 is done and they're widening the 118 in eastern Simi so commuting should be getting easier in general from Simi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County