U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-05-2012, 07:00 AM

58 posts, read 79,918 times
Well, we make about $85,000 combined and we definitely can't shop it up or go to nice restaurants really. I don't want to burst your bubble, but just so you can plan. Also, if you are buying in that price range the house you purchase might need a lot of work. I bought a house for under $200,000 four years ago and totally renovated it. Now I am looking at new homes, and the ones in the $250k range still needed work. Would you be open to living in Oxnard? I have been all over in our search and found we could get more for the money in Oxnard versus Ventura or Camarillo. Or, there are many condos in that range but then the HOA fees can be quite high.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,078,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden gal View Post
Well, we make about $85,000 combined and we definitely can't shop it up or go to nice restaurants really. I don't want to burst your bubble, but just so you can plan. Also, if you are buying in that price range the house you purchase might need a lot of work. I bought a house for under $200,000 four years ago and totally renovated it. Now I am looking at new homes, and the ones in the $250k range still needed work. Would you be open to living in Oxnard? I have been all over in our search and found we could get more for the money in Oxnard versus Ventura or Camarillo. Or, there are many condos in that range but then the HOA fees can be quite high.
I have no debt (no college debt) and nor does my girlfriend (soon to be fiance), and no I will not live in Oxnard. I lived in Oxnard before and never again.

The job in that area I would be working for a good company, and would be making the $70,000 and also commission. Girlfriend would be working until we had kids and don't plan to have kids until I'm 30. But since I graduate in a year and a half I would like to buy a home in 2 yrs when prices are still low. My family has experience in dealing with real estate. In fact, we just recently sold homes in the Conejo Valley.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Here are some homes I found:

5276 Primrose Dr, Ventura, CA 93001 - Zillow

131 Ottawa St, Ventura, CA 93001 MLS# 11016641 - Zillow

1272 Arrowhead Ave, Ventura, CA 93004 MLS# 11003623 - Zillow

Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
jw2

1,010 posts, read 808,745 times
Those are not great locations. If I had to choose among those, I would pick the Arrowhead location.

The other two are in the area called "The Avenues". Basically, anything long Ventura Avenue. While there are OK pockets, in general just not a great area. The ones you selected are really north of anything to do

Far better are the hillsides above downtown (expensive), downtown (not good for families but close to everything), and midtown (good for families)

Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 PM

OP, just so you know realtor.com has more accurate listings than zillow. I fell in love with several listings on zillow only to find out they were inaccurate in price, already sold, etc. Also, we have no debt other than mortgage either, but what I was trying to convey is that life is expensive. As you said, you can get by on $70,000 in VC but I tell you I was just in that boat a year ot two ago and it can be tough. If you are buying a lower priced home it can often require a serious money in upkeep, fixing, plumbing, roofing, etc. That said I recently looked at some pretty condos in Ventura in Seneca Gardens. It is an area above Stanley, but up a big hill (by Vista Del Mar hospital). It is off the avenue, but I would live there as it is more secluded. Katari was one of the street names. They were all over $300,000 and one had to qualify as having a low enough income to buy one. Worth checking out though. Are you planning to buy in 2 years or now? I wasn't clear.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
OP, just so you know realtor.com has more accurate listings than zillow. I fell in love with several listings on zillow only to find out they were inaccurate in price, already sold, etc. Also, we have no debt other than mortgage either, but what I was trying to convey is that life is expensive. As you said, you can get by on $70,000 in VC but I tell you I was just in that boat a year ot two ago and it can be tough. If you are buying a lower priced home it can often require a serious money in upkeep, fixing, plumbing, roofing, etc. That said I recently looked at some pretty condos in Ventura in Seneca Gardens. It is an area above Stanley, but up a big hill (by Vista Del Mar hospital). It is off the avenue, but I would live there as it is more secluded. Katari was one of the street names. They were all over $300,000 and one had to qualify as having a low enough income to buy one. Worth checking out though. Are you planning to buy in 2 years or now? I wasn't clear.
Looking to buy in 2 yrs. Also, the job in Oxnard would be very well paid and depending how good I do in the company I could make a little more than $70,000. 3 members of my extended family work for the company.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM

My 2 options are San Luis Obispo or Ventura County. If I were to stay in San Luis Obispo, then I would need my wife to work also to have that extra income to afford a home.

In Ventura County, I think I could get a less expensive home and give my wife the option to not work.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:50 PM

I feel like SLO is one of the best places on Earth. One day I would love to sell high in VC and then move to SLO. The grass is always greener right...?

Old 06-06-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I feel like SLO is one of the best places on Earth. One day I would love to sell high in VC and then move to SLO. The grass is always greener right...?
San Luis Obispo (46,000 population)has a large college, Costco, natural food markets (Whole Foods and New Frontier's and Trader Joes) a college vibe downtown, good schools, low crime, lots of hiking, and lots of parks.

CONS: high housing cost, less shopping and dining, less job opportunities

Ventura (105,000 population)has a higher end shopping mall, nearby Costo in Oxnard, natural food markets (Lassen's and two Trader Joes), a beachy soCal downtown, the beach, good schools, low crime, and lots of parks.

CONS: more traffic, more crime (comes with more population)

Take your pick I guess. I prefer Ventura County. The job down there pays more and there is more shopping and dining options (malls, more big box centers, more stores downtown, etc...) and housing is more affordable.

Access to affordable housing, lots of shopping and dining options especially for nice clothes and electronics, natural food markes, good schools, lots of parks, low crime, and outdoor activities are all important to me. Ventura meets all that.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:16 PM

After talking to several people, it would appear it would be smart to have a wife that works and makes a reasonable income.

I have two job possibilities in Ventura County. One of them would make more money, but I think I would prefer doing the job I like even if I make less money. My yearly income would be $55,000 for the job I like and the job I don't like as much makes would around $70,000, so I would need my fiance to make $45,000 in order for our combined gross income to be $100,000. The $55,000 job is also a government job, so I would get some good benefits.

I am still considering too if I will want to be in Camarillo or Ventura. I hear housing is a bit cheaper inland in Camarillo.

Regarding, Ventura High and Camarillo High, how do the 2 high schools compare?

Last edited by the city; 06-13-2012 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County