Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,572 times

Advertisements

A friend is considering filing a lawsuit against the county for relief from ridiculously high tax bills based upon insanely high assessments on personal property. Also considering other grass roots efforts to make change. The County has absolute control and NO expertise on assessing the value of our personal property and often times is completely out of the ball park to the county's benefit of course. Not to mention the conflict of interest because it is to the benefit of the County to assess ridiculously high so that it receives a higher tax!! There is NO reasonable due process to challenge the assessors insane asessments. We have many accounts of the county assessing personal property at 5 to 100 times more than the worth.

Any one else out there have a similar problem? Are you sick of this too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,258,736 times
I don't believe any of your post but I will start with:
Name one property that is assessed 100 times its worth

Old 06-04-2012, 06:59 PM

58 posts, read 189,956 times
Hmmmm... I think my taxes have been low here. They are much lower than the property taxes my inlaws pay in Ohio. I don't own a very high end home though.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 AM

76 posts, read 243,794 times
I think the property taxes are VERY reasonable in California. 1% of the purchase price...that is a no brainer! In Colorado there is a Mill Levy and taxes are based on that Levy and swing wildly each assessment period, and there is no cap to the amount it can be raised each assessment period. I will take CA's prop tax structure any day!!!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:04 AM

50,155 posts, read 46,811,218 times
I guess it depends on when you bought. If you bought in 2006 you probably have some serious taxes, especially if you haven't been re-assessed. That may be where the OP is getting hosed. What exactly do they base the re-assessment on.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:03 PM

Current market value on the re-assessment...Then when the market comes back up it cannot go back above the original market price. Too bad so sad if someone bought in 2006...the purchaser knew the cost of property taxes based on purchase price.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM

link for re-eval on prop tax....Ventura County Assessor - Decline in Value

Old 06-05-2012, 05:00 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker View Post
Current market value on the re-assessment...Then when the market comes back up it cannot go back above the original market price. Too bad so sad if someone bought in 2006...the purchaser knew the cost of property taxes based on purchase price.
When the market comes back the assessed value caps out at the fair market at time of transfer PLUS the annual 2% inflation factor...

Of course... improvements could also trigger reassessment.

The problem is Assessors, at least the one in my county has been very slow to act and has a policy of dragging out formal appeals the statute allowed 24 months... this is what is too bad and so sad.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
I paid $310,000 and the County reassessed it to $310,000. It had been set at $346,000 at the time I bought the home. They were quick about taking care of it and I didn't have any problems getting them to take care of business. Not sure what the OP is talking about at all. As far as I know the assessors go on what other places have sold in the area. When I told them I had paid $310,000 they did ask if I had purchased a forclosure home, which I had. They did tell me that the value of the home may be more than the price I paid. After a couple weeks they told me that they would go with the $310,000. I guess if they would have assesed it at $340,000 I could figure I have more equity? LOL About the only thing that would get me is a bottled water from my own fridge. LOL Anyway, I am happy with the current assesment and see no need to make any changes in how things are done at this time. Sorry TooMuchTax.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:29 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
Companies similar problems with personal or business property taxes...

The local Hospital had a very costly medical laser that was assessed based on the price paid... so far so good.

The problem is a new technology has replaced and surpassed the ability of the old laser... so the $250,000 laser is now basically worthless as a medical instrument... yet the county still had it valued around 250k which is about 50 times what it is now worth...

You are right... the county assessor has little experience on the value of medical lasers so the burden falls entirely on the taxpayer to prove...

On a side note... I had for years paid a personal property tax for a Sears Free Standing Gas range in the home I bought... it was a line item on my Tax Bill.

After calling the Assessor to question why I was the only one paying a tax for a gas stove that I knew AND I don't even own a Sears Gas range because the one that came with the House when I bought it was tossed because the glass oven door was cracked...

I asked for the Asssessor to send someone out to inspect and I got a call saying they had decided to remove it from my Alameda County Home Property Tax Bill... this was in the 80's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County