U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM

191 posts, read 493,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have only worked in Ventura County. The fact is that I have never commuted more than 15 minutes each way in my life. Lucky me I guess. I for one like that fact. More time to spend with the kids.
Lucky for sure. Fact is, there aren't enough good paying jobs in Ventura County to support the number of residents, much less home ownership.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 11:19 PM

2,767 posts, read 9,347,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Hey, you leave Simi Valley out of it! LOL! Come on, now, be fair. You KNOW that Simi Valley isn't ugly or noisy, nor do they have any problem with traffic, except on the 118 during the work week when people from OUTSIDE Simi are using it
Hehe, kidding for the most part. I lived in Simi Valley for a while. Love the Knolls and hiking at Rocky Peak.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:12 AM

14,827 posts, read 23,615,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
Lucky for sure. Fact is, there aren't enough good paying jobs in Ventura County to support the number of residents, much less home ownership.
Maybe so. Then again with the current unemployment rate in the state I am not sure this is limited to Ventura County. Still many jobs within the area are not being filled because the right education and background of the applicant is not available. I recently was called into interview with a company that wanted me for one reason, I have an MBA. Granted I am not actively looking for a job because I love what I do now, still it was interesting to see what they have to offer and now I am even considering leaving my current employer to work in another industry. LOL

As far as homeownership, we are in a differant world now. I haven't seen prices this low for a long time. We are now an affordable place to live if you ask me. Lots of deals to be had out there. Sure I am not talking living on the beach, but in town is now more affordable than ever.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Maybe so. Then again with the current unemployment rate in the state I am not sure this is limited to Ventura County.
Point. Still, traffic continues to mount away from Ventura County in the mornings, and back into Ventura County in the evenings.

As an example, the largest city in Ventura, Oxnard, shows the following:

Quote:
Daytime population change due to commuting: -20,393 (-12.0%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 26,145 (37.7%)
And that -12% is NET change - meaning if one $100k earner leaves Oxnard for her job in SFV and one $30k earner comes in for an agriculture job, that's no net change.

Quote:
Still many jobs within the area are not being filled because the right education and background of the applicant is not available. I recently was called into interview with a company that wanted me for one reason, I have an MBA.
I realize your anecdote lines up with your reality, but the fact is, Ventura can't sustain itself on its own. The "tech coast" job hub concept never materialized in substance.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:58 AM

587 posts, read 1,157,607 times
Did they ever clean up Thompson Blvd? Is it still grimey?

Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
We are now an affordable place to live if you ask me. Lots of deals to be had out there. Sure I am not talking living on the beach, but in town is now more affordable than ever.
Can the median household afford the median priced home?
Is it roughly the same or less expense to buy than it is to rent (on a monthly basis, assuming a reasonable downpayment)?

If the answer to both of these is "yes", then I agree with you.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 PM

14,827 posts, read 23,615,910 times
It is cheaper to buy a comparable home than it is to rent one.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:20 PM

700 posts, read 1,007,422 times
Quote:
It is cheaper to buy a comparable home than it is to rent one.
My experience in watching the rentals is the asking rents are falling, at least on the margins.

Example - a remodeled 3br place (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/2135137904.html - broken link) above Foothill near the college, asking $2200/month. Ocean view too.

Another one (http://ventura.craigslist.org/apa/2157715580.html - broken link) in the college area -- $2100 / month.

These numbers suggest a loan amount in the $400k range (at 4.85% 30-yr fixed; the issue is a downpayment to justify a $500k home.

But there are precious few remodeled homes in the foothills asking $450-500k. The ones we've looked at need quite a bit of work to match the rental spec.

In short, prices have certainly compressed, but not to the historical relationship with renting. Renting should be a premium vs. ownership, not the other way around.

That said, we're in escrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County