Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 AM

123 posts, read 345,232 times

Advertisements

So, I'm trying to do some preliminary research on a couple areas for possible relocation. Port Hueneme, CA is one of our options. We currently live in New England but prior lived in Long Beach, CA for 7 years.

What I really enjoyed Long Beach: more affordable housing, less traffic & was more laid bay then LA. I loved that our neighborhood was very diverse including LBGT families, near the water with fairly nice beaches, plenty of dining/shopping/farmers market/community activities/entertainment (loved 2nd street,) Local 4 year University (CSULB) & Community College, proximity to the Home Depot Center for Professional sports. Also responsible drive to LA for all of the larger city amenities. School systems were a mix and I know they had some good public and privates school but, we were not following them closely at the time.

Before anyone goes one about how it is not going to be Long Beach and I should embrace the new area. I realize it will be different. But, I also would like to relocate to a area that offers a life style & amenities that our family will enjoy. Please only Constructive feed back needed.

We are willing to deal with a 20-40 minute commute time.

So, are there any diverse areas that will be welcoming for LBGT families? I don't want to be the only gay family in the neighborhood or at the school. (I know that there is a large military family presents and I really have no idea how that impacts the LBGT community/family support/welcoming in the area.)
Towns with some walk-able areas for dining/shopping/farmers market, within 20-30 minutes of beaches and larger cities??
Anyplace with community activities, sports, entertainment for both families & adults? Good public schools or secular private schools...??

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:22 AM

58 posts, read 190,285 times
Ventura would be a 20 min commute and would probably be more LBGT friendly than Port Hueneme. Also, Ojai is a 40 min commute and is a very open and friendly community and hardly anyone would bat an eyelash at a LGBT family. Ojai is walkable or bike able and parts of Ventura are walkable/bike able. Ojai is hotter and is a valley surrounded by mountains. It is beautiful. Ventura is of course a beach city. Both places have great farmers' markets. I work in Port Hueneme, and for me it would not be a first choice for a LGBT family to be happy living there, but others may have more insight.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:50 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,411 times
Ventura answers most, if not all, of your criteria - particularly welcoming LGBT families.

I'd look in Downtown or midtown, steer clear of the east end.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:47 PM

15 posts, read 58,831 times
Ventura would be more suitable than Port Hueneme. Also, realize that Ventura and Long Beach are far from similar. I know you already stated you were aware of this, however, I thought I'd point out a few things.
Long Beach has a population of over 500,000 and is the largest city in LA county aside from Los Angeles. It has a large University, is very diverse, tons of nightlife, and near professional sports teams.
Ventura has a population of 100,000. No large University near by, not all that diverse, not much nightlife, and the only sports teams are over an hour away in Los Angeles. (maybe longer with traffic)
Don't get me wrong, Ventura is a nice area and matches some of your needs (close to the beach) but it is more different than similar to Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County