U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM
 
700 posts, read 1,007,843 times
Reputation: 185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Still the need for a Mello-Roos was not needed.

They built two schools, roads and infrastructure to support the projected build out. How do you propose all this gets funded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-05-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
14,830 posts, read 23,627,081 times
Reputation: 18404
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
They built two schools, roads and infrastructure to support the projected build out. How do you propose all this gets funded?
Yes they did that at RiverPark. Not at other parts of Oxnard that have been developed. My post was talking about other developments that were built in Oxnard and did not have the need for a Mello-Roos. In those other developments they were more of completing the patchwork of former developments and the infrastructure was there allready. Not so at RiverPark where the development was further away from anything at the time. Unless you consider El Rio, hardly a community that could support RiverPark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
 
700 posts, read 1,007,843 times
Reputation: 185
Ahh - I misread your comment to mean "RiverPark didn't need Mello-Roos."

Still, I disagree with your contention that the smaller developments didn't need Mello-Roos.

CFD assessments should be completely transparent as to the target of the bond funds. Many times it's new or rehab'd parks, sewer connectivity, roads, bridges, or expansion of roads, to support the influx of people. Sometimes when "the infrastructure is there already" it was built with an expectation of new developments and the CFD money is paying off that project. It's very, very common. I've seen major through-ways built 3-5 years in advance of a development paid off via Mello-Roos/CFD monies that are levied once the stucco boxes are finally stood up and sold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
14,830 posts, read 23,627,081 times
Reputation: 18404
Not sure how it all works. I do know in Oxnard some developments were in place years ago and newer developments went in across the street lets say from the older places. For example at the corner of Oxnard Blvd and Gonzales Road the North West corner was developed as a supermarket, strip mall back in the late 60's early 70's. (Not sure on the date.) The South West corner was also developed around that same time frame. The North East and South East corner were vacant untill 2000 when a strip mall went in on the North East corner, a High School went in not too far from the South East corner followed by a housing tract. In the 70's you would have never built homes there because it was too close to Colonia. The fact is that this newer housing tract buts up against Colonia. If your not familiar with Colonia it is mostly low income housing that farm workers would live in. Also the Colonia Chices Gang was in control of the area for decades. Things have changed and the land around Colonia was developed. Roads, schools, parks, and shopping have been there for decades. In fact all was in before Prop 13 or the reason that we even have Mello-Roos in the first place. Chances are that is why the city of Oxnard can get away with new developments without the need for a Mello-Roos. I am in no way an expert on all this stuff, just giving my observations. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-05-2010, 03:14 PM
 
700 posts, read 1,007,843 times
Reputation: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not sure how it all works. I do know in Oxnard some developments were in place years ago and newer developments went in across the street lets say from the older places. For example at the corner of Oxnard Blvd and Gonzales Road the North West corner was developed as a supermarket, strip mall back in the late 60's early 70's. (Not sure on the date.) The South West corner was also developed around that same time frame. The North East and South East corner were vacant untill 2000 when a strip mall went in on the North East corner, a High School went in not too far from the South East corner followed by a housing tract. In the 70's you would have never built homes there because it was too close to Colonia. The fact is that this newer housing tract buts up against Colonia. If your not familiar with Colonia it is mostly low income housing that farm workers would live in. Also the Colonia Chices Gang was in control of the area for decades. Things have changed and the land around Colonia was developed. Roads, schools, parks, and shopping have been there for decades. In fact all was in before Prop 13 or the reason that we even have Mello-Roos in the first place. Chances are that is why the city of Oxnard can get away with new developments without the need for a Mello-Roos. I am in no way an expert on all this stuff, just giving my observations. LOL
My statement is that if there are Mello Roos, there is a reason for them, and the reason is given up front before a buyer signs on the dotted line. If the buyer isn't clear on what the CFD assessments are for, they should probably not be buying a house as they are committing to a monthly expense!

Perhaps we're saying the same thing in different ways.

I once owned a brand new home that had no Mello Roos. it was built as part of a small enclave of 20 homes. The homes were built on a site that was intended to be a church, but the church grew beyond the dirt before they broke ground. Hence, the homes were "tucked in" with the existing infrastructure.

There are very few exceptions like these, but for the most part, new homes = extra property taxes. The upside is convenient+modern infrastructure (parks, schools, walkways/trails).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Oxnard, CA
1,552 posts, read 3,303,684 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
My statement is that if there are Mello Roos, there is a reason for them, and the reason is given up front before a buyer signs on the dotted line. If the buyer isn't clear on what the CFD assessments are for, they should probably not be buying a house as they are committing to a monthly expense!

Perhaps we're saying the same thing in different ways.

I once owned a brand new home that had no Mello Roos. it was built as part of a small enclave of 20 homes. The homes were built on a site that was intended to be a church, but the church grew beyond the dirt before they broke ground. Hence, the homes were "tucked in" with the existing infrastructure.

There are very few exceptions like these, but for the most part, new homes = extra property taxes. The upside is convenient+modern infrastructure (parks, schools, walkways/trails).
I agree..I live in Riverpark and before I purchased, all of this information was clearly displayed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
 
8 posts, read 13,019 times
Reputation: 14
Does anyone have any update when the shopping center is supposed to be done? I drove past and saw a sign that said Whole Foods is coming late 2011. Is that the new date? I'm most interested in REI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Oxnard, CA
1,552 posts, read 3,303,684 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCNative View Post
Does anyone have any update when the shopping center is supposed to be done? I drove past and saw a sign that said Whole Foods is coming late 2011. Is that the new date? I'm most interested in REI.
That's the current date I am hearing as well..there has been some work over there so things are looking promising!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Oxnard, CA
1,552 posts, read 3,303,684 times
Reputation: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCNative View Post
Does anyone have any update when the shopping center is supposed to be done? I drove past and saw a sign that said Whole Foods is coming late 2011. Is that the new date? I'm most interested in REI.
Have you noticed they started building the Target store.....I am already excited but I want Whole Foods to appear first...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Shallow alcove hidden from the telescreen
2,767 posts, read 9,349,750 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
Have you noticed they started building the Target store.....I am already excited but I want Whole Foods to appear first...lol!
From what I hear, Target basically saved the day. Earlier this year word on the street was that the Whole Foods developer was dangerously close to default.

Saw an article in the paper that Food 4 Less might move into the old Target location. Also hear murmuring of speculation to build a high-rise at the current Food 4 Less, but I cannot see how the current economic state of commercial development could possibly justify that. Then again, I'm no expert and a lot of this comes out of the rumor mill, so....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top