U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:24 AM

14,597 posts, read 23,095,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
That's often the mindset in Riverpark and in the snobbier burbs outside of Oxnard. Even though it was Oxnard that made Riverpark possible in the first place.
Oxnard made Camarillo as well. In my 50 years here I can not count all the people that used to live in Oxnard that now live in Camarillo and look down upon the area that they used to call home. Funny to see someone that you know lived in Oxnard and maybe even grewup in Oxnard but they act as if they have never stepped foot in the city of Oxnard before.

I also know a few families that live in Oxnard that happen to have lots of friends in Camarillo and talk as though they are stuck in Oxnard for now and will someday make the move to Camarillo. These people seem to be even more snobbier than those living in Camarillo.

Look I have friends in Camarillo. I have friends in Oxnard. I know people that have lived in both. I get that. I get that people have this idea that they are improving their life if they move to Camarillo. Still, are not these people the same people that they were when they lived in Oxnard? I have known people in years past that have looked down on people from Oxnard and some of them are these same people that used to live in Oxnard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM

109 posts, read 128,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Oxnard made Camarillo as well. In my 50 years here I can not count all the people that used to live in Oxnard that now live in Camarillo and look down upon the area that they used to call home. Funny to see someone that you know lived in Oxnard and maybe even grewup in Oxnard but they act as if they have never stepped foot in the city of Oxnard before.

I also know a few families that live in Oxnard that happen to have lots of friends in Camarillo and talk as though they are stuck in Oxnard for now and will someday make the move to Camarillo. These people seem to be even more snobbier than those living in Camarillo.

Look I have friends in Camarillo. I have friends in Oxnard. I know people that have lived in both. I get that. I get that people have this idea that they are improving their life if they move to Camarillo. Still, are not these people the same people that they were when they lived in Oxnard? I have known people in years past that have looked down on people from Oxnard and some of them are these same people that used to live in Oxnard.

I have a simple question that maybe you can answer. Why do you believe people may feel that they're improving if they move out of Oxnard into a more "upscale" city? I personally don't feel that way.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:12 PM

183 posts, read 210,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwhite75 View Post
I have a simple question that maybe you can answer. Why do you believe people may feel that they're improving if they move out of Oxnard into a more "upscale" city? I personally don't feel that way.
Less crime and better schools. Even if Oxnard has improved in the crime area it still has a bad reputation.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:06 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 2,172,063 times
Homicides 2015 Ventura County, as of 09/07/2015

Oxnard 9
Pt Hueneme 2
El Rio 1
Simi Valley 1
Ventura 1

Old 09-07-2015, 11:07 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,260,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxnardNative View Post
Less crime and better schools. Even if Oxnard has improved in the crime area it still has a bad reputation.
Reputations are difficult to shake, my mother used to always tell us kids. But Oxnard's crime is reputation, only. Actual numbers (per 100,000) show that Oxnard is as safe as any other city in the area, even Santa Barbara -- where violent crime is twice that of Oxnard.

Gang issues are a factor in Oxnard, but that's true of Thousand Oaks, Camarillo, Ventura and in Santa Barbara County. Oxnard has had two gang injunctions in place for over ten years, which has curbed gang crimes in the city, as well as provided avenues for gang members to get out, or to avoid gangs altogether. Ventura and Santa Barbara city have looked to Oxnard's program as a model for their cities, but to my knowledge, neither Ventura nor Santa Barbara have "dared" put injunctions into affect, particularly Santa Barbara. It took that city a long time to admit it had a gang problem. Big and fatal brawls on State Street, Haley and Ledbetter Beach finally got them to face up. SB no longer blames Lompoc/Santa Maria and Ventura County for its gang problem.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:44 PM

I've only actually seen gang activity in Oxnard once, and that was back in 2001. Two groups of about 4 to 5 teens were standing on opposite sides of Rose Ave and Gonzales, throwing up gang signs back and forth to each other.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 AM

36 posts, read 32,490 times
Riverpark to me has the feeling of a middle class projects. I guess that's what happens when homebuilding regulations and permits become so onerous that only corporations can afford to do it.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubing View Post
Riverpark to me has the feeling of a middle class projects. I guess that's what happens when homebuilding regulations and permits become so onerous that only corporations can afford to do it.
RiverPark is built just like neighborhoods are in major cities with alleys, connected townhomes/condos and single family homes. It doesn't have the typical suburban feel to it, which some like and some don't like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County