U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM

14,599 posts, read 23,102,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Please tell me the exact street location of the low income housing in the Dos Vientos ranch development. If it's not there, could you specifically tell me when that low income housing will be built.

Thanks!
I never said that an area had to build low income dwellings. What I did say was that a builder is required to either provide low income units or pay a fee that will be used to build low income units somewhere in the city. During the past few years the cities in Ventura County were trying to work a plan so that the funds for low income housing could be used together either on county land or in a city within the county that would offer to have the homes within that city. Also let me qualify the low income part. For River Ridge it is the homes that are selling for $265,000 range. You can look them up on the River Ridge site. I am not saying that a builder has to build homes for welfare families, section 8 rentals, or anything like that. These homes are for people that have jobs, although the jobs may be within the $50,000 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM

2,766 posts, read 9,260,320 times
Quote:
I guess it depends upon what your definition of "neighbors" are.

My definition of neighbors are cities and areas in Ventura County, such as Ventura (break that down into East vs. West), Camarillo, Santa Paula, Thousand Oaks, Fillmore, and Simi Valley. I think pretty much all of these areas are going to be safer, more or much more, than Oxnard.

Oh, by the way, here's more real time data from Ventura County Star on crime happening now (http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/crime/ - broken link). Looks like Oxnard couldn't wait to be first for the first murder in the county. Oxnard sure looks safe, yeah.
You know, it's a popular sport to be negative about Oxnard. Once incident in one of the roughest neighborhoods does not tarnish the whole city. Give me a break! It's a big city -- twice the size of Ventura -- and like Ventura, not without problems. But overall Oxnard is a safe place! You could live a lifetime in Oxnard and not be directly affected by the problems in Colonia or Southwinds. Thankfully, though, the city is actively and aggressively dealing with the issues in those neighborhoods.

It's also fairly well known that the Ventura County Star has a negative bias about Oxnard. As an example, the VC Star reported one year that hate crimes in Oxnard doubled while they decreased by nearly 50% in Ventura. The true numbers? Hate crimes in Ventura went from 9 incidents to 5 -- a drop of nearly 50%. In Oxnard they doubled -- from 1 to 2! Now if that's not a negative bias, I don't know what is. The VC Star does things like this often. That paper -- or any paper for that matter -- is hardly a barometer for what Oxnard is really like for living, working and doing business.

Bottom line, Oxnard is a good place and no less safe than any other area on the coast.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:33 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,413,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
You know, it's a popular sport to be negative about Oxnard. Once incident in one of the roughest neighborhoods does not tarnish the whole city. Give me a break!
I don't hate Oxnard. In fact, what I wish was more people would actually pull their head out of the sand and actually admit there's a problem. It's only then when the problem can be addressed and corrected, thus making Oxnard a better place. But as long as people ignore hard statistics and insist everything is fine when it is not, then nothing will ever get accomplished.

However, after reading this thread about how supposedly safe Oxnard is, despite my own personal experiences and after reading for myself all the statistics I've posted links to, I felt like I wanted to present an alternative viewpoint to some of the information I've been reading. After all, isn't that the point of City Data? I'm still waiting to hear about how the information I presented was factually incorrect. Especially the Oxnard police blotter report.

You mention check your facts. Did you actually look at the facts I've presented in previous posts? BTW, here are some more facts. Comparisons of crime rates between Oxnard and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed,
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed,
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed,
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. Pay particular attention to the violent crimes. Again, if these statistics are incorrect, then please cite links to sources which prove this wrong. Not some crappy statistic where someone assigns some arbitrary single number to a city.

Quote:
It's a big city -- twice the size of Ventura -- and like Ventura, not without problems. But overall Oxnard is a safe place! You could live a lifetime in Oxnard and not be directly affected by the problems in Colonia or Southwinds.
Not only was I and apparently others affected when living in Oxnard, other cities have to occasionally arrest Oxnard citizens also. If you actually look at the links I've just posted, Oxnard is not twice the size, and certainly not that much larger than Santa Clarita (8% larger) or Thousand Oaks; therefore, size certainly is not directly correlated to crime. Don't bother to mention these stats were 2006, Oxnard's population has not exploded in one or two years. If so, prove it.

Quote:
It's also fairly well known that the Ventura County Star has a negative bias about Oxnard.
Did you actually look at one of the links I've posted? It's to the Oxnard Police crime blotter.

Also, I'm tired of these ad hominem arguments I get all the time in City Data. OK, are you saying the murder in Oxnard did not take place? You better tell the Star about their erroneous reporting, then. Are all the murders reported wrong? Prove it.

Quote:
Bottom line, Oxnard is a good place and no less safe than any other area on the coast.
If you say so.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 PM

2,766 posts, read 9,260,320 times
Quote:
I don't hate Oxnard. In fact, what I wish was more people would actually pull their head out of the sand and actually admit there's a problem. It's only then when the problem can be addressed and corrected, thus making Oxnard a better place. But as long as people ignore hard statistics and insist everything is fine when it is not, then nothing will ever get accomplished.

However, after reading this thread about how supposedly safe Oxnard is, despite my own personal experiences and after reading for myself all the statistics I've posted links to, I felt like I wanted to present an alternative viewpoint to some of the information I've been reading. After all, isn't that the point of City Data? I'm still waiting to hear about how the information I presented was factually incorrect. Especially the Oxnard police blotter report.

You mention check your facts. Did you actually look at the facts I've presented in previous posts? BTW, here are some more facts. Comparisons of crime rates between Oxnard and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed, Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. Pay particular attention to the violent crimes. Again, if these statistics are incorrect, then please cite links to sources which prove this wrong. Not some crappy statistic where someone assigns some arbitrary single number to a city.

Not only was I and apparently others affected when living in Oxnard, other cities have to occasionally arrest Oxnard citizens also. If you actually look at the links I've just posted, Oxnard is not twice the size, and certainly not that much larger than Santa Clarita (8% larger) or Thousand Oaks; therefore, size certainly is not directly correlated to crime. Don't bother to mention these stats were 2006, Oxnard's population has not exploded in one or two years. If so, prove it.

Did you actually look at one of the links I've posted? It's to the Oxnard Police crime blotter.

Also, I'm tired of these ad hominem arguments I get all the time in City Data. OK, are you saying the murder in Oxnard did not take place? You better tell the Star about their erroneous reporting, then. Are all the murders reported wrong? Prove it.

If you say so.
Oxnard: population 200,000. Ventura: 100,000. Is that not twice the size?

Oxnard is AGGRESSIVELY and ACTIVELY dealing with the problems in Colonia and Southwinds. How is this ignoring the problem?

As to the murder in Colonia, I never said it didn't happen. It happened, but that doesn't make the entire city unsafe or bad! There was a brutal murder in midtown Ventura -- a safe area -- on CHRISTMAS EVE! Does this make all of Ventura rotten? Come on! (At least Oxnard's murders don't happen in the safe parts of town. )

As to balancing the view on Oxnard, me and SOONTOBE are the ones primarily doing that. Bashing Oxnard is what you mostly read. The bashing is mostly out of ignorance. My very first post on C-D was a "balancing the view" post to counter all of the misnomers and patently false statements some people were posting. Oxnard is coming around in a big way, but some people just insist on being negative. (Not saying you, necessarily).

Yes, I've seen the police blotter and I read the VC Star. Nothing new to me there. But have you seen the statements from the Chief of Police? Or, maybe he's just making stuff up:

City Of Oxnard California | Oxnard Police Department

The Oxnard Chief of Police, fiction writer!

PS. Oxnard criminals arrested in neighboring cities. There was a band of graffiti vandals arrested in Oxnard last year. Guess where 3 of the 4 were from. Hint, not Oxnard: Ventura, Newbury Park and MALIBU! It happens in Oxnard, too.

PPS. Never said you hated Oxnard; said it's popular sport to pick on the city.

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:17 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 115,578 times
Originally Posted by jkbatca: "...such as Ventura (break that down into East vs. West)"... Why break Ventura down and not Oxnard to North vs South?

It's very well known that The Star is terribly biased against Oxnard. Ask almost any resident of Oxnard.

....Not only was I and apparently others affected when living in Oxnard.....

We've lived in Oxnard for 35 years and have not once been a victim of a crime in Oxnard. Our 2 grown children have never been victims of a crime in Oxnard. Can't think of any extended family members being victims either. Our vehicle was broken into in Ventura though, and my daughter's purse was stolen in a Camarillo shopping mall. Hmm.

There goes that Oxnard Chief of Police fibbing again. Shame on him! Next thing you'll hear Mayor Holden doing the same thing! How dare they!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnutButter View Post
We've lived in Oxnard for 35 years and have not once been a victim of a crime in Oxnard. Our 2 grown children have never been victims of a crime in Oxnard. Can't think of any extended family members being victims either. Our vehicle was broken into in Ventura though, and my daughter's purse was stolen in a Camarillo shopping mall. Hmm.
To be fair about it, property crime and other non-violent related crimes (vandalism) has been an almost universal constant around Ventura County. Looking at various Acorns (Camarillo, TO, Simi Valley) to see crime there. Seems like property crime has come and gone in waves, and right now we're in a pretty big property crime wave! Go figure!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM

jkbatca...I think it goes beyond property crime. I would expect crime (period) to be twice that in Oxnard as in Ventura due to the population being doubled (yes, Winston's correct). Oxnard has it's fair share of problems in the crime dept, but I believe the bulk of it is in concentrated areas of the city, just as it is in Ventura (and surrounding cities). Oxnard's crime is just pasted all over the STAR whereas surrounding cities seem to keep theirs to more private news sources (such as the Acorn, which I've always read as I have family in Camarillo).

I'm not saying Oxnard doesn't have all the same problems as cities her size; she does. I'm saying one can live a nice life in Oxnard, free of crime and safe. We've done it for over 35 years and so have many many others. Those that have been a citizen of Oxnard for 2-3 years (like those that have never been a citizen) are terribly quick to judge and throw stones.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:46 PM

14,599 posts, read 23,102,722 times
Thank you Pnutbutter for your comments on Oxnard. Is their crime in Oxnard? Sure their is. I am positive that every city or community has crime of some kind. Having lived in the Oxnard area my entire life, I have yet to become a victim of crime. I live in the North Side of Oxnard and seldom see much in the way of crime. Does it exist? We all know that it does. Is crime in Oxnard declining? My favorite Optomotrist thinks it is. Since he bacame Mayor of the city Crimes have declined. Programs that have been put into place have helped to lower the amount of crime in the city. We are not perfect but are doing better than many other places.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Well, it's great that some have lived in Oxnard without incident for whatever amount of years. My only concern is you cannot take one person's experience and then extrapolate that experience into saying "Oxnard is safe for everyone". There are many factors which determines how things go for an individual living in any given area.

Since we've read various experiences with living in Oxnard, some good and some bad, I personally like to see various statistics, of which I have previously posted, to verify that living in Oxnard is relatively crime free for everyone, not just a few. Crime is something that can be measured and compared (although not an exact science). I'm just going to say there's plenty of measurements to compare crime rates and that's what I go by to see how safe an area is ( Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed I like).

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:16 AM..

Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM

Yup jk, I've been to that crime data site many times too. Problem is the data's from 2006, three years old now. Oxnard's come a long way in 3 years...and so has Ventura.

Guess we'll just hafta agree to disagree on the quality of life in Oxnard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County