U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 28,821 times

Advertisements

It's nice to hear some positive comments from other Oxnard residents. I've lived in Riverpark for 2 1/2 years now, and while the building progress has slowed (understandably) I'm still looking forward to the day it is completed (and everyone starts to enjoy it instead of complaining about it). The residents of Riverpark take great pride in their community and it shows. I really don't know what it is that causes so many people to be so hateful and negative about Riverpark and the greater Oxnard area. So many of the comments I read on the Ventura County Star website are from posters who act like Riverpark is a complete hell-hole. I think it's a great community that makes a good use of the land and has great deals - I for one couldn't find a better house for the value anywhere in the county when I was house-hunting (and this was at the height of the market).

Go 'Nard lovers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 01:38 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,249,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnative80 View Post
It's nice to hear some positive comments from other Oxnard residents. I've lived in Riverpark for 2 1/2 years now, and while the building progress has slowed (understandably) I'm still looking forward to the day it is completed (and everyone starts to enjoy it instead of complaining about it). The residents of Riverpark take great pride in their community and it shows. I really don't know what it is that causes so many people to be so hateful and negative about Riverpark and the greater Oxnard area. So many of the comments I read on the Ventura County Star website are from posters who act like Riverpark is a complete hell-hole. I think it's a great community that makes a good use of the land and has great deals - I for one couldn't find a better house for the value anywhere in the county when I was house-hunting (and this was at the height of the market).

Go 'Nard lovers!
I agree...I too am a Riverpark Rat! Love it here despite what people say, it's home to me!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 28,821 times
At a recent community meeting a representative from Shea Properties gave an update on the commercial development. It is still delayed until fall 2010, basically because they do not want to open the space until it is 50% leased. They are currently at something like 45%, so not too much further to go. The "Super Target" is still a go and the plan seems to be to close out out the older target by the Esplanade. I wish the development wasn't such a ghost town right now, but there are still homes being built (some have workers going overtime, weekends and late nights) so there must be some demand out there.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,416,103 times
I've heard that REI was supposed to move to Riverpark, Oxnard in 2009. When will REI open?

Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 AM

6 posts, read 43,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NardForLife View Post
I've lived in South Oxnard for more than 30 years and LOVE it here!
Crime has been VERY LOW here due to the ever present police force. I've never been a victim. Graffiti, a problem a very looonggg time ago, is near non existent, due to the aggressive Graffiti Task Force.
What I LOVE about Oxnard, is there is always construction or improvements going on EVERYWHERE! Even in this recession!
A fine example is Oxnard College, where I live nearby. I've seen this college grow thru the years. Now they are in full construction of an imposing Perfroming Arts Center! The beautiful College Park next door has a skateboard track and new basketball courts for the youths. A Fresh & Easy Market has just opened up across from the still quite new Walgreens on Channel Islands Blvd. (Another Fresh & Easy is planned for Gonzales Rd., as well as 2 other Walgreens thru out the city. Also a new CVS Pharmacy at Five Points is near completion!)
The city recently launched a Revitalization Project for the whole South Oxnard area and one can see this, like the isle improvements along Saviers Road. Downtown Oxnard looks great with the Plaza Cinemas 14 complex where I have seen many movies and observed how they have maintained this cinema like it just opened!
Now....for Oxnard Riverpark. I've driven thru here several times and seen it grow, albeit a bit slower. But construction DOES continue. The WholeFoods and Collection retail area may have to wait till late next year, but understandable due to the recession. But i remain VERY optimistic for Oxnard Riverpark home owners. Nearby at the Oxnard Auto Center, Mercedes Benz and Audi have just opened their new dealerships. This can only be a good thing! We have Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Walmart(being remodeled), Sam's Club, Costco's....all very convenient!
Oh let's not forget our beachfront communities like the new Seabridge area and Channel Island Wharf....picturesque and peaceful!
Now I can go on and on and on, but one thing I must mention is.......THE WEATHER!!! It's nearly 100 degrees everywhere in SoCal right now, but Oxnard remains one of the most pleasant retreats. I have been nearly everywhere in this great country of ours from New York, Florida, Texas, Washington...but I ALWAYS finding it so refreshing to be back home...awesome Oxnard. For life!!
Considering the location and the proximity to the freeway. This area is a tough area to beat for quality of living. When the rest of the nation is at near standstill with development of new homes, the River Park area of Oxnard is continuing to build new structures and is going full throttle building retail and shopping spaces. That speaks volumes of the money invested into this area by the developers. I have nothing but positive reactions on how the developer Standard Pacific has responded to fix problems with our house when we missed them on our final walk through.

The HOA is more proactive than what appears and to see the neighborhood grow has been extremely positive. This area is really the cash cow for Oxnard with the huge tax base coming from this master development. Home Depot and the nearby retail shops have been fairly brisk with business during this tough economy and that shows how much Oxnard has grown and continues to do so. On the other side of the river, Ventura, growth is slow to non-existent nonetheles access to the Pacific View mall only 10-15 minute drive. A resident of Oxnard at River Park can merely drive the US101 within a radius of 7 miles to the great outlets in Camarillo or the shops at the Esplanade and now the The new Collection all without having to travel too far from freeway access.

Driving to Santa Barbara for the weekend or to Los Angeles for a night on the town requires no longer than a 40 to 50 minute drive depending on exactly where you want to be. The drive to the long sandy beaches of Oxnard or Ventura are about 10 to 15 minutes away. If you want Malibu and famous places south, hop on Highway 1 (which begins right next to River Park) or take Rice Ave and you can see the beautiful stretches of beaches of BayWatch.

Yeah, you would be hard pressed to find a more agreeable climate and proximity to things around Southern California. Usually you have to give up one for the other. At River Park you sacrafice nothing. As far as gang bangers are concerned, have not heard anything of a sort in this area. Most these punks are found at the mall in Ventura or in other areas of Oxnard and Port Hueneme, not at River Park. Even so, the rate of crime does not compare to other areas of the same population size and density; not by a long shot.

RiverPig

Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
I've heard that REI was supposed to move to Riverpark, Oxnard in 2009. When will REI open?
I believe it will open by Nov 2010 at the latest.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoserInk View Post
I'm getting the hell out of Rivepark! Do not buy here, or even rent. This place is DOA. I bought a home there back in March 2007. The agent told us of this wonderful plan that Riverpark is. Movies, Shopping, Convention Center...blah blah blah. A place that you will never need to leave, because it will have it all. What the agent failed to mention is that in 2009 140 unit Low-Income housing project would be constructed in the Riverpark development. Bring on the Gang-Bangers and Drug Dealers. Bring on the Welfare Moms and 20 person Families. This is not what i signed on for. What was also not mentioned is how expensive your property taxes would be after re-assesment. Riverpark homeowners have to pay 1.9% instead of the 1% the rest of the city pays. Can you imagine having to cough up 10 - 15K a year? Ridiculous! The parks on the brochure and pictures are beautiful, families playing, kids running around, people jogging. Bull****! Go look at the parks in person. There are usualy 4 or 5 gang banger punks sitting on the kids playsets. Smokin', drinkin' and intimidating everyday folks. Go look on a Sunday morning after a Mexican group has has a party there. Trash all over the place, empty beer containers and pinata shreds. The school system in the area is all messed up too. I dont care that they have built brand new schools in Riverpark. They are still bussing Gang-Bangers kids to them. I am done with giving Oxnard a chance. Im moving back to East Ventura, where at least it's worth paying a little more to live a little safer.
East Ventura safer? Yeah, I lived in East Ventura and had my car egged several times living across from the Ralphs with its zombie like customers and lowlifes (not everybody is bad) but I had a far worse experience in this area with minor crimes than anywhere else I have lived with the exception of Carpinteria where we had our car broken into and new stereo system stolen. I thought a town of 10,000 people would be safe, far from it! The problems you are mentioning about River Park is pure fiction. I am an avid runner and walk my dogs every day around the whole area and have yet to see all these poser gang bangers you're talking about. What I see are a bunch of residents enjoying their neighborhood, walking their dogs, bicycling and jogging. I'd like to know exactly where this problem is occurring because I can help fix it.

RiverPig

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
That smell is from Ventura. It's a combination of a mushroom processing plant and Ventura's sewer treatment facility. A few years ago the neighborhood council for your area of town formed an air-quality committee to push the City of Oxnard to lean on Ventura about that. It helped for a while; it was part of the reason a green-waste recycling center moved away. (It used to be worse, if you can believe it.) If you care to get involved, you might let yourself be known to the NC: SouthBank Neighborhood Council.
I remember when the mushroom plant caught on fire. Talk about stink!

RiverPig

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 7,024 times
Default wow how long has it been sence you left the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashinthepan View Post
I would recommend that you NOT purchase a property in Riverpark. This seemingly pastoral place is not what it appears to be. The area borders El Rio and the problems of El Rio are becoming Riverpark's problems. The one park on the East Side is now filled with gangbangers and wannabe's from El Rio...anytime on the weekend it is full of bangers and you are not welcome there! There are gang houses in the neighborhood, and loud partying other idiocy is startng to rear its ugly head. The local HOA is ineffective and doesn't communicate well with others, and the Oxnard PD are a disinterested. Oh yeah, once you purchase, you can forget about ever getting any service from the builder (Hi, Centex!)- it is like you become invisible. Try finding parking on your street after 4 pm, and then you had better lock your car.
Yeah, the place looks nice, but who cares about looks if you are in it for the long haul, right? The place is slowly being eaten alive. What will happen when the build the high school in the area and every wannabe toughie and banger starts rolling through the neighborhood.
Funny thing is, this stuff is never mentioned in the sales brochures. Boy, don't we feel like suckers now.
thats funny I live in Riverpark and I never been bother by them you must just be afraid of Mexican o I see your a racist now I know why you feel the way you do

Old 02-02-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalnative80 View Post

Go 'Nard lovers!
Truth be told there are a lot of misinformed people out there. River Park has a lot going for it and some people either don't like it or fail to get it! The homes are excellent buys for the location bar none and this really is the time to buy for anybody interested in obtaining a home. A few years ago we almost bought a home in Fillmore for the same price as the one we bought in River Park, and I am so glad we changed our minds because of the commute and heat. You just can't beat the weather in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County