Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 48,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiklui View Post
thats funny I live in Riverpark and I never been bother by them you must just be afraid of Mexican o I see your a racist now I know why you feel the way you do
Yeah, apparently so. I mean what a bunch of garbage that person posted. I have never felt unsafe in this area of Oxnard. Even the El Rio side that is north of Vineyard is pretty safe much to the dismay of loyalists that think Ventura or Camarillo are safer or better. Hardly! I think the best thing for people to do is experience it for themselves and make their decisions on facts rather than made up stories. I love the north part of Oxnard, most everything is still relatively new and with the Town Center and Landing it will be difficult to find anywhere else where shopping is convenient and with a lot of choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:26 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Just wishing that they had more single family homes out there with bigger yards then the patio homes. Other than that we like the area. Our kids like the middle school.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,040,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverPig View Post
Yeah, apparently so. I mean what a bunch of garbage that person posted. I have never felt unsafe in this area of Oxnard. Even the El Rio side that is north of Vineyard is pretty safe much to the dismay of loyalists that think Ventura or Camarillo are safer or better. Hardly! I think the best thing for people to do is experience it for themselves and make their decisions on facts rather than made up stories. I love the north part of Oxnard, most everything is still relatively new and with the Town Center and Landing it will be difficult to find anywhere else where shopping is convenient and with a lot of choices.
Second these words. It's with great anticipation that I'm looking forward to the whole Wagon Wheel project, "The Village." That project and the City of Oxnard won an award for Visionary Planning and Livability by the So Cal Association of Governments. Oxnard is coming around in a big way. Could also say, "a tall way."

Daly Group Inc. | Home

Old 03-30-2010, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 32,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Just wishing that they had more single family homes out there with bigger yards then the patio homes. Other than that we like the area. Our kids like the middle school.
Keep checking back. I heard a rumor that one of the plans Shea homes was originally intending to be 3 story condo/townhomes was going to be changed to single family homes (out in the furthest area of Riverpark). There is still so much of RiverPark that has not been developed, and I think the builders are watching very carefully to see what will sell and what won't. There are a great deal of townhome type places being built now, but I wouldn't take it for granted that is what the entire community will be.

On a side note, it is a drag waiting for the retail center to be completed, I think I can see the cobwebs growing as we speak. I understand they can't open or finish it until it is at least 50% leased, but us Riverpark residents are dying to go shopping!

Oh and I have NEVER ONCE felt unsafe in nearly 3 years I have lived here!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,364 times
We bought a townhome in Riverpark a year ago and have been pretty happy here until recently. Our biggest complaint is the parking situation or lack there of. We signed a parking disclosure stating where we could and could not park and/or have our guests park. Apparently, the developer has no regard for signed agreements. "No Parking" signs are popping up all over the neighborhood even in places where our disclosure forms alotted for parking. The Neighborhood Council has done nothing about it, nor has the management company who oversees all of Riverpark. I liked the idea of living in a master planned community because I thought the HOA (which we pay a pretty penny for) would look out for the well being of the community. I was so wrong.

And don't get me started on the fact that the Town Center (which was supposed to open a year ago) is at a standstill and will likely not be open by the scheduled fall opening. We were all sold on this idea of a self-contained community and a year later, I still have to go to the Vons in that hideous Walmart shopping center to get groceries.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 13,614 times
Hello everyone,

I'll be moving to the Ventura/Oxnard/Camarillo area for employment purposes in about a month. My fiancee and I came across Riverpark's website and absolutely love the condos/townhomes in the area. We have searched craigslist in attempt to find condos/townhomes for rent via a landlord or realtor, but haven't had much luck. Does anyone here know if many units are being rented out?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Old 04-21-2010, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 18,530 times
Hello All,
My fiancee and I are planning on moving to Oxnard in the very near future and came across RiverPark while house hunting. I would have to say that the prices seem very competitive for what the community is offering. One concern I have though, is the number of additional fees residents have to pay. From what we have researched, the HOA is in the $200+ range (which I feel is outrageously high), you also have to pay a Mellos Roos tax (can anyone explain to me what exactly this tax does, that your other taxes don't already do?), you have to pay your property tax, and an oxnard tax. All these taxes and extra fees seem like they could easily bump your monthly payments at least by $500 a month and to us that is a big turn off. Are there any other taxes/fees Riverpark residents have to pay? Do most residents also pay extra for flood insurance because of the area in which RiverPark was built? Is the HOA really as bad as people have described on these forums, because I am not one to pay someone $200 a month to do nothing when called upon. Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulaker View Post
Hello All,
My fiancee and I are planning on moving to Oxnard in the very near future and came across RiverPark while house hunting. I would have to say that the prices seem very competitive for what the community is offering. One concern I have though, is the number of additional fees residents have to pay. From what we have researched, the HOA is in the $200+ range (which I feel is outrageously high), you also have to pay a Mellos Roos tax (can anyone explain to me what exactly this tax does, that your other taxes don't already do?), you have to pay your property tax, and an oxnard tax. All these taxes and extra fees seem like they could easily bump your monthly payments at least by $500 a month and to us that is a big turn off. Are there any other taxes/fees Riverpark residents have to pay? Do most residents also pay extra for flood insurance because of the area in which RiverPark was built? Is the HOA really as bad as people have described on these forums, because I am not one to pay someone $200 a month to do nothing when called upon. Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Cannot answer all of your questions. Here are the ones I can answer:

You do not have to buy flood insurance. FEMA backed off the issue in Oxnard. More info here: Floodzone Justice Association

Mello-Roos fees are additional assessments that help pay for streets, landscaping and other services the Riverpark development as a whole requires. This is not the same as HOA fees. As you correctly stated, you have those as well.

In addition to Mello-Roos and HOA, you also pay the normal property tax to the County. Current rate for Oxnard property owners is around 1.35% of the purchase price, once you factor in all of the bonds property owners are repaying (school, college, roads and water). Riverpark is not cheap, though home prices there have come down dramatically. You can probably get an excellent deal on your home, if nothing else. The community has great promise, that's for sure.

Another thing to consider is that rumor has it that the developer of the Whole Foods Market Place is on the verge of bankruptcy. If he goes belly-up, who knows what will happen with the new shopping center. The city might step in and subsidize the developer to get the project completed, but who knows? The city is already loaning the Wagon Wheel developer several million dollars to keep that project on track. Uncertain financial times in O-Town when the city has to subsidize private developers. Tax payers to the rescue!

Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 18,530 times
Winston Smith,
Thank you for your reply. As far as these Mello-Roos fees are concerned, you say they pay for the streets, landscaping and other services in the Riverpark community, but isn't that was HOA fees are for? If those services are covered by the Mello-Roos tax, then what exactly are you getting with the money you are paying for HOA? I mean the rate of your HOA fees in Riverpark are really mindblowing to me. I know people who live in gated communities in both Porter Ranch and Thousand Oaks who don't pay anywhere near the HOA fees that Riverpark residents do. Also, do your HOA fees ever change, or are they constant? Thanks again for your prompt response.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trulaker View Post
Winston Smith,
Thank you for your reply. As far as these Mello-Roos fees are concerned, you say they pay for the streets, landscaping and other services in the Riverpark community, but isn't that was HOA fees are for? If those services are covered by the Mello-Roos tax, then what exactly are you getting with the money you are paying for HOA? I mean the rate of your HOA fees in Riverpark are really mindblowing to me. I know people who live in gated communities in both Porter Ranch and Thousand Oaks who don't pay anywhere near the HOA fees that Riverpark residents do. Also, do your HOA fees ever change, or are they constant? Thanks again for your prompt response.
I don't know specifically what the Mello-Roos in Riverpark covers, but it's usually things that the HOA does not. The HOA might cover things related to the buildings or grounds maintenance in private common areas. The Mello-Roos is a fee covering City-maintained spaces. The streets, for instance, are public, as are the parks, bikeways, etc. These things are public spaces and maintained by the public (a.k.a. City). But since the presumption is that the major benefit of these spaces in Riverpark will be for the citizens there, the onerous is on them to pay a majority share.

It's one of those things that in order to get projects like Riverpark approved in the first place, the developer has to show how the rest of the city will not be subsidizing the maintenance of the new development. Anyone who knows more about Mello-Roos and the ones assessed on Riverpark in particular, please do chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County