Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM

20,705 posts, read 19,880,600 times

Advertisements

I would recommend you move here. Into a rental apartment. Check out the area and decide for yourself.

Oxnard has good areas and bad areas like EVERY OTHER city.

I live in South Oxnard. I am happy. Have a nice house with a HUGE yard and a tiny mortgage. The market about the $300k range is competitive though, it might take you a while to find something. If you need a good realtor, I can refer you to one.

We are military, too and my husband drives 3 minutes to the main gate at the Navy Base. Alot of military people live right across the main gate area.

My other neighbors are mostly Mexicans, so what? They are friendly and nice. Bring me strawberries from the fields they are working on and they are all hard working people. I recently woke up at night because my neighbor rang the doorbell. He told me I forgot to close my garage door and it was wide open, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, bicycles and all the keys just everywhere. Nobody stole ANYTHING.

If you don't have kids, you don't have to worry about schools, that makes it so much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:08 PM

BTW, I don't know about the sex offenders in Pt. Hueneme, but alot of offenders usually molested little girls or boys to whom they are related to.

No need to worry if you are a grown up woman. Just don't hang around outside at night!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:23 PM

126 posts, read 218,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaneskygh View Post
It is hard, nearly impossible to find a house under 300k in Ventura or Camarillo, so I'm looking more in Oxnard. You mentioned North Oxnard, but isn't it that area close to La Colonia and El Rio? I read other posts saying that they are not good neighborhoods.
I live in the West Village neighborhood which is near La Colonia and El Rio but the crime doesn't spread into West Village, East Village (which is across Rose Ave. from West Village). West and East Village neighborhoods are fairly new areas of North Oxnard. The homes were built between 1999 and 2005. I see people all the time jogging, walking dogs, kids playing, riding bikes. People constantly play sports at the West Village park.

I'm on my second year living in West Village and haven't had any problems whatsoever. The houses are in the $300k range. Of course, there are homes that'll cost you a lot more, but for a 3 bed, 2 bath single family home, I believe you can find some between $310k - $325k.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Is the West Village area without Mello Roos?

I saw the HOA is about $20/month, that is awesome.

I think in Riverpark it is around $250. If you have a $1,600 mortgage plus $250 HOA plus $300 Mello Roos, that is quite a chunk of money every month.

In that case it makes more sense to spend $100,000 more on a house and no HOA or Mello Roos.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM

126 posts, read 218,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Is the West Village area without Mello Roos?

I saw the HOA is about $20/month, that is awesome.

I think in Riverpark it is around $250. If you have a $1,600 mortgage plus $250 HOA plus $300 Mello Roos, that is quite a chunk of money every month.

In that case it makes more sense to spend $100,000 more on a house and no HOA or Mello Roos.
There's no Mello Roos in West Village, at least I know I don't pay any such fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County