Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 67,841 times

Advertisements

Among the many prior posts I came across a couple that allude to micro-climates within Canejo Valley, and got to wondering how distinctive these might be, if actually evident, within nearly ideal valley-wide weather conditions.

Clearly, it's a subjective matter, so I'd state my personal preferences as:
-low humidity and dew points
-highs seldom higher than 90, rare or no 100s, open windows in lieu of AC
-lows into the 40s ok during winter, rare or no freezing
-some seasonal variety welcome
-breezes welcome in summer
-Simi Valley, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village and points east strike me as hotter than I'd like
-the moderate Camarillo and Ventura weather may offer a less variety than I'd like.
Not being there, I may be wrong on the last two points and will welcome any correction.

If Canejo Valley micro-climates are evident, which are highest on your list, and which do you think closest to my wish list?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
Thousand Oaks--only above 95 in summer rarely. I use a/c maybe 7x during a whole summer. Nice, dry climate. Seasons only evident with deciduous trees. Gets the Santa Ana winds, and breezes. Camarillo and northward, lots of foggy, chilly days. Simi and Agoura considerably hotter, sometimes 10 degrees more.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdv57 View Post
Among the many prior posts I came across a couple that allude to micro-climates within Canejo Valley, and got to wondering how distinctive these might be, if actually evident, within nearly ideal valley-wide weather conditions.

Clearly, it's a subjective matter, so I'd state my personal preferences as:
-Simi Valley, Agoura Hills, Westlake Village and points east strike me as hotter than I'd like
-the moderate Camarillo and Ventura weather may offer a less variety than I'd like.
Not being there, I may be wrong on the last two points and will welcome any correction.

If Canejo Valley micro-climates are evident, which are highest on your list, and which do you think closest to my wish list?

Thanks in advance.

Spelled Conejo, that's rabbit in Spanish.

Camarillo, Simi Valley, and Ventura aren't in the Conejo Valley (if that's what is implied).

Otherwise, the Conejo Valley weather is pretty much the same everywhere from Old Agoura to Newbury Park. It doesn't change that much. So, I would say there really aren't microclimates in the Conejo Valley. Ventura County for sure.

But otherwise, these describe Conejo Valley climate quite accurately:

Old 11-04-2012, 03:19 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Yes, the weather in the Conejo Valley is pretty uniform. Though there are a few things I notice, for example, in the morning it usually stays overcast the longest in Newbury park. The temps are a bit more extreme in the Westlake/Oak part/agoura area, that is, it often is cooler at night and a bit warmer during the day than Thousand Oaks. But Agoura Hills is by no means 10 degrees warmer than Thousand Oaks in the summer (these cities are essentially connected....with no natural barriers to create such a large weather differences).

Simi Valley, Ventura and Camarillo aren't in the Conejo valley and all have different weather.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:03 PM

22 posts, read 67,841 times
Thanks all for the input.
I gather the weather is generally consistent across the valley, with perhaps gently increasing summer heat to the east.
I do recognize Conejo Valley's geographic footprint, but appreciate the spelling correction.

Since posting, I've tried to open my mind to other possibilities (should home prices and living costs escalate out of hand for us) and started considering Camarillo and Moorpark.

The question about Moorpark is how its climate (generally) compares to Thousand Oaks: same, a couple of degrees warmer, 5 or more degrees warmer in summer?

Regarding Camarillo, nighlysparrow alludes to foggy and chilly days, while some past posts talk about near idyllic weather there. Might be a mater of perspectives, so additional views are welcome.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdv57 View Post

The question about Moorpark is how its climate (generally) compares to Thousand Oaks: same, a couple of degrees warmer, 5 or more degrees warmer in summer?

Regarding Camarillo, nighlysparrow alludes to foggy and chilly days, while some past posts talk about near idyllic weather there. Might be a mater of perspectives, so additional views are welcome.
Moorpark is a little cooler than the Conejo Valley in summer.

Camarillo is beautiful in summer, no AC needed.

Guestimate typical summer highs, F:

TO 87
Moorpark 83
Camarillo 78

Old 11-05-2012, 04:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,035,823 times
rdv57,

Remember, Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park is in a valley surrounded by hills/mountains which separate it from the ocean, and Moorpark is a little removed from the center of the valley, so it's less warm. They even get occasional freezes because it's up against the mountains.This doesn't happen in Thousand Oaks. Valleys are always warmer. But after you drive over the grade into Camarillo, it's a flat plain all the way to the ocean (and this can also be said for Port Hueneme, Oxnard and Ventura).
Therefore, Cam sees morning fog frequently, is windier, and can get chilly, especially in winter. Summers are cooler than in the Conejo. A sizzlingly hot day in Ventura is 83 degrees, no joke!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:06 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Yea and we just had one of those sizzling hot days yesterday. We were dying in the 85 degree heat wave that has been sitting in the Oxnard plain the past few days. (Oxnard plain starts at the West side of the grade out toward the ocean. Includes Camarillo, Oxnard, Port Hueneme and part of Ventura. )

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 11-07-2012 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM

The coldest winters I ever spent were the summers I worked at Point Mugu. Weather there is like San Francisco. In June it is gloomy and very chilly.

I remember once when I was living in Moorpark, we had a July 4th employee party at Point Mugu at lunch (probably on the 2nd or 3rd). It was 58F, I was wearing a down jacket. Later when I drove home, it was in the 80s in Moorpark.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Yup Charles,

That has always been my life. We grew up waiting for June to get over so we could have some summer sun. LOL. But then we always seemed to have a nice August, September, and October, for the most part anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County