Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 8,099 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am in a process of buying house. I am originally from Europe, so forgive my English, if I make some grammatical or stylistic mistakes. I have business in US in international logistics field, in LA and NY. I am moving here with my wife, so there are two of us only. My daughter from my previous marriage is 17 now, lives here in West Hills with my ex, so I'm looking for a house for two adults I am 44, my wife is 34. I am not attached to my office, I mean I don't have to commute to the office every day, I can work from home. My wife will work possibly in Encino area. Our budget is $600-$650K. I personally know Los Angeles area pretty good , not as good as residents, of course, but I lived here in different times and traveled back and forth from Europe since 1993. We want house with private pool/spa and maximum possible privacy in back yard, with no...visible neighbors behind. We like to entertain, have many friends here, so private and nice back yard is important. Safety is important option too, we don't care much about good schools though, but I think it's connected more or less. We looked some houses in Simi Valley and we loved the area, I've never been there before and we drove around and liked it a lot. The other area we consider is Valencia, liked a few houses there - we look for newer constructions, 1999-2000 and newer, however we can be more flexible, depends on certain house. We don't mind to drive somewhat longer, but to get better house for the money.
Questions.
1. What parts of Simi Valley is better?
2. What part of Valencia is better? I know that there are better and worse parts.
3. Clean air?
4. Any other suggestions about some other areas?
5. Any opinions and advises I will greatly appreciate

Thank You very much for Your patient reading of this post and help! Good luck to all of You!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Thousand Oaks may be a good choice, because it has easy access to both the 101 freeway (goes to Encino and West Hills) and the 118 freeway. There's almost no crime. Lots of large houses and yards.

The western end of Simi like the Wood Ranch houses are also good.

There is no good air in southern CA!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Both Simi and Valencia (Santa Clarita) seem too unnecessarily far if the only commuting requirement is to Encino.

Why not Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, Calabasas, West Hills, Agoura Hills, Oak Park, Westlake Village, Thousand Oaks?

Here you go, Woodland Hills, recent sale $620K

4409 ENSENADA Dr, Woodland Hills, CA 91364 | MLS# F12058068 | Redfin

from

Real Estate Search | Redfin

Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Yeah, I wouldn't live in Simi or Valencia if you are working in Encino. You need to be along the 101.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,096 times
Valencia is a community within the Santa Clarita valley. Most of it sits within city limits, though the new stuff is in unincorporated LA county. Nearly all of it is suburban stucco box safe, clean and sterile. It is bordered by Newhall, Saugus, Stevenson Ranch and Canyon Country. All (plus a few more communities) are in the Santa Clarita Valley.

Much of Valencia is connected by a network of walking trails / "paseos"

If the longer commute doesn't bother you consider looking in Granary Square. It has the best "paseo" access to shopping and transit. If you want something newer, check out Northbridge and Northpark. All of it can be found off McBean Parkway.

I'd advise to stay away from the new stuff in West Creek. Take a look on the map - it is very close to the Pitchess "Supermax" prison. It's also a bit disconnected from the rest of the valley.

Folks tend to move to SCV for the schools then leave after the kids graduate high school. This is evidenced by the fact that there is only one hospital in town and one cemetery -- for a valley of 270k+ residents. So quite a few young families -- that may or may not be a deterrent.

Beware - the Santa Clarita Valley gets extreme temps. Summers (and the edges of spring & fall) are typically over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. Winters are quite cold. It is typically more windy. So on top of the commute cost, expect higher energy bills and to spend less time outside. That was ultimately why we left.

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:44 AM

74 posts, read 198,413 times
Hi there! As a resident of Simi Valley (and former resident of both Thousand Oaks & Woodland Hills), I must disagree with an earlier post - the 101 freeway is so congested that taking the 118 to 405 into Encino is FAR faster!! And it will be a much quicker commute than Valencia.

That said, I can't speak to Valencia although I've heard it's a lovely community - I'll just give you my perspective on Simi Valley. It's very private and, as far as southern California goes, you'll be getting a lot for your money. Because of the recent real estate crash, you'll also be able to take advantage of highly upgraded, beautifully appointed homes at 30% less than what many owners paid for them.

Before I moved to Simi, I only would have recommended the Wood Ranch neighborhood, which I still think is lovely albeit a bit far for an Encino commute. If you would like a newer construction home with privacy, pool, etc., I would recommend the following neighborhoods/developments - Big Sky, Wild Horse Canyon, Madison County & Indian Hills. Any of the neighborhoods off Yosemite are also beautiful (on the East end of town).

Best of luck!

Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Thousand Oaks is better for those who work at home because it has been wired for Verizon FIOS internet.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalmommie View Post
Hi there! As a resident of Simi Valley (and former resident of both Thousand Oaks & Woodland Hills), I must disagree with an earlier post - the 101 freeway is so congested that taking the 118 to 405 into Encino is FAR faster!! And it will be a much quicker commute than Valencia.
No, its not "far faster".....In fact your claim is just a bit ridiculous...... Even at 7~8 am there isn't much traffic on the south 101 until you get Topanga or so but at that point Encino is just a few miles away. You hit more traffic on the 405! But the trip from Simi is 3~4 times longer......as well. The commute from Simi Valley would be terrible, the commute from the Conejo Valley is rather reasonable. This is part of the reason why the Conejo Valley is more expensive than Simi Valley, it has quicker access to key areas of Los Angeles.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
Beware - the Santa Clarita Valley gets extreme temps. Summers (and the edges of spring & fall) are typically over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. Winters are quite cold. It is typically more windy. So on top of the commute cost, expect higher energy bills and to spend less time outside. That was ultimately why we left.
"Extreme"? Not really...but it certainly gets hot in the summer. Regardless, the heat in the Santa Clarita Valley and Simi Valley isn't too different. Weather shouldn't really be a factor in the choice between the two areas.

Needless to say you'd only expect higher energy bills if you insisted on using the AC all the time. There is really no need for that since it cools at night. The house will maintain a reasonable temp during the day and in the evening you can use a large house fan (one that sucks air out of the house/attic).

Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM

699 posts, read 1,344,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
"Extreme"? Not really...but it certainly gets hot in the summer. Regardless, the heat in the Santa Clarita Valley and Simi Valley isn't too different. Weather shouldn't really be a factor in the choice between the two areas.

Needless to say you'd only expect higher energy bills if you insisted on using the AC all the time. There is really no need for that since it cools at night. The house will maintain a reasonable temp during the day and in the evening you can use a large house fan (one that sucks air out of the house/attic).
Clearly, you haven't lived in the Santa Clarita Valley.

We left a couple of years ago. The month before we left, it snowed. Twice. An anomaly, sure, but one that happens every few years. Overnight lows are typically 20-30 degrees lower than the coastal plain. Year-round wind advisories are frequent.

Regarding air conditioning... it is very frequently over 100 degrees in the months before, during and after summer. Those are the temps in the shade -- in the direct sun, 110+ is typical. If you like to walk (as I do), you will hear the whirring of air conditioning units on block after block for five months out of the year. And yes, even at night as the asphalt of SCV's endless development locks in a ton of heat. We sat out on our patio many a night with a home-grown misting system listening to the AC's blaring long into the night. AC is a must have for many households in SCV.

Hell, excluding Palmdale/Lancaster, I can't think of a more "extreme" micro-climate in the metro area than Santa Clarita. Can you?

Last edited by HSP1161; 11-27-2012 at 04:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County