U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 PM

4,755 posts, read 9,920,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Like I said, "cities the size of Thousand oaks". There is nothing special about the shopping in Thousand Oaks, just your usual suburb stuff.
Yes, but look at how Oxnard and Ventura and Simi Valley and Camarillo don't have Whole Foods or Nordstrom's. Also, look at Lancaster and other cities without a mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM

12,476 posts, read 16,106,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yes, but look at how Oxnard and Ventura and Simi Valley and Camarillo don't have Whole Foods or Nordstrom's.
That is just two stores, obviously every city isn't going to have the exact same shops. But there is nothing exceptional about the shopping in Thousand Oaks, just your standard stuff.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 AM

4,755 posts, read 9,920,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
That is just two stores, obviously every city isn't going to have the exact same shops. But there is nothing exceptional about the shopping in Thousand Oaks, just your standard stuff.
One is a department store and the other a natural food market. There are several smaller stores too in the mall you only find a larger-wealthy urban area.

It's also a large movie theater and Muvico is a pretty high end theater that offers dinners.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:29 PM

126 posts, read 137,753 times
Default Shopping in TO

Also, I will add that The Oaks Mall is definitely visually appealing especially with its outdoor area that leads up to the Muvioco theater.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:29 AM

36 posts, read 71,408 times
From the perspective of a Mexican American, this place has some of the worst "under the rug" racism. There is definitely alot of snears and dirty looks walking around the town. The talking down to Mexicans and African Americans, mainly by our white skinned amigos, is absurd. Raising a minority child in this area definitely gives them a higher chance if developing an inferiority complex. I do agree that people don't have to worry about crime or bad teachers, but please be aware that racism is alive and thriving, especially in thousand oaks. Due to the fact that there is a higher concentration of white older retirees, alot of them are "set in there ways." Translation: A nice way of saying sure he/sh is a racist,homophobe, sexist. I'm just giving my honest opinion, I wish one day this racism #&$ will come to an end.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Thousand Oaks has a healthy Hispanic population and I haven't seen anymore "under the rug" racism here than I have in other places. All cities are going to have racism individuals in them and racism is not isolated to old white people.....

As for as retirees, Thousand Oaks doesn't have a high concentration of retirees. The 65+ cohort make up 15% of Thousand oaks' population, where as the figure is 13% for the United States as a whole.

Lastly, I'd like to point out the irony of your post. While complaining about racism, you've managed to suggest that older white people are "racist, homophobic and sexist".

Old 06-27-2012, 11:44 PM

51 posts, read 89,870 times
I'm African-American and have always felt comfortable here. Granted, I was called a racial slur by someone yelling out of a car some months back, but that sort of thing can happen anywhere and it was the first time anything like that happened. Other than that, I have never encountered anyone racist or been talked down to.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 AM

I just needed to give my pov about thousand oaks. I think anytime there is a heavy concentration of a particular race in one area, I don't think it allows for any "outside the box" ideologies and racial feelings fall into this category. Thousand Oaks is not a bad place to live, but given the cost of homes here and lack of jobs, I would never recommend it. I apologize of I came across as a reverse racist, but I was simply giving an example based on the area. You could easily replace old, white, retiree with young, brown, and unemployed, my point was with the saying "stuck in there ways."

Main point: this place can be uncomfortable for minorities at times. Most, but not all my minority friends have expressed this same feeling.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 AM

People experience different things depending on their perceptions, if you believe that old white people are "racist, homophobic, and sexist" then you're going to interpret their actions in that context. Furthermore, you're going to tend to forget all the old white people that treated you just like everyone else and instead remember the handful that happened to be racist.

As far as "heavy concentration", what ratios constitute a heavy concentration? Thousand Oaks has roughly the same number of whites as the nation as a whole (in both cases around 80%) and as I pointed out previously the 65+ age group is only slightly bigger in Thousand Oaks than the nation as a whole (15% vs 13% of the population). Therefore, if someone is uncomfortable with the racial demographics of Thousand Oaks they are also going to be uncomfortable with the majority of the United States.

If someone isn't white and they need to live around a certain percent of their racial group to feel comfortable then Thousand Oaks may not be for them. But the facts about the city don't support the idea that Thousand Oaks is a racist city in comparison to others. There are little to no hate crimes in the city, the city has a very high level of educational attainment which is inversely correlated with racism, it has a growing Asian and Hispanic population, etc.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM

California is often send to be a melting pot of different kinds of people. My comparison to thousand oaks is using southern and northern California as guidelines. From my experiences, the older white retired population seemed to give me more of the uncomfortable looks and prolonged stares, similar to the looks Marty mcfly gets when he travels back in time . I also applied for numerous jobs (at least 10) in thousand oaks during high school and never got one. The one time I applied at a Kohl's in Ventura, I got an immediate interview.

Racism shouldn't give people an excuse to blame the world, but down playing it and not acknowledging it absolutely exist is absurd. Many people do live around there own race, I think for these very reasons. User id took the time to get his facts and intelligently make his argument. My information is based on first hand experiences and feelings, not yet published in any kind of book. The only thing I ask is if user id would acknowledge this issue absolutely exists and TO is not some utopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County