Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:00 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Oxnard will allow just about anything, so it probably would be easier. But they aren't going to open a store somewhere just because its easier, it has to make sense. And since Oxnard isn't, in itself, a good demographic fit for whole foods they were likely looking for a good mid point between Ventura and Camarillo.
I don't know. It has the largest population and plenty of educated and rich people who live in North Oxnard and the Oxnard Shores area. I still find it odd though that Oxnard has no Trader Joe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I don't know. It has the largest population and plenty of educated and rich people who live in North Oxnard and the Oxnard Shores area. I still find it odd though that Oxnard has no Trader Joe's.
Trader Joe's puts its stores within blocks of major freeways for ease of delivery purposes. In Oxnard, with only a couple of miles of freeway, such a location is limited. That's been my guess since reading about some of Trader Joe's business strategies.

Besides, the Victoria store is closer to many areas of Oxnard than Ventura. That store is around three miles from north Oxnard, and around 5 miles from west Oxnard. From Port Hueneme, the store is around 8 miles. It's somewhere around 10 miles from west Ventura and around 5 miles from east Ventura. The store is three blocks from the 101, so I think TJ's strategy for that location was surely planned to serve the whole area, plus serve TJ's delivery concept, with quick on/off from highway 101.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 02-16-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,078,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Trader Joe's puts its stores within blocks of major freeways for ease of delivery purposes. In Oxnard, with only a couple of miles of freeway, such a location is limited. That's been my guess since reading about some of Trader Joe's business strategies.
You can find numerous Trader Joe's that aren't within blocks of a major freeway, for example there is one on Moorpark Road in Thousand Oaks. Trader Joe's isn't in Oxnard because Oxnard isn't a good demographic fit for its stores...

Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Yes, it has the largest population but that doesn't matter if the population ins't a good fit for your stores. Oxnard doesn't have "plenty of educated and rich" people, its primarily low/mid income. But as I mentioned before, just because you have money doesn't mean you want to shop at whole foods.

I don't think the lack of Trader Joe's is odd, Oxnard just isn't a good demographic fit for the stores.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, it has the largest population but that doesn't matter if the population ins't a good fit for your stores. Oxnard doesn't have "plenty of educated and rich" people, its primarily low/mid income. But as I mentioned before, just because you have money doesn't mean you want to shop at whole foods.

I don't think the lack of Trader Joe's is odd, Oxnard just isn't a good demographic fit for the stores.
Deja vu all over again. You don't know what you're spouting about, as usual. But, u da man -- in your own mind!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Deja vu all over again. You don't know what you're spouting about, as usual. But, u da man -- in your own mind!
Yes, Deja Vu, you tell me I'm wrong without substantiating your point of view. Oxnard is ~70% (and growing) Hispanic while Trader Joe's is by no means a store that targets this demographic. Given the demographics, again ~70% Hispanic, its not surprising that you find Mexican grocery stores but no Trader Joe's. And we aren't talking about Americanized Hispanics, ~70% of Oxnard households speak a language other than English at home. Furthermore, just 15% of Oxnard residents have a bachelors degree or higher

You can find Trader Joe's that aren't near highways throughout LA county and as I pointed out, here in Ventura County as well, using this to explain the lack of a Trader Joe's in Oxnard makes little sense....especially when there is a much more obvious reason.

Last edited by user_id; 02-17-2013 at 12:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, Deja Vu, you tell me I'm wrong without substantiating your point of view. Oxnard is ~70% (and growing) Hispanic while Trader Joe's is by no means a store that targets this demographic. Given the demographics, again ~70% Hispanic, its not surprising that you find Mexican grocery stores but no Trader Joe's. And we aren't talking about Americanized Hispanics, ~70% of Oxnard households speak a language other than English at home. Furthermore, just 15% of Oxnard residents have a bachelors degree or higher

You can find Trader Joe's that aren't near highways throughout LA county and as I pointed out, here in Ventura County as well, using this to explain the lack of a Trader Joe's in Oxnard makes little sense....especially when there is a much more obvious reason.
Hispanics don't shop at TJ's? Really? So I guess all of the "vamos a ver... podemos comprar..." I hear in there is just, what, mono-lingual Americans practicing their español? Or maybe in your one dimensional world, all Latins shop only at la panderia y la carniceria. They never leave the "barrio" or venture beyond the corner taco stand, other than to pick celery at 5 a.m. Is that it?

And the freeway proximity is not my theory. This is what TJ's themselves has said is what they look for! Call me out if you like, but I'm just a parrot based on what I've read about TJ's.

Oh, and I didn't know you needed a bachelor's degree to shop in TJ's. Are you seriously that low on arguments these days? Nod "yes"!

P.S. I speak 5 languages. English is NOT my first language. So what. I don't fit the TJ demographic then? Strange, cuz I shop there all the time!

P.P.S. According to US Census data, Oxnard has tremendous gaps in incomes all over the city, so your broad strokes do not adequately describe much. Educate yourself: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-29-2013 at 06:52 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Hispanics don't shop at TJ's? Really?
I never suggested such a thing, instead (immigrant) Hispanic communities don't represent a good demographic fit for Trader Joe's. That should be obvious though, Trader Joe's doesn't offer products that target that market niche. To justify a store you not only need some shoppers, you need an ample amount of shoppers.

Quote:
And the freeway proximity is not my theory. This is what TJ's themselves has said is what they look for! Call me out if you like, but I'm just a parrot based on what I've read about TJ's.
It very well may be something they look for, but given that you can find numerous Trader Joe's that are miles from highways it is by no means the only thing they look for so using it to explain the lack of Trader Joe's in Oxnard is strange.

As for educational attainment, well, its one of the key demographics a store is going to look at! People with higher educational attainment shop differently for food than people with lower educational attainment. Now you are free to mock this all you wish, but its common knowledge to anybody in business.

Oxnard, like any city, is not completely uniform. I have never suggested that Oxnard is uniform, instead I've cited facts about the city. The pockets of affluence in Oxnard aren't large enough to support a Trader Joe's and that is why the company has yet to build a store in Oxnard. The company isn't stupid, it didn't skip over Oxnard merely because it couldn't find a location right by the 101.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I'm surprised that the Whole Foods in Thousand Oaks is not larger and set up better. I have been to Whole Foods out of state and only this one in CA. The ones out of state were much larger with more products and even with a large area to eat in.
The WF that is in Oxnard with that new shopping area I thought was possibly put up to help attract a more upscale demographic?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Santa Maria, CA is about 60% Hispanic and has a Trader Joe's. My old town had a population of 8,000 people and had a Trader Joe's for the sole grocery store. The old area I lived in the Trader Joe's pulled from 30,000 population. It took that my town was mostly white middle and upper middle class educated folk, and the people from other towns had similar demographics.

I am sure Oxnard has at least 30,000-45,000 population that can meet Trader Joe's demographic. Problem I think though is getting a good location store where that demographic lives.

Also, the Trader Joe's in Goleta and San Luis Obispo are not that close to the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County