Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 14,052 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, currently looking at single family houses around North Oxnard. West Village, East Village, or Riverpark to be specific. Currently live in Newbury Park and work in TO so freeway access is a must.

My question is, how safe is North Oxnard? I have heard some things about 'Colonia', but word is, it's not really that bad. It's right smack in the middle and just borders West and East Villages (which I've driven around recently and they look nice and quiet neighborhoods). Riverpark looks really great, too, but the Mello-Roos is a bit steep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,869 times
You should be fine. Depends on exactly where you want to go in North Oxnard. I'm in Riverpark though.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 PM

168 posts, read 549,245 times
i moved from thousand oaks to East Village 3 years ago and was an excellent value, we still have a rental property in thousand oaks and I work in westlake. My next door neighbor is an engineer at Haas and he moved here from Camarillo recently. If you have any specific questions or concerns feel free to message me.

I also checked out River Park and it wasn't a good fit for me because of Melo Roos and seems too busy for me. I choose East Village because it is secluded away from town and next to the Freeway.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 AM

6 posts, read 14,052 times
Yeah, the dollar/square-foot is much lower. More house for the buck. Don't really mind the extra 15-20 minute drive to be honest. Just really curious about the neighborhood vibe since I'm not too familiar with Oxnard. Kids already in College, so no problem. Anyway, East Village maybe a bit quieter like you mentioned as West is a bit closer to commercial establishments and that big high-school. Just waiting on them houses to pop-up at the moment. We started looking last month and we just missed a number of nice houses by a month or two. The inventory is so low right now that they go so quick. You really have to offer over asking price. How much did you get yours?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:39 AM

168 posts, read 549,245 times
If your kids are in college then local schools discussion is a moot point. The neighborhood is quiet. The demographic of East Village according to 2010 goverment Cencus is pretty diverse approximately 30% White 30% Hispanics and 30% Asian being the largest 3 groups of the pie chart. Most of the families have median household income between $60K to $90K. Most families here are middle class young adults in their 30's or 40's with young children; I have seen retired folks too purchasing condos assuming they have down sized. The area is definitely SAFE. I reasearched the crime map data dated back 6 years on the Oxnard PD web site before I pick East Village. Just like you, I have never lived in Oxnard so I wanted to do my due diligent. I work as an investigator so I drove in to the neighborhood at different times of the day to monitor the demographic and the traffic/parking congestion. I also went to different neighbors and knock on doors and asked them about the neighborhood. The feedbacks from the residents are positive including interviews conducted with Renters. I live in the gated Seabreeze community so I work closely with my neighbors to report all if any unusual activies. I have not had any isues in the last 3 years. The walkability index is solid, people walk around here in the afternoon and morning all the time. The homes in this area are getting snatched up quicly by pent up demmands and investment firms. One of the house I saw they were asking $330K and the investment firm offered $380K cash to beat out everyone else. The homes around here don't stay active on the market for more than a few days. I monitored all the sales listings and noticed the status went from active to pending in a matter of days. When I was looking for my house , I had to create an email alert so as soon as a property hit the market I get immediate notification. I also browse the new listing at midnight. I remembered I saw my house listed at midnight and I emailed my realtor right away and he got back to me at 6:00 AM and we put in an offer at 8:00 PM the next day which is less than 24 hours. I understand what you mean when you really have to offer over asking price. To me the asking price in this current market is just a teaser to draw more attention and people in and outbid each other to increase the final sales price. When I bought my house in 2009 you can negociate down from the asking price but now it is a whole different ball game due to the low rates and high demmand; The rental market is heating up so many people feel it is worth is to finally get into a house. I sent you a message in your inbox regarding the requested information.

Last edited by 24hr7; 03-04-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 PM

126 posts, read 219,319 times
I moved from Camarillo to West Village and it is very much a quite area. Sure, there is Rose Ave with the traffic, but it's not bad at all. I think you can't go wrong with with East or West village. I like the fact that in West Village there is a neighborhood park, and also two extra parks right down the street from it.

You can see many people walking, running, kids playing. It's a nice area and people take care of their property. If this area was in Camarillo, the prices would be between $550k to $650k easily. People hear of Oxnard and think of crime and gang activity, but I haven't seen anything that would suggest the area is filled with crime and gang issues.

North Oxnard in general is a nice area, and it appears to be getting nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County