U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:19 PM

26,347 posts, read 77,190,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
True but your last edit was after I started writing my response.
Took you 23 minutes to post? Something seems odd. May be a CD timing thing? We're one hour off too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 01:35 AM

13 posts, read 68,701 times
Wow, I leave for a few hours and come back to three pages of replies! Thanks for the photos, Charles! I appreciate all the information from everyone!

Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM

9,639 posts, read 2,202,688 times
Thousand Oaks is an excellent place for a young family. I have lived here since the 70s when my parents moved us here from the San Fernando Valley (BEST move ever!). My husband and I have raised our two kids here and its been great. The schools are very good (in case you ever change your mind about homeschooling). There are also lots of homeschool groups that are active in the area. Lots of great sports for your son: AYSO soccer, Little League, Flag Football, Football, Tennis, Swimming, Golf & more. Great Park & Rec programs, too. Lots of safe parks/playgrounds for you to visit. Huge new wing of the library dedicated to kids.

We dont have the smog, crime, general filth, or graffiti that you'll find in other parts of the Los Angeles area. There are nice 'parts' of LA - but you go a couple blocks in any direction and you could be in a really bad area. Thousand Oaks does have older, less desirable areas, but they are not unsafe. The city has pretty strict rules about keeping the city clean.

Nightclubs, lively bars, etc are not a long drive. You can get to the excitement of the 'valley' or LA, then come home to nice, peaceful, SAFE Thousand Oaks

There is a great sense of community in most neighborhoods. There are quite a few stay at home moms, so you'll always run into other kids & moms around town.

If you are looking for diversity, that might be harder to find here. There are mostly caucasians, but there are also hispanics, asians, indians and african americans, too. I think everyone fits in. I do agree that this area is pretty conservative.

House prices do vary widely! I think the average price is probably about $650-$750k for a typical 3 bedroom single family home.

If you have any specific questions, please ask...

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 PM

5,835 posts, read 3,552,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah View Post
So I am browsing information online about Thousand Oaks, as I have heard it is a safe, nice area. True? I'm looking at some real estate websites and it seems like the prices of homes have a huge range..the lowest I've seen is $399k, the highest so far (and I'm sure it gets higher) is $17 mil. All in one area? Is that accurate? We're on the edge of a neighborhood here like that, with a mix of houses ~$300k up to the millions, so it seems believable to me (sorry, I'm really skeptical about reading things online!). Is the area overall safe, or are the cheaper homes in a sketchier part? Are there apartments in the area, and are they decent (ie, no bug infestations, generally safe, limited people into loud partying, etc)? We have a young son and we're set on homeschooling, so I'm not really concerned about the schools in the area. Anything I should know about the area?

Thanks!
Just wondering where you currently live? There are several nice apartments in the area near shopping,etc. Nothing to worry about living there except how long it may take you to go somewhere else. T.O. can be very inconvenient if you want to go into Los Angeles,Beverly Hills and beyond. People refer to the Conejo Valley as living in a bubble as you are very insulated from the rest of Los Angeles and areas north. Why Thousand Oaks and not Newbury Park,Oak Park or Agoura Hills?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:20 AM

2,767 posts, read 9,346,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Something you should know about Thousand Oaks ... if California was a human, Thousand Oaks is where you would insert the enema.
This and your other posts, DaBeez, cracked me up!!!

So if I can add my 2 about T.O. -- suburbia to the max, new baked SUVs, totally car based planning (or lack of it); forget walking or riding a bike -- you'll be run down or off the road. Conservative, Caucasian, hot in summer. T.O is great for those who like places where everything was "squeezed from the same tube" and manicured to the hilt.

T.O. is purportedly safe, but safety is relative and hugely dependent on who you are more so than where you are. I sure don't feel safe as a pedestrian in T.O.

But seriously, the best thing about T.O. for me is the sign that reads, "Welcome to the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area." When you see that sign, rest assured that the worst is over.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:17 AM

26,347 posts, read 77,190,744 times
Came across this classic shot of when the Dallas Cowboys practiced at California Lutheran University (then called California Lutheran College). Note the CLC on Mount Clef Ridge. The legendary Roger Staubach #12, Tom Landry and I think Craig Morton #14. That might be Dan Reeves #30 in the background, not sure.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/wallpaper/img/cowboys/hof/roger_staubach6_1024.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM

4,610 posts, read 9,726,866 times
Charles, When I was young I used to go watch them practice at CLU.

Now they practice in Oxnard. The stupid gang members in Oxnard can't wear their Dallas Cowboys shirts. Talk out an emema.....that's Oxnard.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Came across this classic shot of when the Dallas Cowboys practiced at California Lutheran University (then called California Lutheran College). Note the CLC on Mount Clef Ridge. The legendary Roger Staubach #12, Tom Landry and I think Craig Morton #14. That might be Dan Reeves #30 in the background, not sure.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/misc/wallpaper/img/cowboys/hof/roger_staubach6_1024.jpg (broken link)
Charles, what are you doing posting pictures of gang-bangers?

Old 11-06-2007, 02:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,501,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

1. Think Barsow California if the property values would jump up a bit. Then you would have Thousand Oaks.

2. I find T.O. (and Simi Valley and Moorpark) to be a bit "red-necky" where . .
1. With all respect, are you serious? You can get a home in Barstow for probably 250 or 300K. I'd rather live in Boyle Heights. I'm sure there aren't homes in Thousand Oaks for less than 700K. Barstow is in the middle of nowhere, and Thousand Oaks is in beautiful Ventura County. I think you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. Barstow home prices would have to do more than jump up a bit to reach thousand oaks, they would have to climb the mountain.

2. The Thousand Oaks areas is "red-necky", how much time have you spent in Thousand Oaks? This is absolutely an incorrect statement. How many rednecks choose to live close to the beach in California, in homes that are 700K to over a million? Nada.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
The Thousand Oaks areas is "red-necky", how much time have you spent in Thousand Oaks? This is absolutely an incorrect statement. How many rednecks choose to live close to the beach in California, in homes that are 700K to over a million? Nada.
Let's not kid ourselves. Ventura County is split. The "ragged" west County is "blue," liberal, and ethnically diverse. East Ventura County -- Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Simi -- is mainly Caucasian and rock-solid "red" conservative, i.e. Tom McClintock the Stricklands, etc. Some people love these traits of an area. For those of us who don't, DaBeez is correct, the view of east VC starts to look, eh-hem, a little "red-necky."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County