U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM

22 posts, read 24,884 times

Advertisements

Contemplating doing without the second car, using other modes for in-town errands (when I get to Cal.). Would appreciate feedback on the relative safety, comfort and convenience of travel in Camarillo, Moorpark and Thousand Oaks by:
-Bicycle
-”Motorized Bike” (up to 20 mph)
-”Motor-Driven Cycle” (up to 30 mph, 149cc or less)
-Scooter (150cc+, up to 60 mph)

I've ridden a bike recreationally (east coast) for many years , and there are times and places when/where it gets uncomfortable due to the proximity, volume and speed of cars. I lean towards the 60 mph scooter, to keep up with traffic on the main arterials, but would value experienced opinions on what would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 10:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,760,294 times
There are bicycle lanes in TO, don't know about other cities. Some motorized vehicles can't go on the freeway. Here's a link:

Motorized Vehicles

Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 PM

6,220 posts, read 11,901,796 times
you'll need 150cc+ to get between those three cities. there are a lot of hills around there which would be difficult on a bicycle. you'd also have real speed issues on anything under 150cc. luckily our weather is very friendly for two wheel commuters. even the coldest mornings can be dealt with if you have the appropriate gear.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 PM

26,362 posts, read 55,435,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdv57 View Post
Contemplating doing without the second car, using other modes for in-town errands (when I get to Cal.). Would appreciate feedback on the relative safety, comfort and convenience of travel in Camarillo, Moorpark and Thousand Oaks by:
-Bicycle

I've ridden a bike recreationally (east coast) for many years , and there are times and places when/where it gets uncomfortable due to the proximity, volume and speed of cars. I lean towards the 60 mph scooter, to keep up with traffic on the main arterials, but would value experienced opinions on what would work.
Just use the car. Why risk getting crippled or killed? You have a car that gets 25 MPG and you need to run a ten mile round trip errand. That will cost you a whopping $1.76 at $4.40 a gallon. And you can easily carry your load and you have the flexibility to carry more or make side trips.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 890,317 times
Quote:
-Bicycle

The answer to your question depends upon what exactly is the purpose of using the bike / scooter. Hauling groceries? Going to a big box store? Recreational riding? How comfortable are you in riding with traffic? How much traffic? How far are you willing to travel (one way)? Going between cities? There are too many variables which prevent pointing to one specific area as "bike friendly" and answer your question.

Here's an example. If all you're using a bike for is to go pick up something small at a grocery store, then there are areas in Camarillo which have relatively low volume of vehicle traffic and supports riding. Now if you want to go to Target in Camarillo, for example, you will have to negotiate multi-lane huge streets with high volume of traffic. There are certain roads in Camarillo which I will not go on with a bicycle, period. It's like this with just about all cities you mention, so none of them are any better than others. The bottom line is even though it is better than the east coast, these areas are still pretty much car-centric in many areas. My opinion is the "least worst" area would be downtown Camarillo, with some streets to avoid.

Of course, if you are riding recreationally and looking for a place to live as a "starting point", I would recommend eastern Camarillo or many areas of western T.O. and Newbury Park.

I personally don't see scooters working very well in Southern California. Cars travel faster in general here than in large urban areas and scooters are the worst of both worlds, too fast to be considered a bicycle and too slow to be considered a motorcycle.

In any case, two wheels have (up to much) more risk than 4 wheels.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
My general intent would be to use an alternative vehicle for shorter, off-peak in-town errand trips. From what I've gathered, it'll be the bike or a 50-60 mph machine, if at all.

Despite the fact that my 'American' Passat TDI averages around 40 mpg (and recognizing that diesel fuel costs 10~20% more), the cost of operating a car is above 50 cents per mile when all factors are considered, especially if it means having a second car not otherwise needed. But my goal would be less that than the simplicity, economy, and greater environmental friendliness of alternative travel.

Nonetheless, I agree with Charles and others that personal safety trumps other considerations. So my plan is to test my new surroundings (wherever that will turn out to be) by bicycle, judge the circumstances and safety, and take it from there.

Regardless, I look forward to biking the area recreationally, and plan to join one or more local bicycle clubs once I shake the rust off. Look forward to testing myself against the famed Norwegian Grade as a gauge.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
My general intent would be to use an alternative vehicle for shorter, off-peak in-town errand trips. From what I've gathered, it'll be the bike or a 50-60 mph machine, if at all.

Despite the fact that my 'American' Passat TDI averages around 40 mpg (and recognizing that diesel fuel costs 10~20% more), the cost of operating a car is above 50 cents per mile when all factors are considered, especially if it means having a second car not otherwise needed. But my goal would be less that than the simplicity, economy, and greater environmental friendliness of alternative travel.

Nonetheless, I agree with Charles and others that personal safety trumps other considerations. So my plan is to test my new surroundings (wherever that will turn out to be) by bicycle, judge the circumstances and safety, and take it from there.

Regardless, I look forward to biking the area recreationally, and plan to join one or more local bicycle clubs once I shake the rust off.
It's kind of sketchy to ride a bike to (partially) replace a car. You can maybe do it, but it depends upon many different things. I have occasionally ridden my bike to work in numerous occasions, but it's very difficult to make a blanket recommendation to others.

On the other hand, Ventura county is a recreational bicycle rider's dream! Lots of low traffic roads / hills / scenery / great weather for rides. You just have to know where to ride. Check out the Channel Islands club web site for road ride ideas and North Ranch Mountain bike club web site for off-road ride ideas.

Quote:
Look forward to testing myself against the famed Norwegian Grade as a gauge.
And after that try Balcom Canyon Road, Potrero Road, or most roads going up from PCH into the Santa Monica mountains!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
And after that try Balcom Canyon Road, Potrero Road, or most roads going up from PCH into the Santa Monica mountains!
(Optimistically) Yup!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Welp, after going through this thread, I decided to put my money where my posts are and either rode my motorcycle or bicycle to / from / after work, no 4 wheeled vehicles whatsoever for a whole week, and I loved it. That includes riding my motorcycle on 101 to go to lunch.

Went on Santa Rosa rode out and back on my road bike after work; despite the rush hour traffic, the ultra wide lanes off the side of the road (berms in PA speak) made the ride alright with me. Compared to riding a bicycle on the ultra-narrow east coast roads, I almost feel like I have a whole road to myself here. I also plan on riding my road bike out to PCH / Mugu Rock on Sunday morning. Hopefully I can squeeze in a mountain bike ride in Sycamore Canyon (state park) this weekend. Compared to Pennsylvania, this is bicycle heaven.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbatca View Post
Welp, after going through this thread, I decided to put my money where my posts are and either rode my motorcycle or bicycle to / from / after work, no 4 wheeled vehicles whatsoever for a whole week, and I loved it. That includes riding my motorcycle on 101 to go to lunch.

Went on Santa Rosa rode out and back on my road bike after work; despite the rush hour traffic, the ultra wide lanes off the side of the road (berms in PA speak) made the ride alright with me. Compared to riding a bicycle on the ultra-narrow east coast roads, I almost feel like I have a whole road to myself here. I also plan on riding my road bike out to PCH / Mugu Rock on Sunday morning. Hopefully I can squeeze in a mountain bike ride in Sycamore Canyon (state park) this weekend. Compared to Pennsylvania, this is bicycle heaven.
Did you make it out on your bike (the human powered one) again? Let us know.

While on temporary assignment in LA I had a chance to try out some local routes. Topanga Canyon, and Via Del Monte in Palos Verdes, were challenging enough for me. I made it to Zuma from Marina del Rey, and Mogu from Malibu Lagoon along the flatter PCH.

The upshot about roads is to be vigilant. Riding in Long Island, Tampa Bay area and LA environs confirmed that it is possible, even likely, to encounter worrisome stretches on most outings, so it pays to remain cautious and alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County